DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FOURTEEN

RIPPA

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Incredible display of place kicking on SNF.

And I don't even mean that sarcastically. Truly incredible work by the Dallas kicker.

it's "all three phases" for a reason.  Dallas definitely came into this season with a lot of room for improvement and it sure looks like they've made it

The Chiefs have multiple people who could have been called for lining up wrong on this play.  You honestly can't tell who is supposed to be on the line and who is supposed to be off the line based on this formation.  The right tackle and Kadarius Toney are both supposed to be on the line, but are almost 3 yards apart.  Toney isn't even lined up with the ball, he's in front of it.  The ball is behind the hashmark, his toe looks to be in front of the hashmark.  You absolutely have to call that if you are the referee.

• Like 5

It makes me wonder if one reason that drive never moved another inch is that Mahomes was so over the top pissed off about it he lost focus. Even during the post game handshake he complains to Josh Allen about the call (like the person that cares the least in the entire stadium), I've never seen such an over the top reaction to a correct call. The non-PI call against them last week was much worse and didn't get this type of reaction. I figure it has to be a combination of frustration from the season and legitimately being mad that Kelce's "legendary" play didn't count, its rare to see a player be so animated about a simple offsides call.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The Chiefs have multiple people who could have been called for lining up wrong on this play.  You honestly can't tell who is supposed to be on the line and who is supposed to be off the line based on this formation.  The right tackle and Kadarius Toney are both supposed to be on the line, but are almost 3 yards apart.  Toney isn't even lined up with the ball, he's in front of it.  The ball is behind the hashmark, his toe looks to be in front of the hashmark.  You absolutely have to call that if you are the referee.

Yeah - I saw someone point out that if you say Toney is lined up on the line of scrimmage, than illegal formation should have been called because the other side of the field will be fucked up

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Corbin currently asking around if Travis Kelce wants to face him at Wrestlemannia

You joke, but Baron possibly getting Taylor fucking Swift to Wrestlemania would all but guarantee him a WWE job for life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

YouTube’s algorithm has started offering up original broadcast footage of games from the 70s and 80s and seeing how the game used to be really drives home the ridiculous degree of slack modern linemen get when bowing up in that V shape for pass protection. Especially since the game’s so pass heavy now that they line up like this so frequently. No wonder Toney couldn’t tell he was offside: the tackles are deeper in the backfield than the slot receiver.

No wonder so many teams suck at running the ball: it’s the only time the OL lines up legally, and that tips the play to the defense

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

That would be the right tackle that also false starts on nearly every snap.  The one where Collinsworth and McAuley were ripping on the officials for not calling him being too far back all the way back in week 1 against the Lions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

YouTube’s algorithm has started offering up original broadcast footage of games from the 70s and 80s and seeing how the game used to be really drives home the ridiculous degree of slack modern linemen get when bowing up in that V shape for pass protection. Especially since the game’s so pass heavy now that they line up like this so frequently. No wonder Toney couldn’t tell he was offside: the tackles are deeper in the backfield than the slot receiver.

No wonder so many teams suck at running the ball: it’s the only time the OL lines up legally, and that tips the play to the defense

I was thinking about something similar watching the Dallas DL, Ends, and LBs control that game last night. They’re dang good, I’m not disputing that, but at 1 time there were quarterbacks in the league who would have burned them every time down the sidelines deep by standing there until the last second before launching it. They don’t even try that anymore. I know 1 reason is because they would rather score the normal Xs and Os way while protecting the quarterback yes, because the quarterbacks would still always get drilled. 

Kenny Pickett will remain Out for the Steelers.   Titty Kisser will start on Saturday vs. Indy. 

And next Thursday will feature the MAIN EVENT IN ANY ARENA~! match up of:

Aidan O'Connell (LV) vs. Easton Stick (LAC)

(Justin Herbert has a broken finger and no timeline on a return.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

also the linemen on both sides are larger than ever and teams running guys up the middle are running with the hope that their back can make it through the gap between multiple 6'5/350lb guys. Just looking at my copy of the 1994 Pro Football Guide (an almanac of the 1993 season), Dallas won a Super Bowl with an OL that had multiple 6'3/330 guys. Meanwhile Washington had multiple regular offensive lineman who were listed in the 280s and their coach got fired in a year.

Nowadays, a bad team like the Panthers has 7 linemen listed at a height/weight similar to 1993 Nate Newton. And that's not even getting into the differences between defensive linemen then and now.

I suspect there has been slightly more innovation in the pass game than the run game over the 30 years since I started watching football if the number of run plays which look like mid-90s runs is any indicator. Running between the tackles almost feels like a waste play unless you really need just a few yards. Running off tackle feels more rewarding these days.

The size of lineman is always going to be secondary to the skill of the lineman.  The Cowboys had a great offensive line because all of those massive dudes could play,  not because of their size. If there is an issue with current line play it has very little to do with the size of the players and everything to do with the lack of skill on display. There are multiple teams that are consistent at the top of the league with their line play,  and it's because they focus on the skills required to play at a high level. The Cowboys always seem to have a line full of future hall of famers for a reason. They're obviously picking the right players,  but they're also emphasizing the skills it takes to maximize their abilities.  Until McDaniels took over,  the Dolphins spent countless draft picks in lineman who never seemed to pan out. Playing offensive line requires people to be large,  but that size means next to nothing without the relevant skills. If you want to talk about how hard it is to teach these skills with limited practice,  I'm all ears,  but the size of the players is pretty far down the list of the problems with line play in my eyes. 

• Like 3

I think right now we appear to be in a moment where, after years of offensive innovation and offense friendly rule changes, defenses are finally catching back up. The things that defenses just couldn't stop for the last few seasons aren't working as well this year. We seem to have exited or at least paused the "whoever has the ball last will win" era. Points have been at a premium for the most part this year.

I expect we aren't far away from more rules being changed if this keeps up. The NFL desperately does not want their version of the 00's NBA where finals games routinely had one or even both teams held under 100 points.

9 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

he complains to Josh Allen about the call (like the person that cares the least in the entire stadium),

Granted, 99% of the sideline shots of Josh Allen, even when things go wrong for the Bills, make him look like he is thinking about anything except the football game.  Maybe he just watched Office Space and is thinking about "2 girls at the same time".

As for defenses, Carolina & New England have the #4 and #9 YPG defenses in the league.  The Jets are fifth, ATL is 11th.  3 of those 4 teams give up the same number of points or fewer than "Defense of Doom" Cleveland.  But all of those teams fucking stink.  Atlanta's only 6-7 because they're 3-1 in the worst division in football.  You could, in fact, go through the entire league and look nearly at every below-.500 team and say their biggest weakness is 'crap QB play/injuries at the QB position'.  The Seahawks and the Chargers might be the only exception to that.  The Seahawks have lost a couple of games they could have won, but Herbert's been injured most of the year and they're coached by a crack-addicted squirrel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

The size of lineman is always going to be secondary to the skill of the lineman

yeah there's a reason other than peer pressure that linemen aren't Yokozuna sized because they have to be large but also able to do something while being large

but when you consider how much space there is from left tackle to right tackle, if the tackles are about the same length from each other, but are also larger, there's less space to go through holes between the tackles, even if it's probably a small difference. Sorta like trying to fly a plane through a canyon without touching anything