DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 12/4 - 12/10/2023 - Jingle All The Rhea

Dolfan in NYC

Alright, new week...

But first a note from the weekend:

The Creeds take on Dirty Dom & JD McPunchableFace  and Seth Rollins defends the World Heavyweight Championship against Jey Uso in a "100% Chance of Outside Interference" Match. 

Plus, the other guy who showed up at Survivor Series will be on Smackdown THIS FRIDAY!  

• Like 3

Drew/Sami was great. The segment leading into it was fun. The action was good. And I really dug the finish with Drew getting vicious. The backstage attack when Smai was recovering from the loss was nice as well. I love Drew's current heel persona. Its easily the best character stuff he has done in WWE. 

Nia/Shayna built into a solid match. 

DIY vs. Imperium built into a good match and did a decent job of dragging the crowd into it by the end. Wa snice to see a 2/3 falls match though I'm not sure the stip was warranted for this match. 

KC Squared vs. Nattie/Tegan had some rough moments, but was decent and made for a nice showcase for the KCs.

The Nakamura/Cody segment was solid and had another great vid from Nakamura going over the parallels of their failed stories and why Cody is his target. 

Creeds vs. Dom/JD was pretty fun and another great showcase for the Creeds. I only wish wish Truth hadn't come out as it felt like his presence served more as a distraction than anything else. I did enjoy Dom putting the Creeds over as legit dangerous to Priest post match. 

Jey/Seth built into a pretty damn good match and made me think for a short moment or two Jey could actually win. Was pleasantly surprised to see the crowd pretty into the idea as well. Seth was liked here, but the audience was well behind Jey. It surprisingly had a clean finish though it makes a strange kind of sense with Drew's post match murder of both guys. 

Pretty solid episode with decent segments and most of the matches ranging from solid-good. Drew/Sami and Seth/Jey in particular were standouts and well worth watching. I'm digging much of the general direction for Raw right now. I only hope the inevitable Seth/Punk feud isn't for the World title. Seth's current run has been good, but I kind of would have been good with nearly all of his opponents taking the belt off of him each time.

• Like 3

IMHO, Money in the Bank and the briefcase itself is starting to become a problem. It's plain to see that Triple H doesn't like the briefcase and doesn't like Money in the Bank, and he'd rather not have Priest as the briefcase holder.

Case in point, Priest had the perfect opportunity to cash in tonight, but he didn't do it.

So Seth is the champion right now. You want Seth to remain champion, and Priest has the briefcase, so what the hell do you do with the briefcase now? Look what happened with Austin Theory. Also, if Seth is champion until WrestleMania 40, then what do you do with the briefcase? 

Triple H doesn't like to hotshot and he doesn't like quick title reigns or surprise title changes. He's a traditionalist. That makes the Money in the Bank briefcase a problem. 

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

IMHO, Money in the Bank and the briefcase itself is starting to become a problem. It's plain to see that Triple H doesn't like the briefcase and doesn't like Money in the Bank, and he'd rather not have Priest as the briefcase holder.

Case in point, Priest had the perfect opportunity to cash in tonight, but he didn't do it.

So Seth is the champion right now. You want Seth to remain champion, and Priest has the briefcase, so what the hell do you do with the briefcase now? Look what happened with Austin Theory. Also, if Seth is champion until WrestleMania 40, then what do you do with the briefcase? 

Triple H doesn't like to hotshot and he doesn't like quick title reigns or surprise title changes. He's a traditionalist. That makes the Money in the Bank briefcase a problem. 

I kind of thought last night was the perfect time to do it even if you had Drew still attacking Jey post-match to give Priest the opening. I'm kind of questioning if the cash in is not being saved for whatever happens with Punk/Rollins. If you have Punk win and have the moment and then steal it from him in a "you get a sip but not the whole glass" kind of moment. I know that's been done a few times (I was at the one where Sheamus did it). 

• Like 1

Live Thoughts:
A night of matches I hope get posted on YouTube without commercials at some point! Is it part of WWE's psy-op to drive live attendance and PLE subs to only show half of every match? This must be such old hat for people who have been watching regularly

McIntyre and Zayn was a strong showing for TV, I like Drew's new direction

I really dug DIY/Imperium. Sneaky Pete turned a crossbody into a legit offensive move again

In a month Natalya will have been with the company for 17 years straight. She and I are the same age. Sunrise, sunset

Next Day Thoughts:
Cody is such a cornball, I still have no idea what people see in him

JD and Dom/Creeds was good stuff. I see the criticisms of the Creeds, they do lack experience and could use a little edge/fire/fighting spirit. It's always tough when green folks have to learn on TV but I'm not sure how else it can get done these days, WWE doesn't do excursions and they think if anyone tours the indies they'll come back with bad habits. Also, the JD stands for Judgement Day, his name is Judgement Day McDonagh now

Main event was solid, it never hit that next level and the finish kind of stunk imo. I'm into seeing how Jey can grow as a single outside of the Bloodline, still a ways to go before he's world title level though

• Like 2

So I'm very much for workers making as much money as possible. I'm also anti cooperate entities for the most part. But this trademark issue is some bad business.

