DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/13 - 12/19/2023 - Winter is Coming... Quick, Look Busy!

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Are the goons two different groups or are they just working for both devils not realizing they’re two different people?

I would imagine that they would have to be the same guys,  but they would be kinda clueless if they can't figure out that sometimes the devil speaks in a woman's voice. Britt and Cole are roughly the same size so that wouldn't be an issue, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

but they would be kinda clueless if they can't figure out that sometimes the devil speaks in a woman's voice

we already established that the Devil communicates through text messages 2 weeks ago, but maybe the Devil is using AI to generate a fake Ole Anderson voice

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Also happy 19th birthday to Billie Starkz who just got to experience being namedropped in a bad segment for no good reason

(edit: but this is probably the best era in history to be a 19 year old woman in a wrestling federation, for whatever that's worth because there's still awfulness that gets noted from time to time)

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also happy 19th birthday to Billie Starkz who just got to experience being namedropped in a bad segment for no good reason

It wasn't the best line by Jericho, for sure, but my takeaway from it was this: the same building where she's challenging for the ROH title tomorrow night, was silent for the reference because no one has any idea about it, and has only seen her on the main shows once or twice so far. Just let ROH fucking die already. It's like the "tree falling in the forest, no one's there, does it make a sound" thing at this point, except the forest in question is a Collision taping where 90% of the audience went home hours ago.

Re: devil speculation - I agree we're rapidly reaching the expiration date on this one. I think anyone currently under contract, Jungle Boy, MJF/Cole themselves, or otherwise, risks being a disappointment.* My gut is that the crowd is expecting a big debut, but Callihan's not the guy. I could see it being Mustafa Ali. Dolph Ziggler would be interesting, but at the same time, I think you risk a negative reaction with him in this particular role given his WWE longevity - I could see accusations of it being another move toward WWE-Lite optics wise.

Here's a name I haven't seen yet: what about PAC? He came back real quick, hit that awesome line on Kenny about WHAT YE DID TO ME NOSE BONE, and... that's about it. Where's he at?

Edit: * = unless it's a logical, yet shocking turn. See my post on next page

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Just let ROH fucking die already.

yeah if AEW could actually get through this TV deal period without getting booted off of TBS/TNT by the WWE, maybe they just need to make Rampage into the ROH TV show if they can't get a 4th show from WBD.

Either way, turn the whole Ring of Honor thing into just an AEW TV show instead of pretending it's a wrestling promotion that isn't the AEW Junior league.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

we already established that the Devil communicates through text messages 2 weeks ago, but maybe the Devil is using AI to generate a fake Ole Anderson voice

Yes, there are ways around that for sure, but you would think that when the cameras are not on the devil, they would talk in their normal voice because wtf? That should clue them in, unless they indeed are complete morons!

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yes, there are ways around that for sure, but you would think that when the cameras are not on the devil, they would talk in their normal voice because wtf? That should clue them in, unless they indeed are complete morons!

unless it's Nikita Koloff using his Russian voice on the Crockett plane

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, peterien said:

One thing I can never understand about AEW and their YouTube channel is that instead of posting snippets of segments or matches they post the WHOLE thing. What entices people to watch Dynamite live

Shhh...this is saving me like $100/month on a cable subscription...

Therefore related: I took to youtube to watch the Golden Jets/tag champions segment that everyone has been discussing. Yeah, not good. I don't like fully scripted WWE-style promos, but I think this showed that there can be a happy medium. Everybody was stepping all over each other, misspeaking and messing up common turns of phrase, etc. It felt like we were seeing the rough draft of something that needed a lot more workshopping to be considered finished.

Also, for all of the credit that Jericho often gets about his ability to reinvent himself, a lot of the misogyny present in his act since the Attitude Era has a way of resurfacing. There was no real reason to bring up Billie Starkz in that segment, but being compared to her isn't an insult. If Ricky had been a little quicker, he could've easily turned that one around on Jericho. Something like: "Hang on, why should I be offended at being compared to a young wrestling prodigy? I'm one of those too." But I guess for Jericho being a young woman is a bad thing.

Speaking of Ricky Starks, I hesitate to air this out but I've been feeling it for a while: I think in retrospect breaking up him and Hobbs was one of AEW's more significant non-Punk-related missteps so far. When he and Hobbs were teamed up, Starks really did feel like the next big thing to me. They were a hot act. Ever since that split and Ricky's face turn -> everything since, it feels like he's lost something. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Someone on Reddit (yeah, I know) had a pretty interesting idea: what if there are TWO devils, one trying to help MJF and the other trying to hurt him, and they aren't aware of who the other person is! In that case the devils were Britt and Cole. But of course,  they both would have goons, so that theory kinda falls apart there. But I found that a very interesting outcome.

Obviously Cole was there to help MJF but Britt was there to hurt him because he hogs all of Cole's time and Britt's tv time.

I still think the best way to go is with the Devil being Britt Baker, with Wardlow, Sammy Guevara, Jack Perry & Kyle O’Reilly as the goons or whatever you want to call them. Or maybe just have it as Britt and the goons are just nameless and faceless because that’s not the important part.

Either way, we need her far away from the women’s division soon because I’m pretty sure Jamie Hayter is nearing a return date surely. And nobody wants face Jamie versus heel Britt hogging time on TV.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, Hobbs slammed very large person Paul Wight on a car like a month ago and Hobbs been on TV like twice since then?

Getting sucked into the Callis vortex hasn’t worked for anyone but Callis. Takeshita and Fletcher were having great matches and getting over, and Hobbs was getting over after overcoming the QTV heat sink.

