DVDVR Message Board

All Out V - 9/3/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I believe the timeline is:

• Cody takes Meltzer's bet, and he and the Bucks try to persuade ROH to run a 10,000 seat building. ROH refuse.
  • So they ask if they can run it themselves, with ROH's blessing, ROH agrees.
  • They book the building and schedule the show for August 2018 (Cody, Hangman and the Bucks' ROH contracts expire December 31st 2018; Kenny's NJPW contract expires January 31st 2019)
  • Tickets go on sale and sell out immediately, months before the card is announced or the show takes place.
  • Tony Khan contacts them with a business proposal
  • The show happens... Chris Jericho does a surprise run-in dressed as Pentagon Junior, then performs at a Fozzy show in Texas the same night. He achieves this by flying out on a private jet. Tony Khan's private jet.
  • On BTE, they start having vignettes of them having countdown clocks on their phones, and them getting The Money Shakes
  • On the Jericho Cruise in November 2018, the Elite appear on Talk is Jericho Live. Asked who they consider to be Elite, one of the Jacksons says "I think we're all Elite, Chris"
  • 2018 ends, and Double or Nothing 2019 is announced (as is AEW)

So yeah. It does make you wonder what would have happened if TK had bought ROH in 2018, instead of creating AEW and then buying the remains of ROH two and a half years later.

• Like 3

The entirety of the promotion and all of the social media posts from Cody & The Bucks at the time were very forthright about how this was a show coming out of their own pockets. It was a giant risk with no promise of return on investment. They were going All In and putting their own money where their mouth was in response to Meltzer's tweet. They did countless videos and vlogs talking about this being their first experience booking talent and juggling budgets and securing deals for the Zero Hour to be on WGN.

It was in no way funded by Ring of Honor. They hired ROH's filming & production crew and were allowed to use ROH theme musics, that's it. Somehow in the details of that, ROH negotiated to own the event footage & rights. Which my point is, even if Cody & The Bucks signed off on that to get ROH's production, I think that's a shady and unethical thing for ROH to demand.

• Like 2

OK, got it. you just disagree with the deal. that's completely fine, but doesn't mean that ROH was "jealous" of the success of All In, or that ROH used deceit to "take ownership".

All In was built off the infrastructure of ROH. the building was booked by ROH and they handled the ticketing (https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1171549/former-roh-employee-recalls-booking-all-in-venue-for-the-elite/). the film & production duties were handled by ROH (https://www.thesportster.com/things-fans-should-know-about-roh-all-in-ppv/#roh-production-ran-event). i can only assume that they used the ROH trucks to transport the ring, set, and etc. Cody and Bucks were under ROH contract, which would typically prohibit something like 'creating a competing wrestling product'. 

if ROH owning the name and footage was part of the deal that Cody & the Bucks agreed to (or maybe that WAS the payment?), then why are you holding a grudge about it 5 years later? I've never heard any of the three of them complain about it. Just seems like a completely stupid thing to bring up and imply that ROH were "dicks just to be dicks". Seems like ROH had a pretty heavy hand in the event as a whole. 

• Like 1

As stated I find it unethical. Those three went out and did something that company couldn't do for themselves. All In outdrew what ROH could draw. All In pulled in more ppv buys than ROH could at the time. All In made more waves and buzz than ROH ever did. It's pretty simple. Im always a bit taken aback when people side with the big companies taking credit for something they had no part in. If ROH wanted to own something like All In they should have put the work in to make one happen. Not take someone else's accomplishment and just slap their little (TM) after it.

You are free to disagree with me on it. But stop acting like what I'm saying is some foreign concept with no basis.

Also I have no idea how The Bucks or Cody feel about this subject one way or the other. My view point isn't predicated on what their viewpoint is tho. Even if they were totally fine with it I still find it unethical.

10 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

As stated I find it unethical. Those three went out and did something that company couldn't do for themselves. All In outdrew what ROH could draw. All In pulled in more ppv buys than ROH could at the time. All In made more waves and buzz than ROH ever did. It's pretty simple. Im always a bit taken aback when people side with the big companies taking credit for something they had no part in. If ROH wanted to own something like All In they should have put the work in to make one happen. Not take someone else's accomplishment and just slap their little (TM) after it.

You are free to disagree with me on it. But stop acting like what I'm saying is some foreign concept with no basis.

Also I have no idea how The Bucks or Cody feel about this subject one way or the other. My view point isn't predicated on what their viewpoint is tho. Even if they were totally fine with it I still find it unethical.

I know your entire gimmick is uninformed contrarian hot takes because you like to start arguments, but come on

mlpOrD.gif

Edited by Dolphman 3000

The only gimmick I have is stating my opinions and trying to back them up. On the other hand there's at least 2-3 posts a day you post that make me say out loud holy fucking shit that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this board.

Let's not forget you argued that right of first refusal means WCW had to say no to the $60million dollar offer on the table from Fusient Media because WWE offered $2.5 million instead over in the Dark Side thread. So I guess I'll just defer to your superior intelligence and walk away in shame 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The only gimmick I have is stating my opinions and trying to back them up. On the other hand there's at least 2-3 posts a day you post that make me say out loud holy fucking shit that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this board.

Let's not forget you argued that right of first refusal means WCW had to say no to the $60million dollar offer on the table from Fusient Media because WWE offered $2.5 million instead over in the Dark Side thread. So I guess I'll just defer to your superior intelligence and walk away in shame 🙄

I know when to take the L and leave

I suggest you learn to do the same

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Imagine my confusion the first time I read it and mistakenly thought they wanted him for the London show.

Wonder if TK will invite any Fulham players. They are only playing Arsenal, so no major travel for them. (Insert joke about how long it takes to get across London.) 

At All Out, they should have Scottie Pippen make an appearance, but then Team Jarrett shows up with Michael Jordan’s son and Scottie’s ex-wife (who are dating) and they heel on him until some babyface makes the save. 

On 8/25/2023 at 8:01 PM, tbarrie said:

Is Shaq even still alive in AEW continuity? His last appearance ended ambiguously.

When they hired Big Show I assumed the only reason was to do a match with Shaq, but it’s been almost three years now and I have no idea why they hired Big Show