DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXVII : WarGames - 11/25/2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Don’t care about Punk and the belt, need to see him sell for Gunther. This is the way.

Lol, I was going to make a list of matches I’d like to see and Gunther would be fun. Nakamura too. 
Promo battle with Logan Paul.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You can tell from the press conference [Hunter] still doesn't even really like [Punk]. 

Wonder if there was a "Bruno Sammartino watches the modern product and realizes the athleticism" moment for the Punk return story. "See, this isn't like 2013 WWE anymore!"

Hunter has made it through the last year of WWE stuff in pretty good shape and I guess he's figured out who he has to throw some bones towards to make sure they let him do his work undisturbed. Not every political maneuver is gonna be a 100% win. Vince is basically a corporate figurehead and Hunter is being allowed to cook. What a world.

Pretty good show tonight. Women's war games was fun to watch. I kept thinking Damage CTRL was turning on Bayley, but I guess they aren't doing that quite yet.

Gunther vs. Miz was went how I thought it would. I like seeing Miz fire it up and be serious once in a while. Surprised by the tap out ending. 

I thought Santos vs. Dragon Lee was good right up to the ending. It just felt a bit anticlimactic for him to win out of nowhere with the destroyer and then driver. I would have preferred to see him cheat to win or something. He is a bad guy after all.

Rhea vs. Zoey was pretty good. Typical Rhea match at this point. But Zoey looked good in defeat.

Mens wargames was good. It was good to see Randy back. He looked like he hadn't lost a step. The Super RKO was awesome. 

I'll admit they got me with the copyright logo and then the music hit. Oh boy there's so many ways this can go. I'm excited for the possibilities. 

• Like 4

The show was a blast. It was the first time in months my friend Chris, who I've been watching PPV's with regularly since 2010, was able to come over. We had a great time. I filled him in on all the angles, and  told him early in the show about the Punk rumors. 
After the main event when all the babyfaces are holding up each other's hands, I get up to go rock a piss and I say to Chris, " I knew it. What are they gonna do? Have Punk just come out and wave at the crowd?" 
I come back into the room and see Punk on the TV and Chris is all, " Dude, I got goosebumps!"  I totally missed it AND had loudly proclaimed there was no way he was showing up exactly one minute before he did.  
And I'm jazzed. I have no interest in arguing with anyone about Punk, but I've been a fan since 2004 and I still am. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Here is how this story goes:

1) Punk does shoot-y style promos and they are irritating because the WWE doesn’t really do that right now and it hasn’t missed a beat. There are quickly diminishing returns but people pretend to like it anyways.

2) Punk gets hurt in about six weeks.

3) Punk comes back and some drama happens and he’s gone by SummerSlam.

Nah, 5x speed this time, if that Rollins video is any indication.

Talk about your Day 1 Ish. WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS IF ONLY THERE HAD BEEN SOME SORT OF SIGN

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

IF "this is happening on a wrestling show in front of a bunch of fans" THEN "it's a work"

At least the wrestling drama-based economy won't cancel Christmas this year.

I suspect a rumor of "R-Truth is mad that his return was overshadowed by CM Punk" would be believed by some online people.

Rollins isn't that great of an actor.  He was being "held back" by people but not really.  So I'm guessing that was a work and they will play into the little Twitter beef he and Punk have had over the years.  I guess....   two guys I don't really need to see much of so if they are occupying each other's time that's ok with me.  

That brings me to something I was thinking about the other day about how Jericho is pretty much sucking the life out of everything I like in AEW.  He just latches himself now on to whatever is "hot" at the time and it goes on and on for months on end.  

Jericho has become everything he used to bitch and complain about in wrestling and now Punk is on his way to doing the same thing.  

The moral to the story is that nobody is above the mighty dollar,  these guys are ALL carnies,  100% of them.  Cena was another example. Bitching about The Rock being too Hollywood and leaving the company behind and then he does the same thing.  LOL.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

The WWE is a never say never company. I mean Bruno came back. Bret came back. Warrior came back. Punk coming back was an inevitability. 

Yeah I see this as Levesque’s first real “We will always do what’s best for business “ moment in charge. This is just a sign that still no bridge is ever burned in that company if a ton of money can be made from you.

Nah, you see, Punk never broke his foot, never got mad at the Bucks, wasn't fired, and this is just to set up Raw moving to TBS next year, when WWE and AEW will start working together.

In Memoriam of A_K 🙏 ☝️

• Haha 6

Looking at CageMatch and there were 33 Punk matches in AEW. 27 wins and 6 losses (22-3 in singles matches). All the singles losses were quickly avenged and Punk wasn't pinned in any of the tag losses. Just an amazing sequence of events, wasn't it?

In the scheme of things, adding Collision was probably more of a minus than adding Collision and then having to fire the De Facto King of Collision within 3 months. The timing worked out in a way where Punk got fired just in time to get some "they fired him and the ratings dropped" backup QB shine. They probably shouldn't have brought him back this year but well... things happened.

26 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Seth immediately went into "work" mode to get that WM main event spot, gotta love it.

That feels like "night 1 opener"  or "middle of the show marquee match up"  than a main event to me.   Roman will main event night 2 and I'm thinking Rhea is slotted for night 1 with someone, maybe Charlotte or Becky