DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 12/4 - 12/10/2023 - Jingle All The Rhea

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Live Thoughts:
A night of matches I hope get posted on YouTube without commercials at some point! Is it part of WWE's psy-op to drive live attendance and PLE subs to only show half of every match? This must be such old hat for people who have been watching regularly

McIntyre and Zayn was a strong showing for TV, I like Drew's new direction

I really dug DIY/Imperium. Sneaky Pete turned a crossbody into a legit offensive move again

In a month Natalya will have been with the company for 17 years straight. She and I are the same age. Sunrise, sunset

Next Day Thoughts:
Cody is such a cornball, I still have no idea what people see in him

JD and Dom/Creeds was good stuff. I see the criticisms of the Creeds, they do lack experience and could use a little edge/fire/fighting spirit. It's always tough when green folks have to learn on TV but I'm not sure how else it can get done these days, WWE doesn't do excursions and they think if anyone tours the indies they'll come back with bad habits. Also, the JD stands for Judgement Day, his name is Judgement Day McDonagh now

Main event was solid, it never hit that next level and the finish kind of stunk imo. I'm into seeing how Jey can grow as a single outside of the Bloodline, still a ways to go before he's world title level though

I think that initial NXT 2.0 men's class (Bron, Melo, Creeds, Von, Tony D, Briggs and Jenson, Waller) that are still in NXT are as far along as they're going to get and any improvements are going to come on the road with the main roster. They're as mechanically smooth as they're going to be in the ring and they can connect with the PC audience since it's a lot of the same folks so they're not going to learn any new tricks that way. Any improvements for the Creeds are going to come with working out the kinks in front of crowds that don't know that much about them like Waller has figured out. 

Roxanne vs. Fallon vs. Thea vs. Kiana was good. Dug the everyone hates Kiana aspect. Also dug the general hatred Kiana and Roxanne kept showing and how it took both out at the end. The finish quickly after that was decent enough. Not a big fan of Fallon so her getting in the Iron Survivor disappoints me me a pinch, especially since I get the feeling her chances of winning are high.

Kiana & Roxanne continuing to destroy each other backstage post match was fun and a good setup for the cage match.

The Wes Lee injury was surprising. Thought it might be bullshit until I saw the legit tears coming out of him. Definitely feel for him. Was also looking forward to that match with Dom. Dragon Lee is a good replacement quality wise and the history with Dom is there, but it feels weird to see him challenge a third time.

Lola/Tatum was a nice showcase for both women. I'm liking Tatum's new creep factor and obsession with Lyra. She stands out a lot more than she ever did before. WIll be interesting to see how that relationship builds.

Alpha Academy vs. Meta-Four was super fun as expected. Lash delivering the slam to Otis was awesome and honestly felt like something that should have been saved for a bigger audience. Maxxine didn't look too bad here in her limited actions and the Gable assisted dive outside was neat. 

The Women's Iron Survivor Summit was alright. I usually just prefer the promo vids they do for matches like this, but it kind of made sense to go this route with the final participant only being decided earlier in the night. It also set up the chaotic brawl that screwed over poor Axiom and Frazer's match. Normally I would hate that, but it helped enhanced the chaotic feel of the situation and tonight in general.

Hayes vs. Thorpe vs. Bate vs. Coffey was another good match. It had plenty of good action and nice setups. I actually thought this was one of Thorpe's best performances in NXT so far. He stood out and the moment that took him out of the match worked well. Bate winning was a nice surprise. The post match with the men of the Iron Survivor was fine, but felt like a rehash of what the women already did.

The final segment with Corbin thinking he had Ilja's number via pissing him off only for ilja to hug him was an interesting choice. Kind of dug it, especially with Corbin having that nervous look of someone realizing they made have made a mistake. 

Thought tonight was solid and a good build for Deadline. The card is bigger than expected with Kiana/Roxanne, Frazer/Axiom, and Hayes/King being added, but it should be fun. Also happy to see them finally announce the participants for the Men's Breakout tournament.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

The final segment with Corbin thinking he had Ilja's number via pissing him off only for ilja to hug him was an interesting choice. Kind of dug it, especially with Corbin having that nervous look of someone realizing they made have made a mistake. 

