DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 7/10 - 7/16/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Imperium vs. Drew/Riddle was solid. Hopefully they aren't leading towards Vinci getting kicked.

Saw the segments in the first hour, but then my DVR went screwy and I missed all of the second hour. luckily I was able to at least catch the last third.

Ciampa/Miz was good. Was nice seeing the crowd get behind the match as it went on. The finish with Reed was unexpected but a nice callback to how Reed debuted with him clearly being paid off by Miz.

Sonya/Chelsea vs. the KCs was too short to be much but had its moments. Enjoyed the segment right before it more. They are doing well to set up Raquel and Liv getting in Rhea's way. 

Seth/Sami/KO vs. Judgement Day had a lot of solid wrestling though everyone but Dom and KO felt a bit off at various moments as well. Was weird consideirn ghow good they all usually look. Was happy to see JD pick up the victory along with Finn & Priest reconciling for now.

46 minutes ago, Peck said:

Rhea grabs Sami's leg AS THE REFEREE LOOKS RIGHT AT IT and that's not a DQ?  At least set up the spot so the ref is distracted or something. Holy Christ. 

That was weird since it usually leads to the ref throwing out whoever interferes. Not sure why they didn't do that.

Last week's SmackDown draws a big rating. Meltzer:

The Smackdown rating on Friday of 2,561,000 viewers and 0.76 in 18-49 could be a first time in history. The ratings for Saturday and Sunday won't be in until tomorrow, but from Monday through Friday, Smackdown's 0.76 ranked first for the week on network television. As far as I know, there has never been a week where a pro wrestling show was first of the week on network television. Last week came from close to being the first. But never in the early 50s (when wrestling was top ten in network prime time for a season) do we know of a time when that happened, and it never happened in the Hogan era or the Austin era.

The second quarter of the show did 3,070,000 viewers and an 0.94 in 18-49, which was the Bloodline segment after the commercial break. I thought the segment was an all-time classic. The performances from all involved were great and they set up a ton for the future as well. While not officially announced, as we've reported, Reigns vs. Jey is the scheduled SummerSlam main event.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Rhea grabs Sami's leg AS THE REFEREE LOOKS RIGHT AT IT and that's not a DQ?  At least set up the spot so the ref is distracted or something. Holy Christ. 

That's entirely on the ref.  He should know his cue is to be checking on Finn or yelling at Priest, or making sure his shirt is tucked in or whatever, just not looking there.  I know in the past, they've had the authority to run a legit shoot DQ if someone fucks something up bad enough.  Judging from his reaction, he realizes he fucked up badly and was actively trying to cover.  

• Like 3

BACKSTAGE DISSENSION~! after the Main Event.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/173113/argument-backstage-at-raw-after-main-event.html?p=1

There was an argument backstage following Monday Night Raw involving members of the six man tag main event between The Judgment Day vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn & Seth Rollins, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources.

We are told the brunt of the issue was how the match went as there were apparently some spots that didn't go as initially planned and were "clunky" with two sources placing the blame on the fact that aspects of the match were changed "at the last literal second" and one source placing the blame on one talent who they didn't want to name to "not make the Internet go insane."

We are told that after Finn Balor pinned Sami Zayn and everyone returned to the gorilla position backstage, an argument began borne out of the frustration over how the match went but was never in danger of getting physical. 

The situation finally petered out but we are told that many involved weren't happy with the situation. 

It was seen as "one of those nights" where things just didn't click and since there were so many people involved who care about their job and performances, emotions ran high because of those frustrations.

• Sad 1

EDIT: I misread the original post and thought the SmackDown rating was for highest-rated show of the weekend and not the week. I'm going to edit what my post was and admit I was wrong about all the qualifiers.

This is a huge win for the WWE to be able to say they had the highest-rated show of all TV over the week. But not necessarily as much for the Bloodline saga specifically as it is for what the company has accomplished.

In the Hogan era, and I could be wrong here, the WWE's only network show was Saturday Night's Main Event, which ran during the SNL slot (11:30 PM). At that time slot, it could've never achieved what SmackDown did.

In the Austin/Attitude Era, the WWE's flagship show was on cable on Mondays and SmackDown was on the weakest of the networks.

