DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

MLW is bringing Barbaro Cavernario to Chicago in May. So perhaps that'll pave the way for him to head to AEW soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Until I started watching this documentary on Australian wrestling, I'd never heard Jim Barnett actually speak. I've heard the impressions everyone has and they sort of nail it but he also has a little of Mr. Rogers in his voice. 

19 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Wrestling is far different from acting, of course, because of kayfabe.  Carrol O’Connor didn’t stay in character in real life, going around trying to convince the marks that Archie Bunker was a real person.  I don’t think any wrestler should get the protection of “I was  just playing a character” when called out for on-screen racism when they went out of their way to convince everyone that they weren’t playing a character in every other aspect.  You couldn’t just selectively kayfabe.

When we see “our guest tonight is Joe Anoai, who plays Roman Reigns on TV,” then we can talk about wrestlers distancing themselves from their characters.

So should there only be good guys?  Are we upset at the Young Bucks for mistreating their elder before his retirement match or does this only apply to certain social issues. 

Where do you draw the line?

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Pineapple on pizza. That's my line.

What argument are we having, again?

Who is your favorite Whose Line Is It Anyway? comedian?

• Like 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Colin is the glue guy keeping everything together.

Ryan and Colin are such a great team. Although I understand why, it was always uncomfortable when Ryan was visibly irritated to do the Ho Downs.

• Like 1

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that “behind the music,” but didn’t Queen catch some flack for performing at Sun City?

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Greg Proops. Man, his whimsical satire...

Love Proops. We went to see him in DC years ago and made his day by giving him an old set of Negro League postcards I had. 

but my personal number one is Tony Slattery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that “behind the music,” but didn’t Queen catch some flack for performing at Sun City?

Yep, that's probably the most famous example of that happening.

It's funny we went from that to popular artists flying overseas to perform at birthdays for the kids of Saudi royalty and not a hint of controversy. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yep, that's probably the most famous example of that happening.

It's funny we went from that to popular artists flying overseas to perform at birthdays for the kids of Saudi royalty and not a hint of controversy. 

The shift in public perception of celebs doing commercials is like this, too.  Back in the day, celebs would sneak off to Japan to make that sweet, secret advertising money.  Today we have Oscar winners shilling everything in broad daylight.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Uncle Coaster said:

So should there only be good guys?  Are we upset at the Young Bucks for mistreating their elder before his retirement match or does this only apply to certain social issues. 

Where do you draw the line?

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Pineapple on pizza. That's my line.

What argument are we having, again?

Both of these replies are great examples of how people should handle things. 

54 minutes ago, DJ Hero Morganti said:

Man now I want some pineapple on my pizza 

The real key is to lightly saute your pineapple and some jalapenos together before you put them on the pizza. Then go with ham and a honey drizzle and a hot sauce base. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

The real key is to lightly saute your pineapple and some jalapenos together before you put them on the pizza. Then go with ham and a honey drizzle and a hot sauce base. 

My favorite pizza for years now has been pineapple, mushroom, and jalapeno, but I never thought of sauteeing the pineapple and jalapenos together. That sounds really good.

• Like 3

If Earnest Miller came along 15 years later. He'd be one of the top guys around right now. He got over as the WCW commissioner and apparently he was over enough in that little bit of time in WWE with Vince where he'd improvise alot of his verbiage. Wrestling is way more accepting and I think he got that being a karate guy with no wrestling background even though he was a legit bad ass. I mean Broadus Clay was a straight ripoff of his short WWE run all the way to the "Somebody Call my Mama" phrase 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Note to self: at the DVDVR pizza party, don't offer to share pizza.

Pineapple on pizza is awesome, especially with pickled jalapeños.

I draw my line at corn. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

It’s been mentioned in other places but

Yeah, I want a guy with “comedy” in his handle doing a presumed-serious crime podcast. 😀

46 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

If Earnest Miller came along 15 years later. He'd be one of the top guys around right now.

what if Ernest Miller was around in the early 1980s and he could bounce from territory to territory and he didn't necessarily have to do much in the ring (at least on TV)

• Like 1