DVDVR Message Board

RIP The Funker

I was thinking about this last night, Terry had essentially been a part timer since 77 and he was still considered one of the greats.

He talks about it in his book. Vicki left him as he was NWA Champion and was on the road all the time and not home. Terry decided his family was more important than being Champion so he went home and stayed home. It’s why they sold Amarillo cuz it was consuming Terry, it’s why Terry left the WWF in 86 cuz his daughters wanted him home, his sick horse and all. I don’t think it’s why he retired from Japan I really think he thought he could live off of $10,000 that sounds very Terry Funk to me. But the man put his family first, he almost lost them cuz he didn’t put them first or you could say he did lose them cuz Vicki did divorce him. He got them back and never lost them again.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 6

Has anyone brought up the time to go into a fight with horse on Thunder?

The video I originally posted was taken down from YouTube so here’s the clipped version from WWE’s page still includes the horse

also here’s an excerpt from Bret Hart’s last match unless you count those matches from 2011

Edited by Web Conn
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Like with Dusty, it's bizarrely difficult to be sad at his passing because to think of Terry Funk is to, after that first moment of sorrow, be instantly entertained, remembering so many wonderful matches and moments that put a big a smile on your face today as the first time you saw them.

10/10 and it’s something that we all understand because we all have somebody like that in our real lives, like maybe and Uncle. And that right there explains Mick Foley calling him Uncle Terry all those years. He was that kind of a person in real life.

• Like 2

I’ve made the comment that I could watch fat hairy men punch each other in cadence with them stomping their right foot all day long. There’s just something charming about it. It’s this stuff they called pro rasslin.

Terry Funk, as good of a worker as he was, did that as time went on so he was 1 of those guys like he was 1 of everything else. On top of that though, I could watch him call people egg sucking dogs and chicken plucking suckers all day long. There was just something about his G rating envelope pushing insults and that was just his normal promos. When he actually got fired up and did his rage crying thing, like at Wrestlewar or in the promo leading up to the Lawler match, there was a whole other level. 

Another quality that he had was something that very few wrestlers have, but it’s 1 that makes them the greatest. No matter where he went, he was Terry Funk. This territory? That territory? This country? This national promotion? And I don’t just mean what they called him. I mean how he walked in and out of wherever he was like he walked in and out of Texas, calling them egg sucking dogs and oinking at them. The time they tried to make him not be Terry Funk, which wasn’t all that unheard of of and idea with a guy like him looking to change with the times atleast a little bit, it just made him more like Terry Funk. I’m talking about Chainsaw Charlie of course. Other guys who had this quality were Jerry Lawler, Ric Flair, Sabu, and Randy Savage. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tq53L15B0Jc?si=ysMtspVOxm4eFQKX" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Something is broken here and I have no control over this.

Edited by Travis Sheldon
  • Like 1

Terry Funk was “over the hill” (his words), “middle aged and crazy” virtually my entire life.

Im now middle aged and its hard to process living in a world where Terry won’t pop up in a cameo to put heat on an angle anymore. That night before Rumble 97 Shotgun Saturday night from San Antonio (with a young and hungry Stone Cold on color) was fantastic TV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

The time they tried to make him not be Terry Funk, which wasn’t all that unheard of of and idea with a guy like him looking to change with the times atleast a little bit, it just made him more like Terry Funk. I’m talking about Chainsaw Charlie of course.

As he told it in his book, Chainsaw Charlie was his idea; they asked him if he wanted to come out as Terry Funk or something else and he made that silly shit up on the spot. Maybe he was subconsciously thinking "I'm working for New York again, let's do a gimmick". He admitted it was a bad idea, like him dumping oil on his head in that promo posted above, which did NOT want to come off his body haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

a young and hungry Stone Cold on color

Ah, that just reminds me of my favorite Raw ever, headlined by Terry vs. "Mick Foley" in a falls count anywhere match with Austin at the desk. Riot of a match with Terry busting out a moonsault off the balcony! Steve's line "beat some ass and go to the beer store" is tops. (Here is part one, you know what to do)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8eakz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Terry Funk was “over the hill” (his words), “middle aged and crazy” virtually my entire life.

Im now middle aged and it’s hard to process living in a world where Terry won’t pop up in a cameo to put heat on an angle anymore. That night before Rumble 97 Shotgun Saturday night from San Antonio (with a young and hungry Stone Cold on color) was fantastic TV.

Has the exchange between him and Dreamer on Raw before ONS been posted? I haven’t seen that since but I remember thinking it was pretty dang great. I know it was kind of a copycat of another old promo but it was done for a reason and it worked.

Foley* not Dreamer wtf 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Thanks 1

I had only seen the Flair series, which I adore, until yesterday. Since then, I've been going through old matches and promos of Terry's recommended on here and PWO. By all accounts, he seemed like a class act and a one of a kind. Terry's the type of guy who'll bust out an Asai moonsault in a 4-minute RAW match with Mark Henry just because he can. R.I.P. Terry Funk. 

