DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Yes nothing screams "we need to flush out the BS" more than a guy who is now willing to call people pedophiles just out of spite.  And I am sure that today on the McAfee show he won't say anything with the intended purpose of making it all about himself. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I feel like Vrabel getting fired is less about his win/loss record and more about him apparently butting heads with/wanting changes within the upper management structure.

Vrabel seems like a guy that the players respect but he also strikes me as the current version of Jeff Fisher. He will get another shot but will be in another no win situation like Carolina 

36 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Vrabel seems like a guy that the players respect but he also strikes me as the current version of Jeff Fisher. He will get another shot but will be in another no win situation like Carolina 

Or New England 

So Atlanta had three big problems this year: couldn't develop competent QB play, didn't use Bijan Robinson nearly enough, and didn't throw to Kyle Pitts nearly enough.

So, why, exactly, aren't they the team that should be going after the coach who did a great job developing QBs in his last NFL stop, and just won a national title by running his star backs over and over again and throwing to his tight ends about as often as his receivers?

• Like 2

The Wink Martindale/Brian Daboll divorce is very funny if you are not a Giants fan. (It is mildly amusing if you are).

Granted all of this comes from the standard NY rags (Daily News, Post) so take that for what it is worth

Angered that the team was firing two of his closest lieutenants, New York Giants defensive coordinator Wink Martindale cursed out head coach Brian Daboll during a meeting on Monday, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The New York Post reported that Martindale "said his piece, got up, slammed the door and walked out of the building" after the Giants fired outside linebackers coach Drew Wilkins and defensive assistant Kevin Wilkins. Both had come over with Martindale from Baltimore, and Drew Wilkins was considered Martindale's right-hand man.

The rocky relationship between Daboll and Martindale is at the center of an impending split. It was reported back in November that the two were in a "bad place."

A source said they expected Martindale to resign following Monday's incident. The Giants had still not heard from Martindale as of Tuesday evening. He returned to his home in Sarasota, Florida, on Tuesday afternoon.

Martindale still has one year left on his current contract. The Post reported he's owed $3 million.

-----------------------

The situation unfolded Monday, after Daboll and general manager Joe Schoen met the media for a joint season-ending news conference. It was there that they said their "expectation" was for Martindale and offensive coordinator Mike Kafka to return.

They had already fired special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey and offensive line coach Bobby Johnson, but not the Wilkins brothers. And that was before they had even met with Martindale and Kafka to see if they wanted to return.

There had been rumblings both coordinators were unhappy throughout the season -- Martindale because of his relationship with Daboll, and Kafka because of the way he was minimized when Daboll became more involved running the offense earlier in the season. Kafka, like Martindale, still has one year remaining on his contract.

The Post reported Daboll was adamant about getting rid of Drew Wilkins and, by association, Kevin Wilkins, because there "was a feeling in the building that Martindale and Drew Wilkins were creating their own fiefdom within the coaching staff, at times bypassing Daboll and believing they had to answer only to each other and, ultimately, ownership."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39276348/new-york-giants-wink-martindale-cursed-brian-daboll-firings

Bears have fired OC Luke Getsy and a bunch of other offensive staff

Signs are pointing to Matt Eberflus keeping his job

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bears have fired OC Luke Getsy and a bunch of other offensive staff

Signs are pointing to Matt Eberflus keeping his job

Kind of an odd move if they keep the pick and draft Williams. Conventional wisdom is just to start fresh, but I'm not sure there's too many exciting coaching names out there right now. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Wink Martindale/Brian Daboll divorce is very funny if you are not a Giants fan. (It is mildly amusing if you are).

Granted all of this comes from the standard NY rags (Daily News, Post) so take that for what it is worth

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39276348/new-york-giants-wink-martindale-cursed-brian-daboll-firings

You're right - this IS funny to this non-Giants fan. 

Giants and Martindale have officially parted ways

EDIT - basically Wink is free to go to another team with no restrictions and the Giants keep the $3 million they owed him

We'll know how "mutual' it really was if he is applying for head coaching jobs by 2025. 

Honestly it is probably the smart thing to do. I know he was still working hard and a great coach but father time is undefeated. Hopefully they give him a real advisor role and not just an "on paper" one as I am sure he still wants to stay active.

I'm guessing Pete already has someone (or a couple of people) in mind and this is a coronation in waiting.  

But yeah, it would make absolute sense for a man who's been doing this grind for nearly 50 years to want to enjoy some time off.  I'm sure the people who had to know this was coming, did.  

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Kind of an odd move if they keep the pick and draft Williams. Conventional wisdom is just to start fresh, but I'm not sure there's too many exciting coaching names out there right now. 

Whatever keeps the Bears from sniffing around Jim Harbaugh is fine with me, even keeping Eberflus.

It was time. Seattle has been a "good" team (finish above. 500 and make the playoffs) for a while but they haven't been a superbowl caliber team for at least 5 years.