DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

It took about 4 and a half months but I'm finally fully caught up with ROH.  I had to unfortunately put that on the back burner as there was massive wads of wrestling to catch up on elsewhere.  So it was hard to check this thread without spoiling anything.

But I will say for the ups and downs it's had ROH is really, really fucking great.  I love the fusion of Dark and ROH that they're doing and there's been some very fun things happening over there.  Ian and Caprice are also my favorite commentary team by a mile as you can tell they're great friends who have a good time calling matches.  And some of angles they've had were really great to see unfold.

Of course my favorite was Athena having MIT and I'm almost sad seeing this end with the title match.  But there was something about Athena laughing after Billie went nuts that has me feeling this was the final test.  So while it could mean the whole thing is done with win or lose I think Billie's going to pass and get Athena's respect.  It would make a really satisfying conclusion unless they go blood feud from this which I would rather they not do.

• Like 3

He hasn't been much of a factor at all. He mainly teams with Titus and lose most of the few times they're on.

And as I say that he had a qualifying match tonight for Survival of the Fittest.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

Awesome Athena/Billie brawl to open this week after Billie squashed Dani Mo.  Feels like setting up an epic Billie victory, but I do hope it doesn't come off lesser being in Athena's hometown at Final Battle. Also epic that they are officially the main event!

Also awesome, Blackpool Combat Club vs. FTR & Mark Briscoe at Final Battle!

I love using Johnny TV & Taya on Honor, potentially great addition for two rarely used talents. Solid match with Johnny and Dalton, made me think Johnny would've been a great pick for TV Champ or at least to put in the match for it. Their later backstage segment was hilarious, glad to see them continue a rivalry. Also dig the set up for a potential Taya/Kiera match. 

the Rachael/Leyla/Maria angle is amusing, almost thought Nikki Victory was gonna get a star making win for a moment.

Good stuff from WorkHorsemen vs. The Infantry, 2 of my fav ROH regular teams. 

Nice women's tag. Sad to see the Renegades always on the losing end, but I was glad to see Adora getting a win again since she used to win more often. Both had their last wins on Honor back in July.

Lee Johnson vs Josh Woods was great, absolutely shocked by the upset! Big Shotty looked excellent here.  Tracy vs. Moriarty after was pretty good. Back to back wins for Butcher & Blade!

Dug Daniels vs. Angelico and the post-match appearance of Orange & Danhausen.

Ethan and Nese had a really good contract segment. Protein Powder to the Eyes!! Now an I Quit match at FB. 

Decent quick main from Kyle Fletcher and Gravity.  One spot left in Survival of the Fittest for the TV title at FB.

• Like 3

It's her 19th Birthday TODAY, Billie Starkz. She celebrated by Wrestling against Daniel Makabe in ACTION Wrestling (which I think our Jacey North is a part of running).

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 1:26 AM, Matt D said:

Starkz has to be the youngest person to ever main event a PPV right? If we include Takeovers is that still true?

On 12/9/2023 at 2:53 AM, AxB said:

It's her 19th Birthday TODAY, Billie Starkz. She celebrated by Wrestling against Daniel Makabe in ACTION Wrestling (which I think our Jacey North is a part of running).

Didn't realise Billie Starkz was so young. Wow.

Finally up to speed with ROH and also watched the episode with Athena vs Kiera Hogan street fight.

I was upset that Josh Woods didn't qualify for Survival of the Fittest, but Fletcher getting in throws a monkeywrench into the gears of Dalton Castle being the obvious choice. I'm conflicted now. Glad to see Taya back and there's a match for Athena, once we see if Billie has what it takes!

• Like 1

A solid Kingston/Evil Uno opener this week.

Mostly squashes with some nice ones from Legit Leyla & then Wheeler Yuta in pure rules. Surprised no Yuta defense for Final Battle was announced.

Dalton & The Boys vs Iron Savages was fun. Interesting that there's one spot left in Survival of the Fittest for the TV title, wonder if it goes to Johnny TV or we get a surprise entry.

Taya vs Ellering was pretty good. Laughed at Maria praising Leyla for her win while saying Rachael lost to "a local" as they were in Canada.  Brian Cage with a nice win over Gravity.

the 4 way tag has been an ROH tradition lately. Butcher & Blade continue their win streak.

Athena with the epic 20 second squash to end the night and then another awesome post-match brawl, crazy visual leaving Athena a bloody mess. Billie standing tall here plus being in Athena's hometown has me thinking Athena might retain. Looking forward to them main eventing Final Battle tomorrow. 

EDIT: Tony announced afterwards that Tom Lawlor will challenge Yuta for the Pure Title

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 12:12 PM, Shartnado said:

Finally up to speed with ROH and also watched the episode with Athena vs Kiera Hogan street fight.

I was upset that Josh Woods didn't qualify for Survival of the Fittest, but Fletcher getting in throws a monkeywrench into the gears of Dalton Castle being the obvious choice. I'm conflicted now. Glad to see Taya back and there's a match for Athena, once we see if Billie has what it takes!

What was the date on the Athena vs. K Hogan Street Fight? 

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Holy shit! Will Athena be even cleared to go after that one? Although, she has worn protective gear on her face before. Was that an accident or just an angle?

It was an accident that worked perfectly with the angle.

• Thanks 1

Watched the end to see what happened to Athena and her wailing was pretty disturbing. She sounded like she found out somebody close died or something. I wonder just when it happened though because she was grabbing at her face before she got out of the ring. There are a couple places otherwise -- the post, the chair.