DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/3 - 4/9/2024 - Takeshita The Long Way Home

Yeah as much as the perception of Billy Gunn seems to have somehow been retconned to him now being a 'legend', the guy's always been a chud who was lazy, un-giving in the ring and big-leagued plenty of guys on the indies because of his size. Why he is getting the singles match here rather than Bowens or Caster is mind boggling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

It shouldn't have come as a surprise, though. Billy Gun has been the least giving old guy in AEW since day one.

And I'm worried this next comment will get me put on Jenalysis's "kick him in the balls" list, but... Jay White, a main event-level talent? I don't see it.

I really should change that to uppercut them in the balls list in honor of Jay's ballshot method of choice...

That said, Given how Jay's been treated in AEW, it's hard to see him at that level right now.  BCG is booked in AEW like how WWE would have booked LU's Worldwide Undergound if they had gotten them in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I was kinda fine with the Adam Copeland rah-rah speech. I agree with the sentiment. I did have a problem with the word "fun". Please don't use that in pro wrestling context. "Fun" will forever be all the things Vince made people do, on programming and otherwise. Having a blast or having the time of your life is fine, "fun" should be like saying "Benoit" or "Vince" in pro wrestling context from now on.

What? Why are you delegating the perfectly acceptable word Fun to all the worst things in wrestling? 

8 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

I really should change that to uppercut them in the balls list in honor of Jay's ballshot method of choice...

That said, Given how Jay's been treated in AEW, it's hard to see him at that level right now.  BCG is booked in AEW like how WWE would have booked LU's Worldwide Undergound if they had gotten them in 2019.

The shitty Assclaimed vacuum has certainly hurt, and the big stage MJF match played out horribly, so fair enough. It does feel like bad luck and a few poor decisions for a guy who they clearly think of as a future Champion. The entrance is spectacular, and outside of the glaring mistakes, he was booked strong in the Continental tournament and has had excellent bouts with Darby, Mox, Swerve, Briscoe, Rush, Hanger, etc. etc. 

40 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

They home invaded his house.

Let's not use any further logic for Assy singles. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What? Why are you delegating the perfectly acceptable word Fun to all the worst things in wrestling? 

Mostly because how he constantly made Michael Cole declare that everybody in the ring just "loved/liked to have fun" in wrestling context it's a Vinceism that I never care to hear again. When Vince was accused of being all molesty with that woman working in a tanning salon, he allegedly said to the woman, once she objected, that he "just wanted to have some fun" so I had that in mind, after all the even worse,  ahem, shit came out.

While never being completely serious when I write on this board and I don't mean that literally, still I don't want to hear "that word" in wrestling context, because I don't want the image of Vince shitting on someone's head in my mind any more than it unfortunately already is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

And I'm worried this next comment will get me put on Jenalysis's "kick him in the balls" list, but... Jay White, a main event-level talent? I don't see it.

He mained the Tokyo Dome and MSG before he was 30! 

• Like 3

Since I brought up the age of modern wrestlers in another thread, I have to share this tidbit I saw on FB: Billy Gunn is older than Iron Sheik when he won the gimmick battle royal...

The layout of that match with Jay was indefensible. If it goes long, Jay eventually takes out a leg and wins. If you want the 2000s WWE style finish, the whole thing shouldn't last more than 3 minutes.

Hearing about Cope's promo beforehand, I expected it to be way cringier. Probably didn't need to be done, but was executed as well as possible.

I know Thunder is owed one, but man she looks like she has no business at the top of the women's division. Toni guest commentary is always welcome, though.

I still have zero faith in Trent Beretta doing anything as a singles heel in AEW, but the turn itself was well done. Good bump by OC.

Interesting camera angle for the Willow promo. Mercedes coming out and big-timing the current TBS division seems like they're trying to set up a heel turn, but I'm not sure it can work with Mercedes so fresh. Probably better off turning Willow or at least Stat out of jealousy.

Contract signing was good. Perfect balance of pro wrestling violence and cheese.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention Toni absolutely breaking Excalibur with the line: "Mariah May reminds me of a young Toni Storm.  Thunder Rosa reminds me of an old Thunder Rosa."

Also tremendous how Swerve made goddamn sure to remove his fur coat before blading.

Anybody have a link to Trent's post-show promo?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Mostly because how he constantly made Michael Cole declare that everybody in the ring just "loved/liked to have fun" in wrestling context it's a Vinceism that I never care to hear again. When Vince was accused of being all molesty with that woman working in a tanning salon, he allegedly said to the woman, once she objected, that he "just wanted to have some fun" so I had that in mind, after all the even worse,  ahem, shit came out.

