DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Got a LOT going on this month!   

This weekend:  WWE runs Payback and AEW goes All Out!  

Next weekend Impact rides to Victory Road!   Then runs their 1000th episode of TV!

A couple of weeks later... it's AEW doing Grand Slam (which builds to their new WrestleDream PPV on 10/1).

And finally...  even NXT gets a big show with No Mercy!   

Strap in folks!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And finally...  even NXT gets a big show with No Mercy!   

I get that people have a fondness for the old video game, but if they're gonna be using all this old IP for NXT shows, how do you not go Fall Brawl for September?! They even do Wargames now!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I prematurely pissed on TNA’s grave so many times on here, but Impact has now had 700+ more episodes than Nitro and 600 more than Hardcore TV. 

@(BP) Prematurely pissing on TNA's grave since 20**!" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I said it in another thread, but before they finally got their shit together (relatively), I was about to name their thread  "OH GOD, WHAT NOW?  - TNA 20xx"

Them making it this far is definitely quite the accomplishment. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anyone remember the 2016 TNA thread when it looked like the Harris brothers were going to buy the company? That thread was gold Jerry, GOLD!

I've gone back to some of the 2017 threads and cracked up at some of the reactions to what was going on then with Bruce Prichard coming in to reboot, Alberto el Patron, the one off Dutch Mantell appearance, etc.

2018 was a peak year when Callis & D'Amore took over.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Happy September everyone. When the final chapter of the book is written, what will the Nemeth Brothers contribution to professional wrestling be remembered as?

7xjzcf.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Is Nemeth going to make it?

A guy basically and minimally known as Dolph Zigglers weirdly similar looking brother and that guy whose bits get skipped on BTE.

Could his self flagellation, willingness to humiliate himself, and “loveable” loser gimmick slow burn him into getting over?  I’m sure his brother has Matt Cardonas phone number to get him some advice on how to make that happen.

I'm still on hiatus from these boards, but this is (to me anyway) too good not to share. Three wrestlers from Nepal: Himalayan Tiger, the first Nepalese pro wrestler, Unika, the first female wrestler from Nepal,and the staggeringly gorgeous Jureli, came to Osaka for the first time today. Cooger hosted the welcome party, and I along with my friends Kenji, Ji-sama, and Bodyguard,(and indy wrestler Moriya, from FUCK and AJPW and etc etc) were on the welcoming committee. It was fucking amazing. Cooger's friends and the Osaka Nepalese community coming together. Tiger, Unika, and  Jureli are big celebrities in Nepal but they are totally down to earth and I think it was mind-blowing for the Nepalese folks to just hang with them at a rooftop BBQ party. For my part, I bonded hard with Unika and Jureli. I hung out speaking English and Japanese with the Osaka natives and Nepalese immigrants. I had the time of my fucking life. 

How I wish DEAN were still with us. I bet he knew who these wrestlers are! If there's anywhere in the world where someone might know, it's surely here...

*puts up the secunda caida signal*

Gonna post, like, 20 pictures. Hang on, it'll take a while.

r6gvwaY.jpg

6yhcCwS.jpg

yjMr1I6.jpg

vnBDyWJ.jpg  D39jK7g.jpg   Tk9WcoP.jpg   oFFbVPx.jpg  sbzJAHo.jpg  cBSc60Q.jpg  8bAJaPQ.jpg   kkJL8VG.jpg  4lflHDW.jpg lNY4Gnn.jpgWNp8RPO.jpgXjsr4Qb.jpgFyYs1bA.jpg

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I'm still on hiatus frim these boards, but this is (to me anyway) too good not to share. Three wrestlers from Nepal: Himalayan Tiger, the first Nepalese pro wrestler, Unika, the first female wrestler from Nepal,and the staggeringly gorgeous Jureli, came to Osaka for the first time today. Cooger hosted the welcome party, and I along with my friends Kenji, Ji-sama, and Bodyguard,(and indy wrestler Moriya, from FUCK and AJPW and etc etc) were on the welcoming committee. It was fucking amazing. Cooger's friends and the Osaka Nepalese community coming together. Tiger, Unika, and  Jureli are big celebrities in Nepal but they are totally down to earth and I think it was mind-blowing for the Nepalese folks to just hang with them at a rooftop BBQ party. For my part, I bonded hard with Unika and Jureli. I hung out speaking English and Japanese with the Osaka natives and Nepalese immigrants. I had the time of my fucking life. 

How I wish DEAN were still with us. I bet he knew who these wrestlers are! If there's anywhere in the world where someone might know, it's surely here...

*puts up the secunda caida signal*

Gonna post, like, 20 pictures. Hang on, it'll take a while.

Good seeing you, mate. Don't be a stranger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given how horrific the prior week was, I got to thinking about something that happened recently on my 1994 rewatch and how something like this could never happened today. The WWF did a very well done and touching tribute to Joey Marella on all their syndicated shows like late August. However, they did it almost two months after he passed away cause he died coming back from the taping cycle that was going to start up almost three weeks after he passed. So he was literally on TV several weeks after he passed and the commentators said NOTHING. I believe that Gorilla may have even sat in on one of those shows as well so that means he had to watch his son on TV and record commentary for it. That had to be TOUGH.

People talk about WCW taping too far in advance, but goddamn that's something you don't even take into account.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Surprised there weren’t examples of taping 2 weeks of tv in the old days and someone dying before the next taping.

Ok, I had to make sure but WCCW aired David's match from the 2/3/84 tapings and announced his passing at the end of the show (airing 2/11/1984). He also beat Hayes on that same taping, but I am not sure it ever aired.