WWE TV (10/9/23 - 10/15/23)

RIPPA

Bron getting promo time with Cena did get off the line of the night though:

Bron: "They didn't come to see you, Cena..."

Cena: "They cant."

(I think Bron even broke for a moment.)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

LMAO they really had Taker come out and kill Bron. You have maybe one of your biggest audiences and that’s how they a star. I also thought Cena being out there making Ilja look like an ant was an odd choice.

In fact, it was just a weird use of all of the stars not named Becky, Dom, or Rhea.

Bron has  been in a "putting people over on his way out" phase for a while.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Bron getting promo time with Cena did get off the line of the night though:

Bron: "They didn't come to see you, Cena..."

Cena: "They cant."

(I think Bron even broke for a moment.)

Bron broke when Taker came out too, you can see the smile on his face when the gong hits even though his eyes are trying to sell shock.

• Like 1

I know it's a great honor and I guess an Inoki slap to get beat up by Taker and there's the WWE rule of old guys give the rub but still go over but it's pretty pathetic and ass-backwards to me. It also shows their wounded ego in having to truck out the old success stories in the face of any competition. 

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is there someone with a spooky gimmick in NXT Taker could have done a skit alongside? 

Not really. Joe Gacy would be the closest but he's really more cult-ish than supernatural. Plus he's seemingly off-air with a crisis of confidence after The Schism fell apart.

30 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is there someone with a spooky gimmick in NXT Taker could have done a skit alongside? 

The last people with actual spooky gimmicks in Alba Fyre & Isla Dawn moved up to the main roster as a part of the Draft.

56 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The last people with actual spooky gimmicks in Alba Fyre & Isla Dawn moved up to the main roster as a part of the Draft.

Speaking of which, we might actually not get a horror cinematic segment this year. Maybe we can get a Bron/Chucky segment.

5 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

Speaking of which, we might actually not get a horror cinematic segment this year. Maybe we can get a Bron/Chucky segment.

Didn't they already interact?  Thinking back, I remember a Chucky/Ilja segment and I'm pretty sure there was a Bron/Chucky segment.  It's only right given his dad's history.

5 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Didn't they already interact?  Thinking back, I remember a Chucky/Ilja segment and I'm pretty sure there was a Bron/Chucky segment.  It's only right given his dad's history.

You are correct. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzal0pjosc

I skipped the majority of the NXT 2.0 Era up until World's Collide which also has me very confused at what was going on with Ciampa's look back then.

6 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

You are correct. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzal0pjosc

I skipped the majority of the NXT 2.0 Era up until World's Collide which also has me very confused at what was going on with Ciampa's look back then.

I like how interchangeable Chucky and Heyman are in the two clips with them appearing from stage right while Bron is working out.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

It's relatable to how some people really feel about their situation. Not necessarily the kind of relatable that we wanna think about though.

Was it good or bad for Pillmanito that he wasn't in AEW once Christian began going after the dead dads?

Pillman was one of Christian’s first targets for the dead dad thing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's a weird WWE trope that if you're in a ring with a legend, regardless of what happens, you belong in the ring with that legend.    

Of course, as we all know, it usually ends with new guy/gal catching a beating, cf. the Wyatts at Mania, and the like 30 guys that have eaten stunners from Austin at big shows. But I guess the idea is, no one will remember how it ended, just that it happened.  Which... isn't the worst idea.  But certainly isn't the best.  

And yes, that was the best NXT crowd in a long ass time. It appeared that either a) the regulars were awake or b) they were replaced by actual legitimate fans.  Which reminds me...   they really gotta start touring again.  Even if it's just throughout Florida and the southeast.  Something to change the actual people in front of the performers. 

They're more of less back to doing the old coconut loop again roughly 2 weekends a month. They've used footage from it to advance angles on the NXT TV show.

Finally watched NXT.