While never being completely serious when I write on this board and I don't mean that literally, still I don't want to hear "that word" in wrestling context, because I don't want the image of Vince shitting on someone's head in my mind any more than it unfortunately already is.

I didn't watch TV Wrestling for 15 plus years in large part due to the McMahon monopoly. I feel privileged to say I have no Vince-isms. Sorry for your loss of Fun. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I didn't watch TV Wrestling for 15 plus years in large part due to the McMahon monopoly. I feel privileged to say I have no Vince-isms. Sorry for your loss of Fun. 

Thanks! And if I live long enough to ever have fun, I hope the feeling won't be tainted, like the word is. Well, the entire word isn't, obviously, just  the times when people refer to it inside a wrestling ring.

Edited by Shartnado
added "be"
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shartnado is Finnish. He is ethnographically unable to experience what is known as fun. Do not disdain the man, rather pity him. 😛 

And to be honest, I thought I had fun once, back in the mid 90's, but I was later told that it was probably just mild allergic reaction.

• Haha 7

DYNAMITOOOOOOOOOO

Spoiler

I like the speech. And guess what? Pro Wrestling IS Fun. (Edge saying "Os-pree" is fun, too.) The man got a little hot over people dissing his current spot, and he could have said a lot of shit that was negative but stayed on a completely positive tip. Kudos. 

"This is sports, this is what it's all about" sez Callis. And there is no other sport where taking a jumping back bump from the second rope is done to hurt your opponent. Hobbs absolutely WRECKS Ospreay and even if (especially if) you hate him it would behoove you to watch this. I was never a fan of his high-flyer mode but it's the right choice to fight the power guy, and he has a lot of explosiveness in that flight. 

Archer vs. Danielson was Archer versus Danielson. You know what you're getting. Archer kicking the timekeeper full-on in the face just to bodyslam him on Danielson (and the tope-into-goozle-into-apron-chokeslam) was awesome. Had to rewind that a couple times. Also like how Danielson's braids are shaping up into full on white-boy crust dreads, if he wanted to go that route. It would fit the veggie land-lubber persona! As it is though, braids into ponytail is some fantastic wrestling hair. This match = Good Wrestling Hair. You even got a bald referee, like you should.

I'm not watching a Billy Gunn match. Especially one where Jay White jobs to him. That goddamn thing got a commercial break even.

Willow is OVER there. She deserved that. Meanwhile, CEO (if she wants to be referred to as that you got it, it saves typing "Mercedes" or even "Sasha") comes out and says nothing. She probably should have just stayed in the back.

Hey I don't have to watch a Bucks match either. There's something to this work delay thing. The Trent turn is at least squeezing something out of a Friends loss, especially if it's after the freakin' Bucks just have to take their spot in the tournament. Nice regret and high-speed walk-off from Trent. 

"Now Mr. Shavonn, I'm so sorry you lost your dog, but, we get to watch Thunder Rosa!" Crazy Toni, full of snark and innuendo, is the best nutter gimmick since Chavo Jr. was shaving his own head. Definitely watch this with subs on so you don't miss anything. Match is stiff and Rosa throws an unprofessional looking released German that Mariah takes right on her shoulder. Toni knows just what to do by going catatonic over her loss.

Me seeing Abrahantes "Fuuuuck off, why didn't you get fired?" (I kid the Abrahantes. He just needs to be a heel manager sometime. Of course managing Penta, he is heel to me 24/7)

Joe with a Diddy reference. Punch to head no hurt Samoan. Chain no hurt Joe either, haha. Had to be hard blading while someone is hitting you. For a second there I thought the table was sitting on its side and Joe was gonna uranage him through it that way, which would be something quite new, and very very dangerous I bet. If you are gonna do a contract signing now you have to sign it in blood. How long has it been for pro wrestling to figure out to do this one? You'd think it'd be a natural idea for a serious feud, totally obvious, yet I can think of no other occurance. Someone will pipe up with a different time now, yes?  

Despite any skipping this was a pretty good Dynamite.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:04 AM, The Green Meanie said:

Also, Toni Storm AGAIN with the lines of the night:

"Mariah May reminds me of a younger Toni Storm. Thunder Rosa reminds me of an OLDER Thunder Rosa."
"I hope they don't activate the under desk camera"
"This chair is going to need to be reupholstered."

I just finished watching it and those killed me. I love that part of her character is being your unfiltered aunt saying the most inappropriate shockingly raunchy things out of the blue.

• Like 4

On 4/4/2024 at 2:36 PM, caley said:

I must be in the bizzarro=verse, I didn't mind the Copeland promo and thought the Danielson-Archer match was bad. 

