DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/13 - 12/19/2023 - Winter is Coming... Quick, Look Busy!

Dolfan in NYC

Really liked Collision, not much to add to what others have said except the idea of Abadon being aligned with someone is weird. They went from this scary unpredictable “actual zombie” to just “living dead girl” who does a little neck twitch thing to mimic “fixing” a broken neck in a horror movie. But again, I don’t personally get it but they are very over so glad everyone else is happy. Looking forward to Thunder Bae again. Also, they should change Skye’s name to Dark Skye.

Also The Acclaimed! Being more serious! And should be a fun match against Top Flight Action.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

It's possible I'm very out of touch, so I'm asking this non-glibly: Does the "Living Dead Girl" moniker contradict Abadon's non-binary pronouns?

No. It's possible to be both non-binary and a woman, as it's not an either/or thing. Gender isn't necessarily a hard-coded thing so if they feel that "girl" represents them, but she/her pronouns don't, that's just who they are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

No. It's possible to be both non-binary and a woman, as it's not an either/or thing. Gender isn't necessarily a hard-coded thing so if they feel that "girl" represents them, but she/her pronouns don't, that's just who they are.

I am Octopus and Man.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s just that Living Dead Girl is a really fucking good song!  I once saw Rob Zombie in concert and he told everyone to stop filming with their phones and just enjoy the fucking show.  So he’s aces in my book.

For the tournament, I love the idea of Eddie beating Danielson in the semi, getting revenge for the “ Eddie is a bum” thing.  Swerve and Mox rematch likewise feels obvious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I once saw Rob Zombie in concert and he told everyone to stop filming with their phones and just enjoy the fucking show.  So he’s aces in my book.

Sorry, but I hate this. I have videos of when I saw Kanye, NIN and Paul McCartney and I still watch them back to this day even though those shows were well over 5 years ago. And remember them, too. You can enjoy the show and film some videos at the same time, they’re not mutually exclusive.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Re: AEW Rampage
OC/Von Erichs v Hager/Menard/Parker
was a nice little spectacle. Hager is a great, great hand. The Von Erichs looked far better here than with the Outrunners. I’d love to see ‘Pants’ Von Erich find more of family presentation. Kevin Von Erich is an inspiration. So heartwarming seeing him apply that Claw atop Hager’s head. Mark Briscoe/Jay Lethal Promo was fucking awesome. Really fun stuff. I sense more and more ppl are seeing that Mark Briscoe could be a top guy in this company. Fletcher/Hobbs squash *fart sound. Don Callis promo was his regular industry standard. Ruby promo was alright. I sense there’s some good comedy to be had with Saraya. A reason for some 'good' writers. This isn’t 2019 anymore. I skimmed Red Velvet v Anna Jay. Both ladies should be working ROH regularly/weekly. Anna Jay is gonna be a huge star one day. I really like Daddy Magic in Anna's corner. There’s some Heenan in Menard, and it's time to let it shine. Velvet will never amount to anything until she submits to her inner heel. Both would benefit from regular reps on ROH! Martins/Andretti v Penta/Kommander/Vikingo was sensational! M-Pro 97 vibes. Absolutely loved this. Really hoping Andretti/Martins take the Trios titles and restore some excitement to the Division. One of the better all time Rampages.

Re: Collision
Fun Opening Montage. Both Brody and Andrade are hanging at the hotel. Andrade's mean mug antics are hilarious (hold that shot). Andrade v Claudio was beautiful, fucking beautiful! Minus the overbooking on the finish. No need for Claudio to low blow him. I didn’t not like it tho. Sharpshooter into the Figure Four was the highlight for me. I skimmed passed Abadon v Allure and saw the poorly timed and silly SKYE BLACK turn. I do like Skye and Julia as a team. This reminded me of Julia’s silly overlong turn on Pillman/Griff. I liked seeing Rosa here. Not a huge fan of her last run, but let’s see what she has upon return. Acclaimed promo was fine. Dad Ass is sometimes a very shitty promo. Bowens' catchphrase feels Heel at this point. Let’s pass along those titles to the Young Stallions. OC v Bryan Keith was excellent. Keith did very well with his minutes this weekend. Loved that Headbutt he threw OC in the corner. Miro promo. Do I sense a pivot from the tone deaf shit from last week? FTR/HOB promo was good. I wonder if Dax didn’t get some sort of comeuppance in that ROH Trios bout? Maybe not. I just wonder. Cash was good here. He should lead more. So too Buddy on the other side. Coherence from the HOB is a step-up. I’m totally game for an FTR v HOB feud. I hope we can get this started soon. Keith Lee Video was good. Wow, Swerve v Keith Lee is finally happening!? Statlander/Willow v Mercedes/Diamante was a lot of fun. I very much dug the Jules Winnfield/Vincent Vegas homage. They should form a true team and just run with that presentation. I don’t feel the need for weapons like this regularly, but they should let the ladies do more brawls. Toni/Mariah May/Renee promo was good. What a goddamn sight for sore eyes. Mariah May has great character. I sense she’s about to become AEW’s biggest star. Brian Cage squash was excellent. Far better facepaint presentation here. Say what you will about Cage, but he knows how to do a squash! Will Hobbs amongst others could learn a thing or two about how to truly be ‘In Action’. I really liked the fun Cage/Nana/Embassy promo that followed. I'm ticked by the idea of these four living in Swerve's house, and bragging about living in Swerve's house! Kingston v Daniel Garcia was a wonderful pro wrestling match. I felt Big Brother vibes between these two and it was endearing thru the ass beating. I’m all for any reason to get Menard on commentary. Garcia v Menard smells like a plan. Danielson v Brody King was wonderful violent Art. This Danielson's Orbital Bone injury is too ‘real to me dammit’. This tournament continues to provide nothing but great television segments, while dominating the shows, and, I continue to feel nothing but ‘AEWRTMFW’ vibes.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 7

