DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/13 - 3/19/2024 - Takin' Care of Business

Rampage was probably tiny because this one was enormous. 

Spoiler

- Danielson vs. Shibata was a hall of mirrors. As in, they just mirrored everything each other did all match long, save a couple key moves like the Yes Lock, the STO, the corner dropkick, the Busaiku Knee. It was like playing Sub-Zero vs. Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat. Bryan came out with his shoulder looking like chum, and I'm sure neither guy felt very good, but there were thankfully no headbutts and no brain injuries. I think they could have came up with a better match but it was definitely unique. (Side note: They really needed a third man here to reign in/balance out the heel talk from Nigel.)

- Julia Hart being only 22 is yet another reminder that I am now very very old. Trish Adora is talented. Her bodyslam into snapping the back of Julia's neck over her knee was cruel. I really didn't think Julia was gonna nail the moonsault but there she went, dead center. It certainly looked off from the positioning, but then that's the camera POV. 

- Whoa! I really liked Danny/Lee, probably more than the opener actually. They let it all hang out here at a zillion miles an hour. Danny was especially at a froth tonight, broke down Johnson in a hurry, snapped into that heel hook like he wanted to take the foot home with him. Daddy Magic got a nice pop to boot. 

- The Bastard beat somebody up and Trainspotted his way through a request for fresh meat. Deonna and Rosa come off so bitchy and entitled that they absolutely have to be/are heels now. They are not getting cheered in that match. Claudio vs. Archer was a Clash of the Titans that wasn't... very... stimulating... Chris Barnes and the Fat Man run in and now I guess they're gonna feud with BCC? Yuck. Looks like Moxley is out injured but they're not telling us. 

- Keith and KOR did a fairly good job, keeping things varied; Kyle sure does like his faux-MMA stuff don't he. The knee to a falling Keith was fuckin' gross. 

- Didn't pay much attention to the main. Chicken running in means they're gonna interfere in his match and cost him his shot at the belts, which means Okada is gonna win them instead, isn't he. God Damn you Tony, DON'T DO IT. (Meanwhile, good on the Infantry, I have no clue who you are, in fact I know Trish Adora more than I know you, so kudos on getting something there.)

- Man around the time Archer was halfway through no-selling a bunch of stuff that show started to feel like a slog, and there were still two matches with two commercial breaks, AND Edge came out to announce The Curse of the Spike Nail Bat (With Nails Made of Rubber So It Can Fit In The Box?) to a booing Ottawa and "Jay". There was good stuff almost all the way through, and it was a large, large dose of concentrated wrestling, but almost needed a little bit of ga-ga to offset it.

• Like 3

Didn't The Infantry confront FTR last week? I figured they'd be wrestling them instead of HOB. People mentioned wanting to see a surprise in the tag tournament so I guess this is it. Good on The Infantry as they've been putting in the work on the undercard from the get-go though I'm bummed about less HOB in the tournament.

Really good match between Danielson and Shibata without any cringe moments.

Is Julia Hart the biggest AEW original success so far?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Didn't The Infantry confront FTR last week? I figured they'd be wrestling them instead of HOB. People mentioned wanting to see a surprise in the tag tournament so I guess this is it. Good on The Infantry as they've been putting in the work on the undercard from the get-go though I'm bummed about less HOB in the tournament.

Really good match between Danielson and Shibata without any cringe moments.

Is Julia Hart the biggest AEW original success so far?

I'm very bummed about HOB being knocked off so quickly. I can't wait to see what the HOB has in store for Mark Briscoe. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

For probably the first time, Nigel made me laugh. When Dragon say down for the slap battle he just says "Sitting down on the job." The tone was perfectly absurd and I loved it. 

I hope Bryan vs. Nigel is a possiblity for Wembley. 

• Like 3

Nigel got me twice tonight, which is nice for a change; once when he pronounced a Kimura as "kay-mow-ra" and the second time when Tony said something and he gave an exagerrated, mortified "HOW DAAAAAHHHHHRE YOU!" Also liked Edge pointing out what an ass-kisser he is to "Chris-tee-ann". 

