DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

GET OFFA MY LAWN~!

Facts.  Timbuktu has the second best crab cakes behind Jerry's.  Koko's is also awesome.. 

Jimmy's crab cakes have too much breading for my liking.  Their clam fritters are fucking sensational, though.

It's Koko's. And my mother. Maybe in that order.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, YouHaveUntil5 said:

The only thing that I really want out of all of this is to hear Tony Khan strip CM Punk of the real world title even though it’s not recognized, after allowing him to carry it around and defend it like it was real for two months. 

video-distort it every time Punk shows up on TV with it in the interim and I'm on board

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Maybe just fire CM Punk and Jack Perry? I just don't know what the solution is here unless Tony Khan grows a spine, which is something he's proven he has no interest in doing where this is concerned.

I mean, have they pulled all the monitors off Tony yet?

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Maybe just fire CM Punk and Jack Perry? I just don't know what the solution is here unless Tony Khan grows a spine, which is something he's proven he has no interest in doing where this is concerned.

Apparently WBD really wants Punk around and TK is trying to get a new deal but yes, let’s just keep this “spineless, out of his depth money mark” narrative going because people coming to AEW threads with the same tired spiel over and over has never ended badly for them.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I don't think many are going to agree with my opinion on this but I'm gonna give it anyway.

This is pro wrestling. Stop treating this like working in an office. Now Brawl Out was an employee publicly degrading executives, the company, and escalating it into a physical confrontation with thrown chairs broken dog teeth and biting in front of AEW's legal department. That deserved suspensions and investigations. This situation, does not.

This is a business full of physicality. Where on accident with no malice from someone you actually like you can have bones broken. This isn't selling insurance. This isn't stocking shelves at Target. Egos and adrenaline and politics and testosterone. Sometimes there's gonna be scuffles. And this is the literal definition of being over blown. Neither one should be suspended. Neither one should miss a PPV.

Sit them down and tell Punk if you're in another physical confrontation, whether you instigated it or not you arre getting a mandatory 6 month suspension without pay (and time added onto your deal for it). Then tell Jungleboy if you're involved in another incident you're getting released. To me Jungleboy purposely went angling for this confrontation. So he gets the harsher consequences.

But this one is so over blown. You don't want a working environment where you have to fear getting in a fight every day you show up. I get that. But not every little transgression needs a six month audit with legal. Their whole ass job is fake fighting that isn't as fake as it's made out to be. Of course there's gonna be some fights. Quit acting like every one needs to be this super scrutinized and investigated corporate HR dramatization.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

[...]because people coming to AEW threads with the same tired spiel over and over has never ended badly for them.  

Wait, is there a risk of being banned for repeatedly pointing out that Luchasaurus is a God-damned dinosaur who knows lucha libre?

Because if so, I intend to go down swinging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't think many are going to agree with my opinion on this but I'm gonna give it anyway.

This is pro wrestling. Stop treating this like working in an office. Now Brawl Out was an employee publicly degrading executives, the company, and escalating it into a physical confrontation with thrown chairs broken dog teeth and biting in front of AEW's legal department. That deserved suspensions and investigations. This situation, does not.

This is a business full of physicality. Where on accident with no malice from someone you actually like you can have bones broken. This isn't selling insurance. This isn't stocking shelves at Target. Egos and adrenaline and politics and testosterone. Sometimes there's gonna be scuffles. And this is the literal definition of being over blown. Neither one should be suspended. Neither one should miss a PPV.

Sit them down and tell Punk if you're in another physical confrontation, whether you instigated it or not you arre getting a mandatory 6 month suspension without pay (and time added onto your deal for it). Then tell Jungleboy if you're involved in another incident you're getting released. To me Jungleboy purposely went angling for this confrontation. So he gets the harsher consequences.

But this one is so over blown. You don't want a working environment where you have to fear getting in a fight every day you show up. I get that. But not every little transgression needs a six month audit with legal. Their whole ass job is fake fighting that isn't as fake as it's made out to be. Of course there's gonna be some fights. Quit acting like every one needs to be this super scrutinized and investigated corporate HR dramatization.