Someone on YouTube created a 300+ video playlist covering Funk's career in chronological order. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnbpvHOWGsqM3Z_o2OfvrQEtEsnEdNwKp

Edited by Corwo
  • Like 4

I've been trying to put my thoughts together about Terry Funk and I'm having a hard time thinking of something other than, "he might be the best ever."  So, I'll say this.  I don't think there is a single moment in my life where Terry Funk was on a screen that I was in a bad mood.  Terry Funk is on the shortlist with breasts and ice cream, where I don't give a damn what else is going on, these things will always make it better for as long as they are around.  Quick story, I was at the Summerslam that was in Brooklyn a few years back.  Me and my friends go to the bar to get an overpriced drink.  As soon as I get there a very attractive girl walks up, and I look down and she's wearing a Terry Funk t-shirt.  In my half-drunk ass mind, I legitimately thought, "This woman may very well be my soulmate."  I immediately got into Mr. GQ mode and said, "That's a dope t-shirt."  She looked at me, smiled and said, "I don't even know who that is, my boyfriend got it for me."  I legitimately went from being instantly in love to a little disgusted in about 23 seconds.  When I thought she liked Terry Funk, I was all about her, when she didn't even know who Terry Funk was, I couldn't have been less interested.  I mean, I'm pretty sure I've never dated a woman who gave a damn who Terry Funk was, but they weren't out here being posers wearing his t-shirt.  That has to be the worst case of false advertising I've ever encountered.  My best friend still gives me shit about the time I saw a girl in a Terry Funk t-shirt and just assumed we would soon be married.  He swears I was like Ralph Wiggum in that episode where Lisa breaks up with him on television and you could see the exact moment where his heart broke.  Basically, I'm saying that I like Terry Funk enough that I saw a woman wearing a Terry Funk t-shirt and just assumed it was a sign from God that she was the woman for me and was caught off guard when it wasn't the case.  After typing that, I'm convinced that I might be a crazy person.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

On 8/23/2023 at 7:31 PM, Ace said:

The first non-WWF wrestling show I saw was WCW, right after Flair won the title back from Steamboat and Funk piledrove him through a table. I was hooked ever since.

R.I.P. to the best to ever do it.

The first wrestling show I ever went to was a houseshow in Tallahassee, that I’ve actually seen pictures of through the years online. Ric Flair vs Terry Funk was the main event. It was right slam in the middle of all that. Man what a show. The whole show was great. Sting/Muta, Luger/Tommy, Southern Boys/Freebirds, and Pillman and The Z Man each wrestled twice. Hot dang it was great.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I've been trying to put my thoughts together about Terry Funk and I'm having a hard time thinking of something other than, "he might be the best ever."  So, I'll say this.  I don't think there is a single moment in my life where Terry Funk was on a screen that I was in a bad mood.  Terry Funk is on the shortlist with breasts and ice cream, where I don't give a damn what else is going on, these things will always make it better for as long as they are around.  Quick story, I was at the Summerslam that was in Brooklyn a few years back.  Me and my friends go to the bar to get an overpriced drink.  As soon as I get there a very attractive girl walks up, and I look down and she's wearing a Terry Funk t-shirt.  In my half-drunk ass mind, I legitimately thought, "This woman may very well be my soulmate."  I immediately got into Mr. GQ mode and said, "That's a dope t-shirt."  She looked at me, smiled and said, "I don't even know who that is, my boyfriend got it for me."  I legitimately went from being instantly in love to a little disgusted in about 23 seconds.  When I thought she liked Terry Funk, I was all about her, when she didn't even know who Terry Funk was, I couldn't have been less interested.  I mean, I'm pretty sure I've never dated a woman who gave a damn who Terry Funk was, but they weren't out here being posers wearing his t-shirt.  That has to be the worst case of false advertising I've ever encountered.  My best friend still gives me shit about the time I saw a girl in a Terry Funk t-shirt and just assumed we would soon be married.  He swears I was like Ralph Wiggum in that episode where Lisa breaks up with him on television and you could see the exact moment where his heart broke.  Basically, I'm saying that I like Terry Funk enough that I saw a woman wearing a Terry Funk t-shirt and just assumed it was a sign from God that she was the woman for me and was caught off guard when it wasn't the case.  After typing that, I'm convinced that I might be a crazy person.  

That’s so not crazy. It’s typical lol! If only girls were spotted in our favorite wrestler’s shirts more often it’d be obvious. It’s hard enough to find 1 in our favorite football player’s shirt.

Is the guy who used to talk about the time Terry Funk remembered him at the convention still around? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Great ML said:

Wasn’t it something about staying out of jail, or some such? I recall a board member years ago talking about it.

Yep he signed the autograph and said stay out of jail kid. Then the next time he said you staying out of jail kid?

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Is the guy who used to talk about the time Terry Funk remembered him at the convention still around? 

yeah Bix reposted his article about that in a tweet

but this being Terry Funk, i'm not ruling out that multiple forum members have similar stories since that was apparently a Terry Funk line

During the Chainsaw Charlie days, my friends and I were driving up to Vancouver BC from Seattle to go to a WWE house show. As we cross the border, one of my friends starts frantically yelling at me to pull over so I do. He says he saw Mick Foley and Terry Funk go into one of the customs offices. We go inside and I hang back a bit because they were being delayed crossing the border (presumably because they had a barbwire bat and chainsaw in the trunk of their car lol). Anyway after several minutes, they finally turn around to leave. I don't wanna bug them because they've just been dealing with customs and are no doubt stressed out. My friend has no problem bugging them and approaches both to ask for an autograph. By this point it was pretty well known Foley was a nice guy IRL but I have to admit to being somewhat surprised when Terry Funk flashed the warmest, brightest smile I had seen in years and put his arm around my friends shoulder while Foley signed the autograph. This was pre-smart phone, the internet wasn't near the behemoth it is now. Both guys could have blown him off or even been rude and hardly anyone would ever have heard about it. 

• Like 5