DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/10 - 1/16/2024 - I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings

Figured it would be Darby vs. Sting for the last match but.... there's still plenty of time to establish a decent build for why the Bucks want this match but with so much time out wondering if this is a smoke screen for something else.

Hanger, Swerve, and Wardlow is a nice run of challengers for Joe after he gets past Hook. I'm pretty excited for that match next week too. Shout out to Hook's Bat Signal too, I hope that's a regular thing.

"That sounds Italian," Toni Storm forever, my dudes.

I get they wanted  to do something for Brodie but uhhh... Preston and Anna both turned their backs on Dark Order. Why not just go with Silver and Reynolds? I felt weird seeing Julia in that kind of big match too. House of Black feels like the kind of stable that shouldn't be teaming with anyone outside of it (I'll give a pass to Julia and Skye since there's at least a story there).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

anybody know if Cheatum would be available to make a film for Sting's final match?

We've still got Col. Parker and Sid. Davey Boy Smith, Jr. can fill in for his father. Who fills in for Vader and Harley Race?

Just now, Nineteen said:

"That sounds Italian," Toni Storm forever, my dudes.

I forgot all about that segment! It was the best thing on the show. The crowd was laughing along the whole time, you could actually hear them.

• Like 3

Fun show. It had all of the stuff I want from an episode of AEW.

OC/Dustin/Preston Vance/Edge might be the leader in all-time great goofy "WTF" pairings.

The women's match didn't have the random weirdness of the men's match but I really liked it? It definitely reminded me that Ruby Soho is just an absolute world class wrestler. She completely held that match together. She's always in the right place at the right time, knows how to sell, knows how to taunt and knows how to express herself via body language and facial expressions. 

Samoa Joe is THE perfect champion. The only thing I keep thinking whenever I see him with a World Title is why hasn't he ALWAYS been the world champion? The guy has an aura and presence like only a few others have. He's awesome in the ring. He's also the only person who can be a monster bully and suit-wearing, scheming puppet master at once. We're all guilty of overthinking wrestling (duh) when "just give Joe the belt, let him be a dickhead heel, build up a face over the course of a year to beat him" is all you really need to anchor any promotion. 

I'm not feeling Hook and never have. I don't get the character. That said, he's a perfectly fine choice to be the first guy to put Joe on the ropes for a little bit before getting his shit wrecked. 

Sammy/Ricky was such a weird match. I don't know if I liked it or not, but it was very interesting. Ricky did that insane rochembeaux on the ring apron. It looked like DEATH and probably could have been used to set up an injury angle. Instead, it was the spot to a commercial break for a match that ended via a random superkick. WTF? I loved Ricky's "man, come on" when Jericho's music started. He spoke for us all. 

Jericho having his song playing ala New Jack was a nice touch and then it hit me as to the possible reason for it. I'm only half-joking. The ring entrance is short at Dailey's, so he can't do the extended entrance. But there has to be a stipulation in Jericho's contract where they have to make it through the chorus of his song so he gets some kind of royalty fee, right? That has to be it. 

The main event was really fun. I thought we finally saw the anticipated on-screen paralysis of Darby Allin when he got overtossed in that playground bully spin thing he did where he neck cracked off the rope. Bryce FLEW over to him to see if he was okay. What an insane person. I don't care about the Young Bucks but man that was a fashion CHOICE. Between them and Hangman the mustache game tonight is off.

My one big criticism for the night -- someone should have thrown a shoe at Renee in the Toni Storm segment. 

• Like 5

Isn't Vance still a heel and a member of LFI? Then again the heel/face and feud status didn't really matter in any of the 8 person matches.

I get Sting might not be able to work a singles match but The Bucks are going to get shit on and not in a good heel way. Then again most people are going to watch for Flair to inevitably punch Sting in the balls anyways.

Claudio/Page was great and an ideal way to kick off a show.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Imagine thinking the overrun might be a big debut like Mercedes and then it ends up being the Bucks to screw up Sting’s retirement tour. Amazing.

I kept thinking Britt Baker was going to make an appearance at some point.

Really hoping the Bucks thing is a misdirection. That's a fine Dynamite tag in a few weeks, but Darby being the only guy to pin Sting in AEW is the only way to go here. Sting never actually gave an answer, so I'm hopeful.

Darby's new bump in the main was an all-timer. Need a .gif of that one.

• Like 1