The opening segment with Cody, Ilja, Dom, & Rhea was nice enough form what I caught. Happy to see all the tournaments announced. The setup to Dom/Ilja was not bad. Thought Cody was used generally well in his special GM roll the rest of the night. I suspect he always would have announced the Dust Classic though I wonder if AEW wasn't on the same night would he have stuck around beyond that.

Roxanne/Asuka was pretty nice while it lasted. You can't help but feel some disappointment in it being so short and not having that special presentation like Roxanne's matches with Meiko. Still, the two worked well together, and you can tell they can do much more with each other with more time. Shotzi was fine on commentary mostly getting out the announcements she normally would have done in a segment. Was nice to see her save Roxanne post match.

Brutes/Bate vs. Gallus was awesome. Just a great brawl with tons of constant action, a nice fight feel with a bit of unpredictability, and high energy all around. Everyone looked good here. Kind of surprised they didn't save it for Halloween Havok.

The Bron/Cena segment was alright.

Really dug the hype vid for Becky/Lyra. Tegan showing up in Lyra's interview right after and showing a bit of dickishness was nice. 

Ilja's & Dom's styles don't mesh as naturally as they do with others, but they built into a pretty solid and fun match all around. It was nice to see LA Knight try to call things down the middle and not make the match about himself. His presence here was only the slightest distracting because of his current hot streak with audience.  Still Dom and Ilja did a good job of keeping the focus and attention on them. The finish with Judgement Day involvement worked well. Pretty fun overall but definitely another match that probably should have been saved for a tv special. Then again I suppose that is what they treated this particular show as in the end.

Lola/Dani was short but nice while it lasted. The two are super athletic and use it well to create some interesting action. It will be even better when their characters/personalities catch up in a year's time.

The chase U segment was fun.

The little backstage segment with all the women giving Asuka respect was neat. Dug how Asuka was semi nervous about it save with Blair who gave her some comfort by speaking Japanese to her.

The Lexis King promo was pretty decent. I kind of like the idea of legacy wrestler trying to reject their legacy.

Bron/Melo III was eaisly the worst of their matches and still good. Was happy to see them try some new things to keep it different from the first two. Cena and Hyman kept their involvement to bare minimum, mostly serving as cheerleaders until the finish. The post match segment with Taker was fun as a payoff to Bron's Badass talk and Deadman sit ups from the past couple of months. Taker's speech giving Bron his props before the beatdown and subsequent advice also was nice to see.

A match or two less from NXT's norm, but ultimately still a good show all around with plenty of moving parts building to next week's show and Halloween Havok. The special guests didn't overtake everything like they easily could and most of the NXT roster came out looking fine in their interactions with them. I think one thing that helped is the acknowledgement that NXT is still very much development where future stars are growing. Bron/Melo, Ilja/Dom, and Gallus vs. Brutes/Bate were all worth catching, especially that last one. Could be recency bias, but the Pub Rules match felt like one of the better NXT tv matches this year.

Edited by Eivion

Just speculation but I wonder if WWE will move NXT back to the network? It would still be two hours.

Various Wrestling Newz sites reported that Raw doesn't have to be on Mondays anymore. I think it would be for the best to move the long-running show to another day. We are long past the days of the Monday nite ratings warz in the year of our lord Tam Nakano 2023. Then again maybe Raw stays on Monday, whatevero.

Chaco Classic was pretty much the best “tongue in cheek workaround” that they’ve used. So I’m guessing BPJ being “Brian Pillman Next Generation” like he’s a Japanese Indy worker wasn’t in the conversation. Of course the sad reality is that unless you were a fan 26 years ago, Brian Pillman is probably not a wellknown figure to you with how much happened in wrestling after 1997

Guessing Vince’s wound is too deep for a babyface that fires up every time someone falsely calls him Junior

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Spoiler for tonight's Smackdown 

Hide contents

While I may not be an avid watcher of the current WWE, I'm glad that SPOILER has found his way there while HHH collects all the former champions.

Edited by porksweats