DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 12/18 - 12/24/2023 - The American Nightmare Before Christmas

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the thing about "Whoop That Trick" is that it also works if he turns heel and the fans need to chant it against him

(I don't watch NXT with any regularity so I don't know if they could make him work as a heel)

My favorite weekly occurrence in wrestling is Booker T singing along to Trick's theme..

"What..."

"Yeah..."

"Uh huh.."

"OH YEAH, MAN..."

"I like it.."

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the thing about "Whoop That Trick" is that it also works if he turns heel and the fans need to chant it against him

(I don't watch NXT with any regularity so I don't know if they could make him work as a heel)

Trick started out as a heel. The chants started then as well. They just got bigger when he turned face, especially after the music change with  Booker adding his personal touch there.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 6:16 PM, Peck said:

My favorite weekly occurrence in wrestling is Booker T singing along to Trick's theme..

"What..."

"Yeah..."

"Uh huh.."

"OH YEAH, MAN..."

"I like it.."

Booker is far from a good commentator. But I applaud his contributions to the overall vibe of Trick. It's all fucking awesome. 

But what is so not awesome is the end of the main which should run away with the "Most disgusting promotional tactic" award. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Good name for a cocky heel. “I’m the next evolution in sports entertainment.” 

And she gives out Darwin Awards to the stupidest babyface each week. I suppose she’d have to steal the Natural Selection finisher name from Charlotte.

The opening segment with Orton, AJ, & Knight to set up the triple threat for NYR was fine.

Holiday Havoc was good fun with some nice action, dumb moments, and decent story bits with Alba & Fyre getting involved. Was nice to see the latter two finally return. They had the occasional promo vid here and there, but haven't really done anything on Smackdown for months. Its a shame as they are possibly the best tag team in the women's division. Looking forward to the eventual Kabuki Warriors match. Have to say though I do hope the next time its suggested Kari does the trash lid spot with Shotzi someone says no. Kairi murders that poor woman every time even when it goes right. Was nice to see Yim get the victory. The coming title match with Io should be good. I'm glad Damage Ctrl's loss only came due to unexpected interference. 

Dragon/Butch was damn good as expected.

The Roman/Aldis backstage segment was good. I like how Aldis is presented as more of a challenge for Roman than Pearce.

Owens/Hayes was another fine match and great showing for Hayes despite the loss.

Santos/Lashley was fine but a bit more so-so than expected. Was nice to see Los Lotharios return and join Escobar. He will need back up for the LWO feud.

Dug the Logan Paul's little comments for the tournament related matches. He is a tremendous douchebag.

Actually paid some attention to Kross's promo vid this week. Kross taking credit for some if his opponents' turns for the past couple of years is a choice. Kind of saddened the Authors of Pain are seemingly going to be saddled with him. The two kind of showed before in promo vids they probably don't need anyone.

Styles/Solo was solid until the Bloodline interference and post match brawl. All of that was fine and continued the story of Styles, Orton, and Knight being at odds. I dug Roman pulling Solo and Jimmy back to let the faces destroy themselves.

4 solid-good matches and plenty of decent segments that moved various stories forward. A pretty solid show overall. The first week of the new year is looking good with all the matches set up Raw, NXT, and Smackdown. i kind of like how each show is getting treated as a special with a specific title from past PPVs/PLEs. 

• Like 1

Got two questions, both related in their way

1. When did WWE start this US title tournament

2. When did WWE start the push for GUNTHER keeping the title so long

because after watching AEW tonight I realize they've not only got a tournament but the exact same storyline with their Intercontinentalnational title. It's pretty cheap, and of course petty, if WWE is doing both of these things just because the other guys are.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

because after watching AEW tonight I realize they've not only got a tournament but the exact same storyline with their Intercontinentalnational title. It's pretty cheap, and of course petty, if WWE is doing both of these things just because the other guys are.

The tournament started 3 weeks ago to decide Logan Paul's first challenger at the Royal Rumble. They did the same thing during the summer when deciding a challenger for Theory as US champ

Gunther has held the IC title since June of 2022. Not sure when it was decided he would hold the belt for so long, but considering he held the NXT UK title for 2+years his long reign makes sense.

What is the story that is the exact same?  

Edited by Eivion

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

What is the story that is the exact same?  

There is no story. It was just me, personally, asking when both of these things started on both sides so I know who started first.

There is probably no connection or "stealing" of ideas or whatever, pure coincidence on both sides, but an interesting coincidence if so. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Have to say though I do hope the next time its suggested Kari does the trash lid spot with Shotzi someone says no. Kairi murders that poor woman every time even when it goes right.

Dude! I had to replay this one a few times because it looked so nasty, I think Shotzi turned in time so the lid hit her shoulder/back, but it's just seems like a nasty spot.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This feels very unfair, it's at best a coin flip whether AEW is running a tournament of some sort in any given month or not >_>

Also the story with Orange and the international title was the run gradually breaking him down and how long he can possibly keep it up, with Gunther it is who can possibly stop this unstoppable champion.

• Like 1

Word is WWE is sending an NXT wrestler to challenge Nakajima for the Triple Crown in All Japan in a couple of weeks. Presuming they aren't going to win the title (which to be fair we aren't sure of), who should that be? Don't think Ilja, Bron, or Dragon Lee should lose about now, but maybe Carmelo would be good. Maybe Dijak?

For a one off match, probably one of the more experienced UK guys, for a few matches? Whoever is remaining from that original 2.0 class: Bron, Melo (is there strict weight class separation in AJPW?) Tony D, or either one of Briggs or Jensen.

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

For a one off match, probably one of the more experienced UK guys, for a few matches? Whoever is remaining from that original 2.0 class: Bron, Melo (is there strict weight class separation in AJPW?) Tony D, or either one of Briggs or Jensen.

I'm shocked we haven't gotten to Gulak, Dempsey, Axiom, Thorpe or Bate as possibilities.

Just saw something on Facebook that said that 

Spoiler

Karrion Kross and the Authors of Pain

are set to be returning at New Year's Revolution in Vancouver. Taking this with a grain of salt, obviously, considering it was practically a meme from a page I don't even follow; but anyway I just saw it. Couldn't hurt to spread rumors about something I could give less of a shit about!