I disagree.  “It’s pro wrestling; we can’t treat this like a real job” is the reason so much horrible shit has happened behind the scenes throughout this business’ history.  It’s a shield for exploitation.  It’s the reason none of these guys have a union or insurance.  AEW having actual HR and Legal departments that do more than just shield their boss from sexual harassment suits and figure out who to fire every Spring is a win and suggesting wrestling should continue to be run like a lawless pirate ship is just romanticizing the gutter.  You are ostensibly a worker and I’m a middle manager, so of course we’d have this argument.  But fuck, let’s treat these people like human beings with rights who are just trying to get paid for their work instead of believing their differences should just be settled via Kumite.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Sit them down and tell Punk if you're in another physical confrontation, whether you instigated it or not you arre getting a mandatory 6 month suspension without pay (and time added onto your deal for it).

This stipulation feels like an invitation for the Alliance to End Punkamania to get together and draw straws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Apparently WBD really wants Punk around and TK is trying to get a new deal but yes, let’s just keep this “spineless, out of his depth money mark” narrative going because people coming to AEW threads with the same tired spiel over and over has never ended badly for them.  

Appeasing Punk and letting him call the shots on Collision has already blown up in their faces. 

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Appeasing Punk and letting him call the shots on Collision has already blown up in their faces. 

Blown up in their faces with great wrestling. Jungle Boy gets yelled at? Namath who had dumb sketches which were key to me no longer watching BTE being sent home or something? Elton John theme song? All upside if you ask me.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

Blown up in their faces with great wrestling. Jungle Boy gets yelled at? Namath who had dumb sketches which were key to me no longer watching BTE being sent home or something? Elton John theme song? All upside if you ask me.

More like the current shitshow they find themselves in about to run three live shows in Chicago without their top Chicago draw and the guy they built Collision around. Oh you know, the guy WBD wants kept around and Tony Khan wants around for his next TV deal. 

Just now, TheVileOne said:

More like the current shitshow they find themselves in about to run three live shows in Chicago without their top Chicago draw and the guy they built Collision around. Oh you know, the guy WBD wants kept around and Tony Khan wants around for his next TV deal. 

He’s only off the show because they suspended him. If they rewarded him, he’d be in a better mood and they wouldn’t have so many fights. Less negativity and more structural positive reinforcement. “Punk, it makes me feel sad when I see Jungle Boy being choked out. Great form though, try that in a match, bud” “Jungle Boy, it makes me feel sad when I see my company and management being mocked on the television show I pay the wrestlers to be on. But good fire, use that in your next promo, pal.” Bam, everyone is friends!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Wait, is there a risk of being banned for repeatedly pointing out that Luchasaurus is a God-damned dinosaur who knows lucha libre?

Because if so, I intend to go down swinging.

Lol I said it to make a point about the merch stuff. But everything @Octopussaid about the subject is also true. People love to look at TV ratings as though they're still the sole, more relevant metric that they used to be, but I still think in this day and age there's something to be said for those micro scale things like having at least a small amount of merchandise in brick and mortar stores. Maybe PWTees is more cost effective in the short term, but I'd almost consider it part of the ad budget to have a couple of designs for top stars if they could get them in a couple of retailers. The marketing for that video game, as an example, was absolutely atrocious. Perhaps that was by design because it was less than stellar, or it was over budget as rumored- but there should have still been at least a small display at retail. This is all probably more well suited for the AEW/ROH Ratings, Finance, etc. thread, but I brought all this up earlier because it's just one of many things that should still be in a mode of aggressive growth (like ticket sales, expanding to more new markets, and yes the dreaded TV numbers) and it's hard not to notice where and when some of these negative trends began. If there's going to be a third (public, I stress) strike extended to Punk, that's fine - but if I'm TK I'm getting feelers out to as many big free agents as possible (if that's such a thing anymore) and I'm preparing to get behind my women in earnest to start building this thing around Sasha Banks and moving on from this shit

• Thanks 1