DVDVR Message Board

2023 Hollywood Business (Box Office, Streaming Services, etc...)

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

There was some kerfuffle last week about WBD being "close to bankruptcy."  Well...

David Zaslav needs some kind of award for speedrunning Destroying The Company and Pulling the Golden Parachute

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Studio Ghibli has their first US #1 box office weekend.

The Boy and The Heron took in $12.8m to end the weekend at #1 domestically. 

Boy, that’s a low box office total to win a week. 

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Boy, that’s a low box office total to win a week. 

Welcome to the new normal. 

24 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There was some kerfuffle last week about WBD being "close to bankruptcy."  Well...

David Zaslav needs some kind of award for speedrunning Destroying The Company and Pulling the Golden Parachute

willsmithpursuitofhappinessplshelp.jpeg

It should be noted that Paramount is probably doing as bad.

On 12/20/2023 at 4:30 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Welcome to the new normal. 

willsmithpursuitofhappinessplshelp.jpeg

It should be noted that Paramount is probably doing as bad.

Pretty sure Paramount is doing significantly worse. Mountains of debt.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Some of the reports say WBD is $40-45 billion in debt and Paramount is $15 billion in debt.

Ah, I had it twisted in my mind. I found what I misremembered though.

The bigger issue was the WBD has a positive cash flow and has significantly reduced debt while Paramount has a negative cash flow so it's growing. Also WBD has nearly triple the market value.

So more debt for WBD, but they are still the one in better shape and... Buying a company drowning in debt will somehow help them?

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Are they buying Paramount as a tax write off?

No, that definitely doesn't sound like what's going on.

There is a story from Hollywood Reporter from early this morning which runs through a few scenarios (including keeping everything separate in favor of just bundling Max and Paramount+):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-discovery-paramount-merger-wall-street-doubts-1235773951/

On 12/7/2023 at 5:51 PM, jaedmc said:

When HBO and Discovery became MAX they took a perfectly good interface and fucked the menus around so it's harder to get to the specific brand of content you want. I think they think we like not knowing what the fuck is going on.

I absolutely hate opening Max to watch a movie or "HBO" TV show and 3/4 of the homescreen is Discovery Channel reality trash.

• Like 3

I'm starting to wonder when rich people are finally gonna remember that their system of governance considering money is all their self-made construct and realize "hey, we don't have to pay anything to anybody" and excuse their own debt. It might make their heads explode from the existential crisis, but it would save us having to give a shit about any of that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm starting to wonder when rich people are finally gonna remember that their system of governance considering money is all their self-made construct and realize "hey, we don't have to pay anything to anybody" and excuse their own debt. It might make their heads explode from the existential crisis, but it would save us having to give a shit about any of that. 

That's what bankruptcy courts are for and alla that.