DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I understand why Pickett would be mad but the reality is that you had a much better chance of Russell Wilson being complete shit then Jalen Hurts

So I guess the Steelers draft a QB.  Or are they still in the Justin Fields game?  

Edited by hammerva

37 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Kenny Pickett traded to the Eagles, didn't see that one coming. Apparently he asked to be moved after the Russell signing, per Adam Schefter.

Don't blame him, the Steelers mishandled him from the beginning.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Kenny Pickett traded to the Eagles, didn't see that one coming. Apparently he asked to be moved after the Russell signing, per Adam Schefter.

From what I’ve read on social media from Fox Sports reporters, local reporters, etc., Pickett felt the Steelers had promised him the starting job next year and reacted ‘badly’ to Wilson’s signing, leading to everybody deciding it was time to move on.  There’s also last year’s Steelers-Seattle game where Pickett was surprise deactivated about an hour before game time, allegedly because he refused to back up Mason Rudolph.  It seems likely his relationship with teammates and the front office was a bit strained, for one reason or another.  During Russ Wilson’s press conference today, he mentioned a lot of players contacted him to say how excited they were about him coming to Pittsburgh.

i think the ‘KP was mishandled’ argument has merit. A lot of the blame can be laid on former offensive coordinator Matt Canada and Pickett got hurt in his second start after Canada was fired midseason.  On the other hand, I don’t think Pickett was the guy and probably wasn’t going to improve enlough to be be the guy longterm.  It’s tough to admit your franchise whiffed on a first round pick.  Even tougher to admit you whiffed on a first-round qb.  But, better to admit your mistake now than drag it out.  GM Omar Khan didn’t draft Pickett and seems to be working to weed out the malcontents in the locker room.

i don’t think Russ Wilson is washed up.  Maybe he is, but I’m willing to see what he can still do.  Also hoping the Steelers can get Fields relatively cheaply too.  Market for him doesn’t seem to be what Bears hoped.

15 minutes ago, The Old-Fashioned Gamer said:

i don’t think Russ Wilson is washed up.  Maybe he is, but I’m willing to see what he can still do.  Also hoping the Steelers can get Fields relatively cheaply too.  Market for him doesn’t seem to be what Bears hoped.

He's not washed up, he's just not good. He's never been as good as the perception of him but he's declined a lot. He runs off it off gas mid-season and pads his numbers against bad teams while not doing much against his ones. He did manage a combined 5 TDs against KC & Buffalo last year in consecutive weeks - while averaging 153 yards and 24 points. He had 2 games all season where he threw for 200 yards and 2 TDs and threw under 200 yards 8 times. 

Scouts "miss" a lot but one thing they (and most of us) were right about: the 2022 QB Draft Class was really bad. Two years later and not a single starter from the bunch going into next season.

Except Brock Purdy, the last one picked. In 2022's defense, 2021 wasn't much better with only two current starters.

I am surprised he was worth so little in trade value, I didn't watch many Bears games the last couple years but I thought he had more potential than that. Also, the Steelers are really being 'extra' this offseason.

So before it is time to "Let's Ride", maybe we need to do see if it will pass state inspection first.   If not then let's try a different model

Regardless going from Kenny Pickett and Mason Rudolph to Russell Wilson and Justin Fields is in a win for me.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I am surprised he was worth so little in trade value, I didn't watch many Bears games the last couple years but I thought he had more potential than that. Also, the Steelers are really being 'extra' this offseason.

He's wildly inconsistent, but he has shown flashes of being dominant. It also didn't help that the Bears staff seemed bound and determined to ask him to do things he was known to be bad at, while limiting his opportunities to do the things he does well.

I thought they would get more for him than that until the free agency wheel spun so decisively. Washington is clearly drafting a QB, Atlanta hopped off with Cousins, New England and Minnesota both look fairly like to death a QB and they both signed a veteran bridge QB. Even Pittsburgh had already signed Wilson. It was hard to find a team that seemed to really need him (plus I can't imagine they would've wanted to trade him to Minnesota even if they were interested.)

I'm not sure the Steelers are the right team for it, but giving Fields a chance to sit and learn a system and try to rebuild his game a bit might but be a terrible Idea. Plus he's theoretically a high upside backup if Russ struggles or gets injured.

Plus they probably don't want to give Fields enough snaps to turn into a 4th unless they have to.

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not sure the Steelers are the right team for it, but giving Fields a chance to sit and learn a system and try to rebuild his game a bit might but be a terrible Idea. Plus he's theoretically a high upside backup if Russ struggles or gets injured.

Plus they probably don't want to give Fields enough snaps to turn into a 4th unless they have to.

That's kinda the silly thing and I assume why he went for just a 6th. Since there is no way his 5th year option will be picked up, he's going to be a FA next offseason anyway so even if he does learn the system, unless he learns it so well they decide to give him a contract he'll be off to a new team in 2025 and have to learn a new system again. But with the condition of the trade they won't play Fields unless Russell gets injured or they are 0-10 and are just curious what Fields can do.

Either way Steelers are going into next offseason with zero QBs under contract (unless they draft one) and they basically will start the whole process over.

13 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That's kinda the silly thing and I assume why he went for just a 6th. Since there is no way his 5th year option will be picked up, he's going to be a FA next offseason anyway so even if he does learn the system, unless he learns it so well they decide to give him a contract he'll be off to a new team in 2025 and have to learn a new system again. But with the condition of the trade they won't play Fields unless Russell gets injured or they are 0-10 and are just curious what Fields can do.

Either way Steelers are going into next offseason with zero QBs under contract (unless they draft one) and they basically will start the whole process over.

I expect the Steelers will either pick up the option or do a deal similar to the one Green Bay did with Jordan Love where they sign him to a new deal for this year and next that's for less than the option would pay him, but locks him into guaranteed cash. Wilson is only under contract for one year (and Wilson and Fields together are only making about $6 million this year, so Pittsburgh has a ton of room in a QB budget to sign Fields to a reasonable contract.)

I just can't see any reason they would make this deal at all unless they plan on him being around and hopefully the starter in 2025.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I just can't see any reason they would make this deal at all unless they plan on him being around and hopefully the starter in 2025.

It's the Steelers. There is no way they did these moves without having a plan for 2025 and moving forward. 

After having a full day to process it, my only real reaction is that whatever Ryan Poles sees in Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, or whomever he decides is the Bears QB of the future better live up to those expectations, and then some. Because this is the first big move that Poles has made that has really PO'd a large portion of the fanbase.

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

After having a full day to process it, my only real reaction is that whatever Ryan Poles sees in Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, or whomever he decides is the Bears QB of the future better live up to those expectations, and then some. Because this is the first big move that Poles has made that has really PO'd a large portion of the fanbase.

And its of course incredibly unfair as any anger/annoyance will transfer to a rookie QB who will be thrust into the starting job whether they are ready to start Day 1 or not.

Has there ever been a #1 overall QB that started right away AND was successful? I can't think of one off the top of my head. 

32 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Has there ever been a #1 overall QB that started right away AND was successful? I can't think of one off the top of my head. 

Successful immediately, or just had a successful career?