KOR brought back the Rebound Lariat which made me have to look up who used to do it, matter of fact. Must've seen the erstwhile Dean Ambrose do that thing 1000 times but it's been so long... and yet, totally unmissed. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nigel got me twice tonight, which is nice for a change; once when he pronounced a Kimura as "kay-mow-ra" and the second time when Tony said something and he gave an exagerrated, mortified "HOW DAAAAAHHHHHRE YOU!" Also liked Edge pointing out what an ass-kisser he is to "Chris-tee-ann". 

KOR brought back the Rebound Lariat which made me have to look up who used to do it, matter of fact. Must've seen the erstwhile Dean Ambrose do that thing 1000 times but it's been so long... and yet, totally unmissed. 

Nigel McGuinness used to along with Dean Ambrose.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nigel also used to use the rebound lariat. 

Just now, The Natural said:

Nigel McGuinness used to along with Dean Ambrose.

Check that timing out, mate.

• Like 2

When I saw that The Infantry broke up two pins and Murphy pulled up Dean's head on the third attempt, I was instantly like "Infantry is winning this." Then out came Briscoe, and I was like YUP. Also, I'm not familiar with the team that well, I've always loved The Captain but haven't seen them since they've been shipped off to ROH. The name is a bit of a misnomer, as the Navy doesn't have an infantry.

Why does everyone in "House Rules" matches pick the STUPIDEST stipulations? None of them so far have made any sense.

Man, that tag team tournament bracket is pretty depressing. You're saying they couldn't come up with at least 12 or 16 teams?

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Nice Guy Eddie: Is your PM full? Tried sending you a message to see how you were doing.

I didn't think it was, but I'll delete some now. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 1:45 PM, tbarrie said:

Is Dropkick Murphy an indie wrestler? Because "Dropkick Murphy" would be a great name for an indie wrestler.

He's was a wrestler in the 50's who popularized his namesake maneuver 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 9:01 PM, MKERyan said:

Man that tag tournament bracket is SUPER underwhelming 

I was hoping for at least a 16 team bracket

On 3/15/2024 at 9:33 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I don't get how the Wild Cards work in this and it screwed everything up to me. Lets hope they aren't just jobber teams because it looks like there are already a few obvious ones on there.

could ahve put the workhorsemen or the outrunners in their somewhere

Workhorseman were going to be in it, but Anthony Henry suffered a broken jaw last weekend. 

The Rebound Lariat was called the Les Kellett Lariat by Nigel, because Les Kellett is who he copied the rebound part from. Although it's a move that works better within the context of someone who does that Terry Funk punchdrunk floppy fish selling. If you have someone reeling around the ring all wobbly when they get hit, falling through the ropes a couple of times, and then they pull the rebound out of nowhere, it's a big surprise pop.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I thought because it was STING'S RETIREMENT that triggered the belts being vacated that they'd really want to go out of their way to have a big, special, memorable tournament.  That and they never vacate belts.

I would have liked 16 or 32 teams and you can play up the March Madness aspect.  Feels like such a no-brainer and TNT/TBS carries the actual NCAAs.  On the other hand I get maybe not wanting to devote so much TV time to tag team matches when they're debuting all this new talent and already struggle to get everybody on tv.  The first rd. would be full of teams that are never on TV.  You could split the difference, put some first rd. matches on Youtube to drive some traffic there.  Do it Crockett Cup style, give a few teams byes, make it a bigger deal.  Just feels like a missed opportunity to do something special.

AEW really hasn't had the best track record when it comes to traditional tournaments

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 3

The lack of Mox/Claudio in the tourney is bizarre considering they just went over FTR clean on the PPV and the commentators were talking them up as a new force in the tag division.

hopefully there’s a curveball and we get something like the Best Friends winning it

Edited by Steventon
  • Like 2