DVDVR Message Board

July 2023 Wrestling Discussion

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Daniel Bryan seems like the sort of guy who would time travel to work Danny Hodge in Oklahoma every night for a year

Funny thing: I was listening to JR's podcast on Brawl For All, and of course, bringing Hodge was his idea. Supposedly, others were against using Hodge as a ref or a judge or whatever he was brought in for due to his age. So yeah, they were fine with using folks who were mostly formally untrained in combat sports and allowing them to get concussed among other terrible bodily injuries but using old ass Danny Hodge? Nope!

50 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Funny thing: I was listening to JR's podcast on Brawl For All, and of course, bringing Hodge was his idea. Supposedly, others were against using Hodge as a ref or a judge or whatever he was brought in for due to his age. So yeah, they were fine with using folks who were mostly formally untrained in combat sports and allowing them to get concussed among other terrible bodily injuries but using old ass Danny Hodge? Nope!

Since that pre-dates all the wellness policy stuff, the Lawler heart attack, the 'no contact' list, etc., I wonder if that's more to do with a weird McMahon age hang-up - like how he supposedly doesn't like gray hair, or numbering WM/calling it 'the Grandaddy of 'em all' anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Nixon in Futurama comes to mind with Vince

If he is NOT taken to a taxidermist, stuffed, and preserved in Titan Towers for tours of the building, then I dunno if wrestling is carny like it should be anymore.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If he is NOT taken to a taxidermist, stuffed, and preserved in Titan Towers for tours of the building, then I dunno if wrestling is carny like it should be anymore.

If they aren't using Vince's frozen head as an international object by 2025 at the latest then wrestling as an art form is dead.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Heyyyyyyy, yeah, so I never venture into this space anymore because, yeah, I have some complicated feelings about wrestling.  How complicated?  Well, it would make my year and a half of film mini-reviews in the Movies/TV forum look like the trivia blurb on the back of a baseball card.

But, having said that, I know a lot of you are DC-adjacent, so I wondered if any of you had seen this group before - they might be the strangest indy I've seen that didn't have Kaiju...

https://www.flyingvtheatre.com/wings/fights/doubledash/

It's right down the road from my place, and I'm still debating whether I'd go at all, because, well, if I'm going to drop $25 on something, I want it to be *good* and I have no idea if this would even be that.  But, it seems none of the rest of you have a clue about it either, if the search function is to be believed.  But hey, there's an indy show *tomorrow night* for cripes sake.

Anyone else with an opinion??

I've never heard of them, but it looks like a fun concept, I would probably check it out. Some great wrestlers listed to appear: The Outfielders, Cheeseburger, Eel O'Neal, O'Shay Edwards, Killian McMurphy...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Fantastic. Instead of Robot Agnew's "GRRRRRR!" it would be Laurinaitis' rasp going "HUUUUUUUUHHHHH!"

Johnny would  prob still have 2 left feet, even as a robot. 

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gary Strydom

Only if the guy has been secrectly frozen for that very purpose since early 1993. We all knew Vince had designs for the guy ever since WBF, but this would have required quite the long term planning for a (reasonably) young Vince! After WBF failed, he just quietly had this guy put into ice for later use, because he saw that this is how he wanted to look for the rest of his existence. I wonder if a large portion of the merger money is actually going into putting this sinister plan to motion?

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Janie Engle, not Jamie

Other people on the list: Barry Rose (Florida wrestling historian and organizer of fan fests), Mark Nulty (announcer and commentator, e.g. ROH in 2004-ish), Jim Melby (wrestling historian and magazine editor), Fred Hornby (wrestling historian)

Actually, as longer as I look on the list, there are loads of people whose name you would have encountered if you listened to a couple of episodes of Between the Sheets. There is Pete Lederberg who was a co-host a couple of times or Ken Jugan, Elio Zarlenga and Greg Mosorjak who published a wrestling newsletter (together with Hildebrand and Lederberg).

Also it would be interesting if Haruo Yamaguchi is/was related to Wally (Yusuke) Yamaguchi.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Robert S said:

Janie Engle, not Jamie

Other people on the list: Barry Rose (Florida wrestling historian and organizer of fan fests), Mark Nulty (announcer and commentator, e.g. ROH in 2004-ish), Jim Melby (wrestling historian and magazine editor), Fred Hornby (wrestling historian)

Actually, as longer as I look on the list, there are loads of people whose name you would have encountered if you listened to a couple of episodes of Between the Sheets. There is Pete Lederberg who was a co-host a couple of times or Ken Jugan, Elio Zarlenga and Greg Mosorjak who published a wrestling newsletter (together with Hildebrand and Lederberg).

Also it would be interesting if Haruo Yamaguchi is/was related to Wally (Yusuke) Yamaguchi.

Ken Jugan also became Lord Zoltan in the Pittsburgh area indies, and Greg Mosorjak is Count Grog as well as the promoter of a couple of indies in North Carolina for close to 30 years now.

• Like 1