DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/4/2024 - Ice Ice Bayley

1 hour ago, Log said:

It was him/Prazak and Eddie Kingston on commentary for Joe/Necro 1.  They didn’t talk shit about Naylor. They were dying at how much he had to be loving the match. I don’t remember a lot of in-jokes. I just remember them losing their shit over the violence of the match. 

I haven't watched it in a looooong time. Should again, because it's great, and because now I, y'know, know who Eddie Kingston is.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Kabuki Warriors reminded me that I recently read that Kaientai's initial name in WWE was... Team Kamikazi. In retrospect I think I actually remember that happening! We are all old. But especially me.

EDIT II: Of course that made me go watch "I choppy-choppy your... pee pee!" (there is a pause, actually). Entirely forgot that Dick Togo always wore a Maiden shirt, which is probably why I liked them so much.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Kinda disappointed that Wade is no longer on commentary. I thought him and Cole had good chemistry. DIY/Judgment Day was good. I wish Kofi/Gunther was during the first hour instead of getting two commercials.

I am a big fan of Punk. Or I was. I'm cooling on him. That promo just didn't do it for me until Drew came out. 

Curious about what they will do with Bron on Smackdown.

ETA: The commentary on Joe/Necro is great. All 3 are losing their minds over the violence. Punk is pulling for Joe but starts to admit that Butcher is insane and maybe unstoppable. Kingston sounds so happy to be witnessing this violent spectacle. One of my favorite matches ever. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87
  • Like 1

Good recap video and in all of the nonsense over the weekend I forgot to mention that I like how much shine they gave Jordynne Grace and TNA. Maybe they're ECW-ing them and keeping them viable right now, it would explain why they have money to try for some big hires

I thought Punk's promo was by far his best in this run of WWE and maybe the first time he was back to just his voice, facing the local hockey team and all. Drew is a terrific heel right now

Tag title match came together well, better than I thought tbh. DIY hasn't always connected with crowds but they managed pull them in when it counted. Can't help but think this is where Priest belongs on the card unless they do something to build him up

All of the promos were done really well on this episode (outside of the Judgement Day's weekly Scenes from a Closet). Seth was great, he almost got some folks to believe that his title was on the level of Roman's. DIY, Kofi, and Gunther cut some hype straight to camera promos. Jackie even ended locker room interviews with a "Back to you, Cole" instead of just staring off into nothing until they cut away. They are getting rid of the Dunn-isms

Holy shit, Gunther almost has abs. Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't do it too. I was worried he would look like an East German basketball star if he lost his mass but it works. Match really got going as it went along, I don't think anyone realistically thought Kofi would win but they got some good hope spots in before the inevitable

Kabuki Warriors/Nattie Nox was the better of two tags, feels like there's a lot of women treading water in the tag division but I have no idea what else you do with them. Hmm, oh book them better, that sounds familiar. Otherwise we just get these cold matches that don't do the wrestlers or the division much good and then you get dipshits like Brian Last blaming women for not being interesting to fans

I liked DmgCtrl melting away in the corner and leaving Bayley to face Nia alone. I can get into Bayley once they pick a direction for her

Main event was solid TV wrestling, well worked but nothing fancy. My boy Zayn is back down the card this year, oh well. This match had a rare repeat spot from earlier in the card as Ciampa hit a top rope Air Raid Crash in the first match and McIntyre hit it here too. Drew is rad as the athlete who has all the skills and still cheats within the rules, that resonates in modern sports

Edited by Godfrey

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

I don't quite understand how you tear your triceps from a DDT. Then again I am not that knowledgeable about anatomy I suppose, despite all of the goregrind I listen to. 

I'd need to watch it again but the double underhook could jerk the arms backwards on impact

The Zubaz/pink sneakers combination is *chef's kiss* 

We got a bag of those Mars minis with Snickers, Three Musketeers, Milky Way, and Twix on discount after Halloween and somehow that fucker lasted all the way to Xmas.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't quite understand how you tear your triceps from a DDT. Then again I am not that knowledgeable about anatomy I suppose, despite all of the goregrind I listen to. 

I could see someone hitting a DDT and somehow banging their elbow/funny bone on the mat if they're really sloppy at how they do moves.

I guess there's a way to do a "DDT countered into a Keylock" sequence if anybody out there is looking for spots for a match.

Trick/Melo vs. LWO was damn good as expected.

Roxanne/Tatum was nice though it was annoying for half the match to be picture in picture. Doesn't feel like a Lyra heel turn is set, but I do like how Lyra defended Tatum post match.