Yeah, the overwrought "DO I OR DON'T I GIVE IN TO ANGER" thing was stretching a bit thin until the embrace.  That was the perfect way to end that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Couldn't even watch the shit tonight and I tried. I turn it on, they're already on commercial break FOUR MINUTES IN. Turn back, there's Chase U doing something backstage. Turn back, there's a lineup of gals there I guess to shit-talk each other on the mic. The only time I caught wrestling was Chad Gable, who doesn't wrestle for NXT, winning a match.

I mean, if you can't get into a show where this happens... I don't know what to tell you:

• Like 5

Reminder to hide your intoxicating beverages and substances as one Chicago Made Punk will be in attendance tonight at Smackdown.  Perhaps speaking with a "wise man".  

Only saw the last half of Smackdown

Punk's make up promo was better. He made the AEW reference for those who wanted one, I thought it was relatively tame and self-effacing all things considered and maybe it was this specific crowd but they didn't seem to care. I don't know if he's back in therapy or just using WWE-speak but he's going on journeys with y'all and it's a little happy go lucky

Didn't see enough of Charlotte/Asuka to judge. The overshot moonsault could've ended worse than it did, hope she's alright

Orton and Knight/Bloodline was good shit and we got a good amount of it (maybe because the previous match got cut short). Solo hits some nice suplexes to round out his brawling, looking forward to more of those as he gets better. Throwing dudes on the announce table like those poor Bollywood Boys is now a standard Orton move, I hope they get a Christmas card from Randy for getting that over

I think Punk will sign with Raw, I hope he's on Smackdown

Santos/Dragon was solid with a neat stuff though a slight step down from their PLE match.

Lashley/Kross was alright.

Skipped around parts of Punk's promo as it went long. What I caught seemed decent enough, and I do like him finally making his aim to main event Wrestlemania known at the end. Its a solid goal to name and builds off of his reasons for leaving in the first place. 

Asuka/Charlotte seemed decent enough before commercial break though was a bit off upon return. There were implications from the commentary team that Charlotte took bad bump and landed on her head. Not sure how accurate, but you could tell she was a bit off though it seemed more her leg than head. The finish with Bayley making the save worked well enough.

Orton/Knight vs. Jimmy/Solo was fun.

Nothing standout match wise. Story/segment wise everything was decent enough though I think the big deal was suppose to be punk's promo which i didn't catch all of since he does little for me. Not a bad episode of Smackdown though I enjoyed Raw and NXT more this week. That tends to be a norm for me when it comes to NXT vs. Raw & Smackdown. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Punk thought that line about how you can't punch guys backstage seemed to pop only one person in that building and it was him.   so much for expecting WWE fans to be invested in AEW backstage drama

The people who thought WWE fans would care one bit about backstage AEW politics were dumb to begin with. I love AEW, but c’mon… they barely know it’s a thing, let’s be real honest about it. It’s like being a WWF guy in the 90s, knowing WCW or ECW exists but not understanding any references to them.

He said one line referencing insider shit. This is Punk, that’s not going to change. Hell, I just rewatched his return promo from 2011 on RAW with Triple H and he was doing the Blue Blood bow to mock Trips, and nobody got that reference then. This type of stuff is explicitly for terminally online fans. It’s his schtick.

• Like 1

Let me dream for a minute.

Heel Punk versus Austin, Night 1

Cody versus Reigns, Night 2

If he’s going to be a hypocrite and go back to WWE, might as well go all the way and do what he said MJF would end up doing, right? Fuck it, who cares.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

He made fun of punching Jack Perry. Maybe it would seem less "sorry not sorry" if I watched it back again, but... I doubt it.

I took it to be about his fight with the Elite and general locker room rep, I thought he facelocked Perry

Hell, I don't remember (re: the punch). It's probably better he get it out of the way by mentioning it though now that I think about it. And he coulda went all in and didn't.

EDIT: You know, he did do that finish the story thing in AEW. Right?

EDIT II: Pardon the pun above

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1