DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/19 - 7/24/2023

Dolfan in NYC

It's time for BLOOD AND GUTS!  Teams of five... strive to survive!   Literally!

Also, that coward HOOK will finally face Gentleman Jack Perry and put his FTW title on the line.

And finally, the finals of the Blind Tag Tournament! 

...they're losing and double turning, aren't they.  

Alright, let's get this week started.

• Like 1

Blood and Guts 3 tomorrow UK time. Hoping the third time is the charm and keep the action inside the cage. There's only one or two times I've ever liked it. Kota Ibushi makes his AEW debut.

Keep MJF and Adam Cole together. One of the very few times I've found Adam Cole tolerable. Hope we get a subversion of the trope and it's Cole who attacks MJF. We've been here before with MJF: Cody, Jericho, Guevara and now Cole.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I know this is digging up an old segment, but.....did we ever find out the reason for the Luchasaurus double turn? Mainly, what did Christian tell him to convince him to come back? I could have sworn he whispered something in his ear that one time. Loose ends like that bother me.

We're still missing a women's match but there is a Dynamite tonight. I only like 4 out of the ten guys in the Blood and Guts match so I'm exactly looking forward to it. My gut is that it's going to go very long to counter the tag match on Collision which, in this case, probably means a whole lot of guys getting their shit in. I'm going to watch it on 2x Speed tomorrow as opposed to watching an AWA tag cage match or anything.

HOOK vs Jungle Boy is really the start of a story. I can't imagine Jungle Boy not winning the belt but I'm curious how it happens and if anyone else gets involved.

The tag match should be great fun but not nearly as fun as it would have been if it was Darby/Cassidy on the other side. Hopefully they got the memo and don't pull the trigger on a betrayal yet. I'm happy to see either team against FTR regardless though.

I'm more excited for Rampage with Royal Rampage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

HOOK vs Jungle Boy is really the start of a story. I can't imagine Jungle Boy not winning the belt but I'm curious how it happens and if anyone else gets involved.

I'm about to be ridiculously house poor so can't make a bet, but would not be the least bit surprised if its Christian helping him win.

Edited by JLowe

30 minutes ago, Log said:

I kind of think that tonight, MJF and Cole continue to gel, but instead its Garcia and Sammy that fall apart. I think you have to see the Cole/MJF thing through to the title match.

Agreed.

All In/All Out will be a bit of a conundrum when it comes to not shortchanging either, even with the potential of Punk being a heel in one setting and a face in the other allowing them to maybe redo matches. You need some sense of conclusion at All In while still building to All Out.

One possibility I see at this point is Cole and MJF defending the AEW titles against a reunited Omega and Page at All In ahead of a somehow mandated AEW Title match that they can't get out of between the two of them at All Out. That's playing the "hot hand" as far as humanly possible right now. You get the finality of the Omega/Page story, the end of the MJF/Cole team, the intrigue of which will betray the other, and it will feel like both a big deal and an "Only in AEW is this Possible" sort of deal with a lot of throughlines that have been building for a while.

Or they can just blow up the team tonight, whatever.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

One possibility I see at this point is Cole and MJF defending the AEW titles against a reunited Omega and Page at All In ahead of a somehow mandated AEW Title match that they can't get out of between the two of them at All Out. That's playing the "hot hand" as far as humanly possible right now. You get the finality of the Omega/Page story, the end of the MJF/Cole team, the intrigue of which will betray the other, and it will feel like both a big deal and an "Only in AEW is this Possible" sort of deal with a lot of throughlines that have been building for a while.

Excellent path you've laid out there, and I'm kinda going to be disappointed if we get anything less now. Generally speaking, 'tag partners who don't get along' was beaten to death so much as a trope over the years, that I think your idea might be one of very, very few remaining ways to do it that wouldn't be 'too Stamford' for me. As soon as they had the 'Better Than You Bay Bay' shirt, I was reminded of that Styles/Jericho 'Y2AJ' shirt which got a nice ~2 week run

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

I'm about to be ridiculously house poor so can't make a bet, but would not be the least bit surprised if its Christian helping him win.

There's enough story there for them to put some meat on the bones of it. 

Hook & Wardlow vs Luchasaurus and Jack Perry would butter my crumpet too. I just want some Christian singles matches though 😭

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I hope MJF and Cole stay together, and their World title match only happens because MJF lost a friendly video game bet during a Mario Party session or something.

given how much Mario Party cheats, this is a good choice.

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:

Hook & Wardlow vs Luchasaurus and Jack Perry would butter my crumpet too. I just want some Christian singles matches though 😭

"There's Marko Stunt! But whose side is he on?"

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

All In/All Out will be a bit of a conundrum when it comes to not shortchanging either, even with the potential of Punk being a heel in one setting and a face in the other allowing them to maybe redo matches. You need some sense of conclusion at All In while still building to All Out.

Or they can just blow up the team tonight, whatever.

While this sounds appealing, I think there's a fan expectation of a big Omega singles match for Wembley that they might be unwise to stray from. 

This could fit in several places on these boards, but will probably get the most eyes here - Samoa Joe is the guest on tomorrow's episode of Doughboys! AND they're reviewing Taco Bell yet again 🤣

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

While this sounds appealing, I think there's a fan expectation of a big Omega singles match for Wembley that they might be unwise to stray from. 

Here are the results from the DVDVR WWF 80s set. Note that so many more matches have become available since then.

1    Sgt Slaughter vs Iron Sheik  
2    Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage   
3    Adrian Adonis/Dick Murdoch vs Brisco Brothers

When these first got released I was kind of resentful of the list, because Adonis/Murdoch vs Brisco Brothers feels like a match that just happened in WWF, not like it's a WWF match.

Omega vs Ospreay III is a match that would just happen to occur in AEW.

Page/Omega vs MJF/Cole feels like the most AEW match that could AEW.

Repeatedly, people say that the most iconic AEW match ever is Page/Omega vs Bucks. Going back to the Page/Omega well in this way as part of this storyline for the biggest AEW show ever feels like the sort of thing the dorkiest of AEW dorks would absolutely eat up.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

I'm pretty sure there's more money to be made with MJF and Cole as friends than enemies at this point. I don't care what the original plan was, you have to keep them together. You can still do an Eddie/Batista kind of title match between them at some point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

I'm pretty sure there's more money to be made with MJF and Cole as friends than enemies at this point. I don't care what the original plan was, you have to keep them together. You can still do an Eddie/Batista kind of title match between them at some point.

It's definitely the best use for Adam Cole at this point. But the problem is not that there's any need for an MJF/Cole title match; it's that they've invested a lot of narrative capital into MJF's "reign of terror" and the question of who's going to end it. I don't see any way they can leave MJF a face for more than a few weeks.