Even though Punks interview wasn't really bad enough to merit a response, the actual promo was a good bit of rah=rah delivered by a guy who seems to believe it 

But Danielson-Archer was just Archer crushes BD, BD comes back by going after his legs, Archer cuts him off with a power spot, no-sells the leg damage, repeat this 3 or 4 times. I thought it was super disappointing given who was in there. 

I’m in the same bizarro-verse with you then. I’m not an Archer fan so I’m biased but that was a slog that IMO did nothing to help Bryan and felt like a callback to his WWE formula (beat down by plodding big guy who no-sells most of his shit until Bryan finally does the “yes” limit break in the corner).

Otherwise, I enjoyed the show even with some spoilers. Rosa’s best matches in AEW have been the street fights/cage matches and her matches with Toni Storm, so not surprising that going against Toni May brought out her best. Very stiff, pretty crisp, good pacing, good character work, good selling.

Bucks actually pulled out the super kicks, but still mostly wrestled within their new heel style. Very sad about Trent, even if it’s been teased for weeks now.

The contract signing was awesome, it’s going to be HUGE when Swerve gets that win. Maybe it’ll be a no-DQ and he chokes out Joe with the chain.

• Like 2

Also forgot to include how amazing Willow’s promo was. They totally dropped the ball back when she was feuding with Jade and actually got the fans to turn on Jade and root for Willow to win. If nothing else, Jade should have also had a farewell match where she put Willow over. She is just pure genuine babyface positivity and has an infectious energy.  It sure if they’re trying to book Mone as a narcissistic heel, but that’s how things are starting to go.

• Like 2

Anybody with any thoughts on Rampage? I'm curious how London Lightning came across on TV. The live crowd was certainly into him.

(Did the bit before the match with Roddy interviewing him even make the broadcast? I tend to be at least half asleep by the time Rampage came on and can't remember.)

• Like 1

With this Trent thing, unsure if they should go the regretful route. He was pretty good as the slightly unhinged, screw-loose member of the group that worked real heavy on people what seems like a long time ago. Maybe that would be best.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Anybody with any thoughts on Rampage? I'm curious how London Lightning came across on TV. The live crowd was certainly into him.

(Did the bit before the match with Roddy interviewing him even make the broadcast? I tend to be at least half asleep by the time Rampage came on and can't remember.)

I just finished watching that whole segment and match and yes, they included the pre-match interview, and he came across like a fired-up young guy looking to make the most of his shot. For a hot minute I thought we were going to get a London Lightning Kid moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Sue vs. Nick Wayne’s Mom

Trent vs Nick Wayne would actually probably be really good if Wayne was a Babyface. Trent could just be an absolute dick to him and Wayne could bump his ass off. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm not watching a Billy Gunn match. Especially one where Jay White jobs to him. That goddamn thing got a commercial break even.

Despite any skipping this was a pretty good Dynamite.

Welcome to tape delay, it's glorious. Yeah, you never have to watch Billy Gunn matches! Or Acclaimed promos. That said, I couldn't help but skim the Jay v Billy shitfest. I'm still holding out hope that cameras were rolling throughout the day and a complete documentary of Gunn v White is produced. From conception to finish. 

21 hours ago, tbarrie said:

It was great! Fun, fun, fun Rampage that too few will see. Roddy Strong v London Lightning was particularly fun. Lightning has strong fundamentals and worked extremely well with Hot Rod. Kudos to the person that brought the 'Matt Taven is Human Nyquil' sign. Lightning seems likely to get more TV or Honorclub time after this match. I even enjoyed Wardy's interference here. This whole show was good, but the 4 way *ELIMINATION RULES!!!* match was the highlight. These rules are soooo much more satisfying than lucky first pin. Garcia v Andretti v Komander v Bryan Keith were all fantastic. This was full of action while building a nice story. Was there a title shot on the line? Malakai Black v Daniels was a terrific opener. Easily the best Chris Daniels match I've seen in ages. Malakai's the real deal. Here's hoping he's able to wrestle more singles. Serena Deeb v Trish Adora continued the flow of excellence. Trish Adora continues to improve weekly, and has become cosistently strong. That bouncing submission is gonna get over. Deeb wrestled a helluva bout here too. Saraya/Harley Cameron/Zak Knight promo was fun. Harley Cameron needs more to do. She's outrageously funny. Let's get to the Knight-Cool Hand match already. Julia Hart/Leyla promos were also very good. Julia is the best promo amongst the Goth kids. This was a total darkhorse awesome Rampage that I hope more ppl around here see.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2