DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEBRUARY 2024

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Since it came up in the TV thread: what do y'all think Darby's dumbest bump is?

I vote for when he let Ethan Page throw him down a flight of concrete steps and ended up being out for a couple of months.

That would have been my choice too. Also: unless I got newzed at the time, I thought he was hurt already and *that* was his idea to write himself off (which makes it even more fucking insane). I know Samoa Joe jacked up his back on some concrete stairs during a TNA title match with Sting way back when, and it bothered him for like a literal decade after, I can't imagine the stones it takes to go for something like that when you're already hurt.

Another nasty one coming to mind: I forget what match it was but Lance Archer planted him on the ring steps, with the steps on their side so they were tall as opposed to long, and it was pretttay, pretttay gross.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Doing a Coffin Drop onto a casket more than once has to be TERRIBLE for the body. Christian Cage body slamming him off the apron onto the ring steps is up there, too.

Anything like that with something solid, is one that he makes look like death (and probably doesn't feel excellent to take) - I was thinking of those casket bumps too, especially whichever one had the tacks or spikes on the lid. (Edit : Swerve??) Even back on the first show, he had that ridiculous bump with THE Cracker Barrel

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That would have been my choice too. Also: unless I got newzed at the time, I thought he was hurt already and *that* was his idea to write himself off (which makes it even more fucking insane). I know Samoa Joe jacked up his back on some concrete stairs during a TNA title match with Sting way back when, and it bothered him for like a literal decade after, I can't imagine the stones it takes to go for something like that when you're already hurt.

Another nasty one coming to mind: I forget what match it was but Lance Archer planted him on the ring steps, with the steps on their side so they were tall as opposed to long, and it was pretttay, pretttay gross.

Oh god, I remember that.  There was also one where (I think) Brody slammed him on some steps on their side and he bounced like a goddamned looney tune and splatted on the ground.

I don't remember the match but there was one time he smoked himself doing a tope and I was pretty sure he died.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

don't remember the match but there was one time he smoked himself doing a tope and I was pretty sure he died.

On that note: I'm calling it now that their match with the Bucks will have a spot where Darby is slammed hard into that new barricade and the screen turns off or sparks on em a bit to put it over the top

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I vote for when he let Ethan Page throw him down a flight of concrete steps and ended up being out for a couple of months.

I vote for the any bump he did where his opponent herked him through the air while in a body bag.  I mean unless the bag was somehow gimmicked, not knowing when you’re landing, and thus unable to brace for it, sounds really dangerous.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

Yeah, I've gone from hoping he survives climbing Mount Everest because it's dangerous to climb Mount Everest, to hoping he survives whatever things he might be planning to do there. Absolute loon, and also one of the best wrestlers in the world who looks totally credible against basically anyone, even when they're twice his size.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Yeah, I've gone from hoping he survives climbing Mount Everest because it's dangerous to climb Mount Everest, to hoping he survives whatever things he might be planning to do there. Absolute loon, and also one of the best wrestlers in the world who looks totally credible against basically anyone, even when they're twice his size.

Watch it turn out that the whole time the guides were supposed to be training him to climb, he spent training them to wrestle instead, and they do a quick 7 min summit street fight. I certainly wouldn't put it past him.

Re: your second point, I agree - it's that Rey Mysterio Jr. underdog intangible. It goes beyond just being just a cruiser or below 6'0 otherwise every undersized guy ever would be that level of star. In AEW, I think Danielson, Fenix, PAC, and OC are all guys with similar qualities. 

I know a lot of folks are probably gonna disagree on this, but the Bucks flirt with having that quality much of the time too - they just undermine it (for lack of a better term) with something way too outside the box (e.g. Matt suplexing two much bigger dudes at once).

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The throw by Konosuke Takeshita/Powerhouse Hobbs across the ring with Darby Allin's neck hitting the ring ropes gets my vote. So dangerous.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The throw by Konosuke Takeshita/Powerhouse Hobbs across the ring with Darby Allin's neck hitting the ring ropes gets my vote. So dangerous.

