DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

Eddie/Claudio was everything it should have been. I really thought they were going to have Eddie continue to be the guy who can't win the big one and drop the fall once again here and was pleasantly surprised when he finally got his moment.

I was surprised Mox/Fenix went so long and that Fenix ended up going over clean. Then again the ending made me wonder if they called an audible.

Jericho/Sammy was what it was. Good to see Sammy go full blown heel, though I have no interest in Jericho trying to be some kind of face after this.

Toni/Saraya was solid. I would much rather Toni be champ as she's a lot better, but her act is still heating up right now so she didn't need to win at the moment.

Main event was good and I was almost expecting Joe to win up until Cole came back out. Joe shaking MJF's hand after he cheated to win felt out of place though.

• Like 5

"You get an injury! And you get an injury! And YOU get an injury! EVERYONE GETS AN INJURY!!!"

Anyway. 

Eddie looked broke the fuck down. I mean yeah his selling is the best in the world but some of this was almost too much. Not the best match in either guy I think, but it served its purpose and they did the right thing. Opening with it spooked me though, me thinking they were gonna do the WRONG thing. 

Then Jericho and Sammy went out there and killed the crowd 😄 Didn't pay full attention but it seemed like every time I looked up they were doing a highspot. The finish was extremely final though, I just said "He dead" out loud. Callis actually waking the crowd back up was really funny. 

Mox may have gotten hurt on the very first spot because Fenix's leg definitely bounced his head off the floor. He seemed groggy but then would be back in it really good and then look off again. The responses to most of Fenix's spots by deflection were really nice. Fenix also told Psicosis "hold my beer" and sacrificed his tailbone to the wrestling gods so I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't come back to haunt him. 

Toni/Saraya was good, need to rewatch actually. 

Main was very much a Joe match with MJF just eating shit over and over until the ga-ga kicked in. The total of injuries in that match might have been three separate people. Ouch. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I loved this show but all I really want to talk about is how fucking useless and incompetent Bryce Remsburg and Rey Fenix are--Bryce for not counting three when the guy stays down, Fenix for whom "thinking on your feet" is picking up the guy you just rendered unconscious for real and dropping him on his fucking head again. Hopefully, at the very least, he drops the title next week (maybe back to Orange!!). 

Reminded me of two bad ones, what happened to Alex Reynolds especially and Matt Hardy when you have two unconscious wrestlers. Kudos to those who think on the fly the right way. Jon Moxley needs time off, he's really been going at it since he returned from rehab in January 2022.

• Like 3

Man what a cursed show as far as talent health.

Mox 100% got a concussion on that opening dive catch. No amount of working a concussion can give you the kind of movements he was having there. Then he pushed through and shook it off but that Driver rocked him. I have a feeling Fenix wasn't over and Mox called an audible and just hoped Knox would do the right thing. I would say almost never does a talent make that kind of decision on their own. But Mercedes did it at NJPW Strong, and AEW social gets those graphics up quick on title changes. Kingstons went up within 5 mins of the win. Nothing was posted for Fenix.

Then you got Cole probably breaking his foot or rolling hsi ankle jumping off the ramp and falling on his landing. Just limping around like ti was something pretty serious he was pushing through too. Punk broke his foot and worked a whole match with it going mostly unnoticed. This was considerably more visible than that. Hope Cole & Mox end up being alright. But damn.

Kingston and Claudio was dope. Much better than their ROH match. I also thought the women put something very good together and the crowd into that one. Sammy vs Jericho happened and I couldn't give less of a shit about that one. Let's hope Rampage doesn't continue the curse trend.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Yeah did Adam Cole mess up a leg jumping off the ramp? He had a noticeable limp after.

That's what it looked like, then Lamp said on the Discord "DID THE REF GET INJURED TOO?" which I missed. And then the med guy was on MJF at the end about his neck. Jesus! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I loved this show but all I really want to talk about is how fucking useless and incompetent Bryce Remsburg and Rey Fenix are--Bryce for not counting three when the guy stays down, Fenix for whom "thinking on your feet" is picking up the guy you just rendered unconscious for real and dropping him on his fucking head again. Hopefully, at the very least, he drops the title next week (maybe back to Orange!!). 

It was Rick Knox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

if some 80s promotion looking for a cheap way out of a finish had two referees like Bryce and Rick Knox who could kinda-sorta be confused for each other, they'd have a Dusty finish where the legal ref was confused for another ref. Not the Hogan/Andre evil twin thing, but more like the time that they held up the WWF title because the ref held up the hand of the wrong man postmatch (Backlund/Valentine)

• Like 2

Well I thought this was a very good show. Top to bottom it was stacked and it really did feel like a big show for once. 

Eddie vs. Claudio had a really big fight feel. I liked how they showed them walking to the ring from the backstage with their seconds. It was a good match. Solid back and forth action. So glad Eddie finally won the big one. 

Sammy vs. Jericho was good. Everything I expected out of a match from them two. Didn't expect the swerve after the match though with Callis. 

Moxley vs. Rey was all right. I missed the dive everyone is talking about, but it was clear Moxley was loopy from that point on. I'm convinced Mox got a stinger from that first driver he took. But call it stupidity or whatever he said do it again. I thought referees were always like "if you don't kick out I'm counting 1-2-3 regardless". Knox should have counted the three instead of them redoing the spot.

I loved Toni Storm's new intro. Taz got it wrong by calling it something from the 1920's. She's clearly a noir star of the 40's/50's. Anyway I thought the match was good with Saraya. I knew she wasn't losing so quick into her title run. I loved the shoe bit. Fun match and I hope its not the end for them.

MJF Vs. Joe was amazing. Joe dominated and MJF was perfect as a face in peril. Loved the ending with him choking out Joe. 

Overall a really good show. Not much to complain about and I hope Mox is ok. 

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

Somebody hurry up and book Eddie to win another championship so he can kinda sorta have his own version of the Triple Crown. Thank you, goodnight.

Actually if they do decide to hotshot the title off of Fenix, Kingston would be the perfect guy. Then you build to him having a showdown with Moxley when he returns (assuming Moxley is going to be out).

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I loved this show but all I really want to talk about is how fucking useless and incompetent [RICK KNOX] and Rey Fenix are--[KNOX] for not counting three when the guy stays down, Fenix for whom "thinking on your feet" is picking up the guy you just rendered unconscious for real and dropping him on his fucking head again. Hopefully, at the very least, he drops the title next week (maybe back to Orange!!). 

Knox was the worst part of the night. It was a great show, but I swear, Rick Knox has been the worst AEW ref since AEW started. Tonight was him at his worst. For fucks sake, read the room or the knocked out wrestler and count the 3 you fucking dummy.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So ... 

MJF gets the triple arm drop check.  And Joe just gets a fuckin half a glance?  

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

the ref checking if Joe's out from the sleeper

giphy.gif

Might not work with Joe but a different heel could play that up to keep their heat. Actually, Joe could go on a warpath or something because of it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Might not work with Joe but a different heel could play that up to keep their heat. Actually, Joe could go on a warpath or something because of it. 

this idea probably doesn't quite fit this promotion, but the next time Joe "is in the building" during a show, having him run out when he sees Bryce is refereeing a match to go after him over how the match finished

I guess, in theory, that could pivot into another feud if one of the people in the match took exception to Joe just trying to ruin things because he wanted to go after a referee

• Like 1