The trademark owner is basically getting manipulated by Cornette crony Stephen New. That dude just wants to have a story to sit back and laugh with Cornette about. He isn't taking the worker's best interest in mind.

You wouldn't send a cease & desist or an injunction making them blur it if you were trying to make a deal. You'd allow them to keep using it while you negotiate. Basically this Huffmanly kid is gonna end up black balled from WWE for the way this is being handled. Even if he comes to an agreement with WWE they will hold a grudge over the trouble it caused.

Just a monumentally bad faith way to handle it if you're trying to look out for the worker's best interests. He may still get a good payout but will never be considered for a job there ever.

37 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

So I'm very much for workers making as much money as possible. I'm also anti cooperate entities for the most part. But this trademark issue is some bad business.

The trademark owner is basically getting manipulated by Cornette crony Stephen New. That dude just wants to have a story to sit back and laugh with Cornette about. He isn't taking the worker's best interest in mind.

You wouldn't send a cease & desist or an injunction making them blur it if you were trying to make a deal. You'd allow them to keep using it while you negotiate. Basically this Huffmanly kid is gonna end up black balled from WWE for the way this is being handled. Even if he comes to an agreement with WWE they will hold a grudge over the trouble it caused.

Just a monumentally bad faith way to handle it if you're trying to look out for the worker's best interests. He may still get a good payout but will never be considered for a job there ever.

Yeah, I don't mean to body shame or anything, but unless this guy is a super worker I don't think he'd be on their radar. Smells like broke indie guy wanting a payday he wouldn't get otherwise and an ambulance chaser's looking for a cut.

87460059_2465625313699756_11559705791996

Well you're not wrong lol.

I don't believe in becoming a wrestler as a hobby. This is a business for professionals. No not everyone is going to make it. But anyone in the business should be striving to make a living off of this. So if WWE isn't personally something he's striving for... then like why is he in the business?

That's ny basis for why I think this is so dumb. Maybe he's got a bad look & body now. But there's plenty of guys that got good got serious and transformed their bodies. He's shooting himself in the foot if his line of thinking is 'well WWE wouldn't want me anyways'. What WWE want can change on a whim. Don't limit one of the biggest sources of income in the industry just because this mark lawyer wants to have a story to tell on a Cornette podcast.

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Well you're not wrong lol.

I don't believe in becoming a wrestler as a hobby. This is a business for professionals. No not everyone is going to make it. But anyone in the business should be striving to make a living off of this. So if WWE isn't personally something he's striving for... then like why is he in the business?

That's ny basis for why I think this is so dumb. Maybe he's got a bad look & body now. But there's plenty of guys that got good got serious and transformed their bodies. He's shooting himself in the foot if his line of thinking is 'well WWE wouldn't want me anyways'. What WWE want can change on a whim. Don't limit one of the biggest sources of income in the industry just because this mark lawyer wants to have a story to tell on a Cornette podcast.

Here's the fun part. I just checked the USPTO database and his application for the trademark is still listed as pending, and the application has been suspended since May 2023. WWE likely blurred the logo because of the pending lawsuit while they see what they can do.

I'm not a lawyer but it's probably not a good idea to file a lawsuit on a trademark you don't actually have the right to (at least, not yet, anyway, but considering he filed for it in 2021 and doesn't actually have it... he's kinda screwed).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

in which Jerry McDevitt is called upon to do one more job for the WWE before retirement

And this case is featured on an episode of Dark Side Of The Ring: Season 17

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Triple H doesn't like to hotshot and he doesn't like quick title reigns or surprise title changes. He's a traditionalist. 

they did just do the hotshot with the women's one with Bianca winning then immediately losing to IYO's cash in.  and Cody & Jey winning the tag titles for a week just to drop them right back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

they did just do the hotshot with the women's one with Bianca winning then immediately losing to IYO's cash in.  and Cody & Jey winning the tag titles for a week just to drop them right back. 

Exceptions that prove the rule

Couldn't even watch the shit tonight and I tried. I turn it on, they're already on commercial break FOUR MINUTES IN. Turn back, there's Chase U doing something backstage. Turn back, there's a lineup of gals there I guess to shit-talk each other on the mic. The only time I caught wrestling was Chad Gable, who doesn't wrestle for NXT, winning a match.