Lola/Elektra was solid while it lasted, probably the best Lopez have looked in singles. Despite the build they gave the match it felt like something they wanted to get out of way and move on from with Lopez moving up to Smackdown already. Vice isn't great or anything, but I do like how her MMA background blends into her wrestling. Will be interesting to see what she does with bigger, longer matches.

Ridge/Lexis was solid though the crowd was pretty apathetic as King is a heel, and they haven't done well in building Holland as sympathetic figure in NXT. They really did fuck up with the Ilja injury stuff. The man would have gotten over more just being badass.

The Chase U memorial segment and subsequent save by Jacy was all good, dumb fun. I dug the later backstage segment being used to set up Riley vs. Lexis. 

The Dijak/Gacy brawl throughout the show was fine. The final bit with them setting up the no DQ match was nice. I particularly dug Dijak's face as he realized Gacy was somehow not dead and wanted more after the big toss off the media truck.

Fallon/Arianna was fun for Grace's regular reactions and cheap trick attempts. Was happy to see Grace pick up the win. With Lash and Jakara's interference if feels like they may be trying to build up teams for a women's Dusty Cup.

Dar/Wagner had some decent moments but felt weird with them setting Wagner up as not really being up to snuff on the rules. Wagner not getting even one pin was a strange choice. Wagner is one of those guys I regularly wonder why he is in NXT/WWE. He is a solid wrestler, but it feels like they don't have real idea/place for him.

Corbin and Bron continuing to bond was fun to see.

The final segment between Ilja and Trick was decent. They are definitely pushing the idea that Trick's focus may be too split even if neither Melo or Ilja are trying to screw him over.

Nothing bad match wise, but the only strong match here was the Dusty Cup semi-final which was so damn good. This has honestly been one of the better Dusty Classics. Weakest match was probably Bron/Corbin vs. Gallus, and even that was solid. The segments were generally decent, and there was a lot forward movement for Vengeance Day and future shows. Decent show, but there has definitely been better match wise. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Rewatching that promo, I did enjoy Punk shouting out Chad from New Found Glory. I wasn't aware of his health issues. 

Yeah, man.  I saw somebody mention it was Great Value Hard Times and for all the deserved shit Punk gets I just can't in good conscience agree with that.  He can be a good guy and I was especially loving when he said "Best in the world are those who are fighting cancer".  Whether it's Punk or somebody else I can get behind that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Fallon/Arianna was fun for Grace's regular reactions and cheap trick attempts. Was happy to see Grace pick up the win. With Lash and Jakara's interference if feels like they may be trying to build up teams for a women's Dusty Cup.

Cody said during his GM-for-a-day night that they were doing the Women's Breakout, Men's Breakout, and both Dusty Cups back to back so it follows that we will see that start next week and run thru the March special (whatever they call shows like Halloween Havoc that are regular Tuesday shows but have a name and a band and matches set up in advance and pushed like PLEs). Henley/Sinclair, Hail/Jayne, James/Izzi and Jackson/Legend seem like locks. Probably at least one main roster team and 3 more TBD. 

I know it's my fault for trying to keep up with WWE, AEW and NJPW all at once, but I'd be pretty happy not to see tournaments for a little while, especially on NXT where it feels like we've had one going at all times since the Heritage Classic. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right place. Obviously, Brock never needs to be in our lives ever again. But Dom was going to eliminate him at The Rumble and I am trying to even envision how incredible that would have been.

• Like 2

I think the thing that's becoming clearer is the Judgment Day is ending sooner rather than later.  I'd guess that Awesome Truth will probably take the tag belts in Australia, which probably leads to a Finn-Priest match in Philly. (Hopefully for the briefcase.) Rhea seems very close to that borderline between turning face through sheer willpower and if she takes on Nia at Mania, it's all but assured.  JD and his gigantic head can go be a lackey for Finn or go someplace else. 

But Dom...  there's the interesting one.  He needs to NOT be a face, like, for years at least.  He is *hyper over* as a heel and is ready for a main roster singles title run of his own, and the Fed knows it.  But with Rhea sort of straddling that fence, they probably need to break them up soon-ish... Maybe at Mania if she loses her belt and he somehow is the one to take the IC belt off Gunther.  (Think "ugh, I don't need this loser anymore" delusional heel mindset.)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Not sure if this is the right place. Obviously, Brock never needs to be in our lives ever again. But Dom was going to eliminate him at The Rumble and I am trying to even envision how incredible that would have been.

If this is true, it's some Maven eliminates The Undertaker type shit.

• Like 2