Oh shit yeah that was pretty recent, I forgot about that. I thought of Perro Aguayo right away, that one freaked me out

• Like 2

Bryan Danielson matches I'd like to see as he said he's coming to an end:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega II.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr III.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness. This has an asterix attached as I'm apprehensive about one/both something stupid.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Tetsuya Naito.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Shingo Takagi.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Katsuyori Shibata. This has an asterix attached as I'm apprehensive about one/both doing something stupid.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Darby Allin.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Jay White.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Mark Briscoe.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Dax Harwood.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Cash Wheeler.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega II and Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr III are the priorities for me.

• Like 3

The first one that came to my mind was Joe throwing him into the buckles then he does a complete 360 ragdoll to the floor landing on his shoulder.

The Christian stairs bump took forever to set up, but it was gross.

The barrel roll on the Hobbs/Takeshita toss was the best combo of ridiculously hilarious, then cringe-inducing when his head caught the rope.

His recent black hole slam with Bill was beautiful with the dip on the catch and spin into the extra elevation like some olympic level figure skating, except it ended with a suitable splat. I could watch a .gif of that for 5 minutes straight.

I'm sure his most damaging are the simple missed coffin drops on the apron/steps/etc, though.

• Like 3

You need to see Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr from NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka 2024 ASAP. It's my Match of the Year. *****. I will say I preferred the AEW WrestleDream 2023 match. I gave that ***** and it was my MOTY.

Spoiler Warning:

Spoiler

Zack Sabre Jr pinned Bryan Danielson in a match that went over 30 minutes and flew by. Body parts worked over, counters to pitfalls and submissions. Fighting spirit. There were "This is awesome" and "Fight forever" chants in English which I've never heard in Japan. I see the rubber match ending in a submission.

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr III.

That already happened. The one they had this morning (our time) was their 4th singles match. 

1. Coventry 2008
  2. WXW 2009
  3. Wrestledream 2023
  4. Osaka 2024

In the backstage post-match promos, both Bryan and Zach talked about the Coventry match, so it's not like anyone is erasing it from history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E44-yf3JKLw

• Like 1

Sean Ross Sapp reporting Kazuchika Okada is going to AEW.

Dave Meltzer:

Sean Ross Sapp reported Okada is going to AEW. Everything we've been led to believe for weeks is that it would be Okada's decision. We haven't gotten that confirmed past as of Wednesday they were talking like he was coming but the belief was that he had not signed yet but was going to do so. One person with knowledge of the situation said that he hadn't heard an official signing just yet, but that they had heard it was a done deal.

---

Kazuchika Okada matches I want to see:

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Bryan Danielson.
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Samoa Joe.
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Swerve Strickland.
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Eddie Kingston.
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Christian Cage.
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Claudio Castagnoli.
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. MJF.

AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2024 will make for a surreal sight with Kazuchika Okada representing AEW.

• Like 2

I am about as far from being a mountaineering expert as you can get, living in the flatlands of England, so I don't know if this is against the laws of physics. But I had this idea that a dastardly heel should hire a helicopter, land at Everest's peak wearing an oxygen mask and then hit Darby with a steel chair he brought with him. I shouldn't be hired by anyone.

• Haha 6

So I don't know what I don't know since I don't follow current CMLL too closely but...

• A lot of the CMLL roster is in Japan for Fantasticamania
  • That means certain people like Lady Frost will be back in Mexico to help with the rosters for a bit.
  • There is no Collision on Saturday due to the NBA All Star Weekend
  • Seems like a good Friday for the BCC to invade?
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

I am about as far from being a mountaineering expert as you can get, living in the flatlands of England, so I don't know if this is against the laws of physics. But I had this idea that a dastardly heel should hire a helicopter, land at Everest's peak wearing an oxygen mask and then hit Darby with a steel chair he brought with him. I shouldn't be hired by anyone.

Your avatar combined with your post made me chuckle, fellow Englishman.

• Like 1

If we're really going to have Okada, Ospreay, and Mercedes as basically weekly characters in a month's time, that will change the feel of the shows. That's basically three new segments each week (and three segments that other people aren't getting). It'll probably shake out more like 4-5 segments every two weeks but still. They almost have to make Rampage more important to compensate, even if that just means giving it to guys like Page, Darby, Cassidy, etc. 

• Like 6