The Devil angle has no possible satisfying conclusion that I can think of. I also don’t care and it’s a drain on my interest in these shows. Anyone I like who has been pitched as the reveal deserves better than trying to explain and carry off all this nonsense. And beyond that, there are some people who I’m actively seeking to avoid going forward who seem more and more likely to be the reveal (if they couldn’t give me the good work-shoot personal issue bullshit when they actually had Punk and I’d have run through a brick wall to give them my money, maybe don’t make me think about the failings of this company by making this about Jack Perry and glass). 

At least the prospect of Sammy and Kyle matches is on the horizon. That’s something I guess. 

Whoever said the best way to watch this show right now is to skip the promos and angles is right. Stuff stinks. Genuinely wonder if the clout vampire thing got under Jericho’s skin. Speaking of not making us think about the failings of this company, no need to ever mention The Firm again. As Jericho would say, just like this Devil stuff, it’s a stupid idea from bad creative. 

Brody vs Andrade ruled. Love that we’re getting all these Brody singles matches. Gonna suck when he goes back into hibernation for six months after the tourney is over. When they brought up his Royal Rampage win, I got bummed out about how long ago that was. 

Maybe Jarrett vs Lethal is on the horizon. Something for me to look forward to. 

Roderick Strong is getting TV time and I hit fast forward every time his voice enters the chat. Remarkable achievement making more Roddy a bad thing. The neck strong stuff is stupid, he’s Roddy Strong, just let him wrestle. In almost twenty years, I can’t remember a time I’ve been put off by him. The state of things right now. 

I’d say at least Samoa Joe is impossible to make lame, but he might get kidnapped by ninjas next week. 

• Like 2

Christian is the best choice for the Devil. His motivation? Being TNT champ isn't enough. To be the patriarch of AEW, he needs the World title. So to avoid having MJF go after him while he took care of business elsewhere, he setup folks to go after MJF, break him down, destroy the trust of others around him, but it's ok because Christian is there to be a father figure for Max.

• Like 4

Plus I guess you could eventually do Blood and Guts with the Patriarchy (Christian, Luchasaurus, Jack Perry, Nick Wayne, and, uh, fuck it, Wardlow since he doesn't have a dad) vs MJF's crew after he re-wins his "friends" back over (MJF, Cole, Max Caster, Samoa Joe?, and, why not, Adam Page).

The cure for the AEW Winter Blues is 'Tape Delay'. Alotta fun was had over Toast and Coffee this morning. I could care less about the 'Devil', but I was very much into Hangman and Joe squaring off. I'm a high voter on 'Adam!' era Roddy, and loved him here leading into Hangman v Roddy. So fucking excellent! I didn't love the weak Buckeye finisher, but better than seeing Roddy get head dropped. I like the decision to keep Hangman strong. Brody King v Andrade follows and did not derail the fun. True slobberknocker! One would imagine Andrade being WWE bound, but this booking suggests maybe not? Von Erichs/Orange promo was a little bit shitty, but not long enough to induce irritation. We didn't see enough of Renee this evening. Jericho/Omega/Bill/Starks was one of the worst Jericho Townhalls yet. I sense it was bad enough that Jericho won't repeat it. I like Ricky Starks, but 'Cool Heel' persona's are often problematic. Tho, I do wish he'd leaned into it harder here. Maybe it's the frothy oat milk in my coffee talking, but this to me was bad enough to be funny. I very much enjoyed Ruby Soho v Riho. I sometimes struggle with Ruby, but I liked her here in an enhancement role. Riho is so underrated by so many. It seems so clear she has a great mind for pro wrestling. Rush v Jay Lethal was kinda perfect. Where it was placed on the show and in the tournament. Rush didn't exactly eat him up, but it was decisive and points him towards Mox post CC. Lethal is good at the job. Jay White v Mark Briscoe continues the golden streak of Mark Briscoe matches. He's been as good as anybody, Danielson included, in this tournament. They aren't doing him dirty. His is a redemption story, and will no doubt have it's day. He clearly has a strong connection with the audience. I also like the decision to keep Jay White strong. He's only some fine tuning with his mic game away from being back at the top of the card. Mox v Swerve was just wonderful. I love the feeling that this Dallas crowd gave off with their appreciation of these two gifted performers. And they did not disappoint. It seems pretty clear Swerve's getting that 'cheap win' back in the league finals. I didn't hate the closing beatdown of Hangman. I must admit my attention is still on trying to figure out who these masked guys are. I think I see Wardy in there. I find it diffiuclt to complain with so much great wrestling on these shows. I urge low voters on this episode to try 'Tape Delay'. Minus one segment, I loved this episode. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Casey said:

Hangman had his first match post-Texas Death tonight. Omega had his first match post-Bucks #1 contender match last Saturday.

Hangman being in the opposite league of Swerve would’ve continued their program, which they’re already hinting at. Not like Omega couldn't fail to get to the finals but then Jericho cashes in their tag title shot (or does it, and the stress of potentially working two matches in a night gets to Omega and causes him to start losing matches?)

That would’ve eliminated two of the three (keep Brody because Brody is awesome either way).

I think a cooler idea would have been a Devil busting Swerve with a beer bottle (with REAL GLASS) during the CC, then getting out before anyone can get to him.

Everyone thinks it's Hangman, but Hangman was just wearing a devil mask while not being the actual devil, doing it to screw Swerve.  Save the beatdown of Hangman until after that.

MJF and Joe can get paranoid as well, with more justification, and Hangman can't admit he was just pretending or he gets fired for interference in the CC.