This ratings victory here shows just how far the WWE has come along even since its 90s peak, though, I still think there are some caveats to consider: everything else on network TV is in summer reruns (with some summer shows having their production curtailed by the writers strike), the NBA season is over, MLB coverage is spread over so many different channels and platforms that it splinters the audience, there's no pre-season NFL yet, no Olympics, and we're still a few weeks/months away from the next election cycle really heating up in terms of TV coverage. Still, a win is a win. 

Edited by DMJ

13 minutes ago, Peck said:

and one source placing the blame on one talent who they didn't want to name to "not make the Internet go insane."

I'll take "How Do You Say Dominick Mysterio, without saying Dominick Mysterio" for $600, Alex.

50 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'll take "How Do You Say Dominick Mysterio, without saying Dominick Mysterio" for $600, Alex.

My thought was Sami just because he has a habit of riling people up.

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My thought was Sami just because he has a habit of riling people up.

Yeah, Finn was moderately off on some stuff and Sami's a noted perfectionist, wrong-way-rubber, and would be the most likely guy to "blow up the internet" if he was named.

As I noted before Dom was oddly enough the one guy who seemed to not really mess anything up aside from maybe KO. I doubt anyone is afraid to call out Dom. He is young and probably looking for such criticisms so he can be better. 

Edited by Eivion

Changing stuff at the last minute has been known to be Sami’s m.o. for a while now, so it seems obviously him. One of the old WWE producers who had a podcast (maybe it was Arn?) talked about how frustrating it could be to agent him, because he would try to change things during the show, which is generally frowned upon unless there’s a really good reason for it (and, of course, Sami thinks all of his reasons are really good).

• Haha 1

Chase U vs. Gulak/Dempsey was good. Really hope Chase and Hudson have a tag titles reign however short in their future. They continue to gel so well and just be almost secretly good.

Cora/Kelani was pretty decent. Jordan got in a nice enough showcase while despite Cora having so much control.

Bron/Ilja was great. Loved the intensity and action with the two just trying to destroy each other. Dug both being thrown off when the other survived their best shot. Particularly dug how it seemed to fire up Bron even more. Wondering if this is Bron's farewell match from NXT with how it went.

Stratton/Nile was a solid little match. Was good seeing Ivy do so well against the champ. I'm curious to see how long they will keep Nile on her own. Curious to see where things go since it seemed obvious two of the Schism members who stared at her backstage were the Creeds.

Skipped Stacks/Coffey outside of the finish.

Rhe and Dom's segment with Lee was fun. Looking forward to Lee/Dom next week though it feels weird given the comign Lee/Ali title match.

Hayes/Trick vs. Balor/Priest was solid. I like that Hayes took two finishers to be put down and that they finally involved Ilja in this given the coming title match at GAB.

The show was generally solid though it feels weird to see Judgement Day on so much. I kind of wish it was Dom they were pushing to face guys like Hayes and co. more than Finn and Priest. 

• Like 2

Everything about the Coffey vs Stacks and DeAngelo feud has been incredibly goofy with little common sense.  So we are deciding the jail term of Tony in a match first of all.  sure why not.  Then we are supposed to believe that Stacks will lay down to keep his boss in jail so he can become the boss.  After that didn't happen all of the sudden Tony can make his one phone call to call the announcers IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MATCH to tell us it was a swerve.  😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Everything about the Coffey vs Stacks and DeAngelo feud has been incredibly goofy with little common sense.  So we are deciding the jail term of Tony in a match first of all.  sure why not.  Then we are supposed to believe that Stacks will lay down to keep his boss in jail so he can become the boss.  After that didn't happen all of the sudden Tony can make his one phone call to call the announcers IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MATCH to tell us it was a swerve.  😅

I'm just glad there was an open telephone at the right time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Bron/Ilja was this week's NXT Banger after last week's one being Dyad vs. Creeds. 

That match was pretty crazy.  There were a couple of moments where Bron looked like he was trying to slow Ilja down with a stiff bomb or two.  They both must have been pretty beat up afterwards.  Bron's presentation is SO much better with this delivery than his babyface ways.