DVDVR Message Board

2023 Hollywood Business (Box Office, Streaming Services, etc...)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Last Voyage of the Demeter was made for $45 million. It has so far received, in box office sales...

$6.5 million. 

As a friend of mine would say, "Oofta."

They should have called it Dracula on a boat(as has been stated on Twitter), that would have brought in the $$$. But a vague title(I know and you know its from the book, but. . .) didn't fo it any favors. Or releasing it six weeks too early. . . 

• Like 1

Yeah, no shit. If they could've just waited for October and done a big saturation campaign, maybe it could have cracked... 10? Shit, let's face it, I don't think they'd make back even 40 TBH. That 30% from Rotten Tomatoes was probably the death bell ringing right then and there. That sequel damn sure isn't coming now.

I can see the fake Simpsons or Family Guy commercial. "DRACLA... ON A BOAT! Starring Rainier Wolfcastle as Dr. Van Wolfcastle!"

EDIT: "Dracla" isn't a mistake, I like to call him that in an exclamatory fashion, it amuses me. "DRACLAAAAAA."

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

The Last Voyage of the Demeter had some good stuff around it, some good actors in it, great music by Bear McCreary, some cool production design and costume work, but a weak, predictable script. Also, the prologue literally spoils and gives away the entire movie. 

It's also hard to get invested in and care about one transitional chapter from the original novel. They really had to pad out this film and put in a lot of goofy movie nonsense to stretch it out to two hours. I just found the ending very dumb and pointless.

Just because I feel like bitching for a minute

HBO On Demand won't let you watch the full 2nd season of The Sopranos. Two major episodes are cut off and replaced by podcast eps. 

Amazon Prime won't let you watch Sons of Anarchy, a nine year old series, without extra payment to unlock it. 

I'm sure there are more examples. PPV (because that's all streaming is) is for the birds. 

Today (Monday) - Barbie will become Warner Brothers highest grossing global release ever

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 was the previous top movie

Barbie also should soon pass The Super Mario Bros Movie to become the year's highest grossing global movie

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Some news about Max

It's like they just want to throw every shitty idea at the wall at once.

"WBD is adding a compulsory Scratch & Sniff effect for new customers, but only the really sulfuric fart smells."

"WBD is implementing new VR tech that punches the wearer in the face every 30 minutes."

"WBD is partnering with Classmates.com to remind you that the girl/guy/whoever of your dreams in high school fucked the entire lacrosse team.  On your birthday weekend."

"WBD is rolling out a new video game on their platform - 'Puppy-Smashing Factory' - and they will allow people to skip ads if they play 20 minutes of the game per day."

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Imagine it's a lot harder to work out concessions with actors. Different pay scales, prior rates, egos, etc. 

I think the sticking point is the special effects extras thing. Egos aren't as big an issue I would imagine as SAG just sets scale rates, right?

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

🤷‍♂️ I'd like to know myself, really. And what's the "special effects extras thing"? Like, motion capture stuff? 

So the fear is this:

An "extra" can come in and get scanned by the production. The production can then use that scan to place the extra in any scene in the film, but they only have to pay the extra for one day of work(the day they were scanned). That pay would be about $182.

This concept became newsworthy when it was inferred that the production companies would have the right to your virtual likeness forever and ever - for 182 bucks, and could use it in other media beyond the production you were scanned for. Which wasn't really the case but made for a good headline - in part because it's totally believable.

And to be honest, I don't think this is that big a sticking point in the negotiations. There are bigger issues that we were dealing with before the strike in regards to rates, particularly how companies can get around paying those rates through creative scheduling.

• Like 1

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Ahhhh I believe I heard about this likeness thing in passing. They're gonna have to work out some kind of royalty system. 

And this is certainly where there would be a problem, because studios don't want to pay royalties to regular actors. They sure as shit don't want to pay royalties to extras.

The reason why I say it won't be much of a sticking point is because it's doubtful that the union would hold anything up for extras. They get looked down upon by everyone.

• Like 1