For some reason Rampage still hasn't shown up on DAZN, but at least Collision has. This was one hell of an episode!

Every one of the tournament matches delivered big time. Eddie is still in this. Once again, I figured a draw could be possible between Danielson and King. Brody looked super strong in defeat, even though the second knee barely touched him. The third one was a total death move and he still kicked out at 3,5 as noted by the commentary.

Bounty Hunter made another great showing against OC and was very over with this crowd. The opening promo with OC going "Yeah, I don't know what this is?" was absolutely fantastic!

The street fight was excellent! Abadon and Thunder Rosa also finding common (burial)ground. Rosa to challenge Julia after Abadon, probably. Good thing she happened to do commentary on this night.

FTR promo with HOB wasn't great but I am definitely looking forward to the match. Wheeler vs Matthews! Bring it!

Brian Cage with a quick win, maybe we get Cage vs Lee before we FINALLY get around to Swerve vs Lee, because that was who Lee was talking about all this time and for a good reason.

The Assclaimed is back for revenge on whomever the Devil ends up being, but are still nice enough to give Top Flight Action their shot!

Yes, this was awesome. I just wanted to watch Rampage first, but whatever

Edited by Shartnado
Cemetary joke for Rosa/Abadon
  • Like 3

On 12/18/2023 at 12:45 AM, JLowe said:

Really liked Collision, not much to add to what others have said except the idea of Abadon being aligned with someone is weird. They went from this scary unpredictable “actual zombie” to just “living dead girl” who does a little neck twitch thing to mimic “fixing” a broken neck in a horror movie. But again, I don’t personally get it but they are very over so glad everyone else is happy. Looking forward to Thunder Bae again. Also, they should change Skye’s name to Dark Skye.

Also The Acclaimed! Being more serious! And should be a fun match against Top Flight Action.

But if Abadon were to team up with someone, it would probably be someone hailing from the Cemetaries, right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Poor Jerry. That was just sad. How many times did he say "World Light Heavyweight Champion"? 

The best part was when he went in on JR and when King called him on it and JR had no idea why, I was dying.

In ECW he would do the voice to say “Jerry fucking Lynn” which still wasn’t much better but Jerry Lynn’s promos were always kind of terrible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Hell yeah he did.  I'd love for them to sign him.

I saw him wrestle Ortiz at an indie show a couple of weeks ago and it was great.  Ortiz came out to "Smooth Operator" and BK spent his whole entrance in the ring mean mugging while singing along to every word.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lots of good wrestling on last week's shows, but man, I F'n LOVED Brody-Andrade.  Those two beat the everloving shit out of each other, the crossbody into the barricade was particularly brutal

I'm still down on the Timeless Toni act but her promo on I think Dynamite referring to her future opponents as "titless, blind and balding" cracked me up

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

TK should just start blatantly stealing Lucha Underground's IP. I doubt whoever owns it couldn't be bought off cheaply (by Khan standards) and HOB vs. The Reptile Tribe would be fun.

Court Bauer already had that idea and is ripping it off in MLW. He even hired Dario Cueto and Salina de la Renta. 

I like Bryan Keith but man, he's small for what I was expecting. Like Johnathan Gresham small. 

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I saw him wrestle Ortiz at an indie show a couple of weeks ago and it was great.  Ortiz came out to "Smooth Operator" and BK spent his whole entrance in the ring mean mugging while singing along to every word.

That's up there with Swerve using "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Khan or the old days when Rich Swann used "All Night Long."  I'm just a sucker for wrestling themes that don't feel like wrestling themes.

• Like 1