DVDVR Message Board

2023 Hollywood Business (Box Office, Streaming Services, etc...)

RIPPA

Here is the pricing info

According to the service’s website, Max will be available in three different versions. The first two plans align with the existing HBO Max pricing, and WBD said current HBO Max customers will not see their pricing change (for now) when the new service debuts. The third tier, “Max Ultimate,” expands to up to four streams and includes 4K content. The trio of options are:

• Max Ad-Lite ($9.99/month or $99.99/year): Two concurrent streams, 1080p HD resolution, no offline downloads, 5.1 surround sound quality
  • Max Ad Free ($15.99/month or $149.99/year): Two concurrent streams, 1080p HD, up to 30 offline downloads, 5.1 surround sound quality
  • Max Ultimate Ad Free ($19.99/month or $199.99/year): Four concurrent streams, up to 4K Ultra HD resolution, 100 offline downloads, Dolby Atmos sound quality

Warner Bros. Discovery in January hiked the price of HBO Max without ads from $14.99 to $15.99 per month in the U.S., while the ad-supported plan stayed at $9.99/month.

The Max Ultimate tier will have an expanded catalog of content available in 4K UHD including from franchises such as “Game of Thrones,” “The Last of Us,” “Harry Potter,” “The Lord of the Rings,” “The Dark Knight Trilogy” and more. In addition, all Warner Bros. movies released this year and in the future will also be available in 4K UHD when they arrive on Max following their theatrical windows, the company announced.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit, if it had Adult Swim on there, I'd be all in.

Cartoon Network & Adult Swim both have collection tabs. There’s well over 30 titles in each. 

Netflix's first foray into the Live Streaming arena is, um, not going well.  I'm sitting next to a very irritated woman waiting 30 minutes for her trash TV Reunion episode.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob Iger announced that later this year - Disney will start adding Hulu content to Disney+ (my understanding is you will still need to be a Hulu subscriber to watch the programming)

They will still offer Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ as separate standalone options

Also snuck into the presentation is that they will be raising the price of the price of both the ad-free tier and ad tier of Disney+ (the actual increase amount wasn't said but the ad-supported one was described as "moderate")

It definitely seems like another attempt to drive folks to the bundles

Help me out here, isn’t this the same thing WBD just did?

Also on the call, CFO Christine McCarthy announced Disney is “in the process of reviewing the content on our DTC services to align with the strategic changes in our approach to content curation” and “will be removing certain content from our streaming platforms.” 

According to McCarthy, Disney expects a writedown in Q3 of $1.5-$1.8 billion from removing the content. McCarthy also said “going forward we intend to produce lower volumes of content in alignment with this strategic shift

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Help me out here, isn’t this the same thing WBD just did?

oh yeah that's what that means. Some shows will be going into The Vault, if you will.

I’m pretty sure a good bit of the content WBD removed got licensed out to some free streaming platform, though. At least it’s still available somewhere, whereas Disney hasn’t announced if that’s what they’re going to do as well.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I’m pretty sure a good bit of the content WBD removed got licensed out to some free streaming platform, though. At least it’s still available somewhere, whereas Disney hasn’t announced if that’s what they’re going to do as well.

In the most annoying way. The Nevers and Westworld are both on Tubi and Roku channel, but only on linear streaming channels at set times, not available on demand. And since they only so far have played The Nevers while I'm at work... It's almost like they want my to check behind random trucks to see what might've fallen off 

I am amused that despite being a Comcast/Xfinity customer - I saw this via the new WON

The official date that Peacock will stop being free for Comcast/Xfinity is 6/26

On that date - users will have to pay the $4.99 a month (there is a note that there is talk about doing a limited promotion where it would only be $2.99 a month)

On 5/12/2023 at 8:26 AM, RIPPA said:

I am amused that despite being a Comcast/Xfinity customer - I saw this via the new WON

The official date that Peacock will stop being free for Comcast/Xfinity is 6/26

On that date - users will have to pay the $4.99 a month (there is a note that there is talk about doing a limited promotion where it would only be $2.99 a month)

If you have Game Pass, they’re offering 2 free months of Premium Plus. I cancelled my ad included plan, waited until it expired, and used the promo code and it worked. So it’s not for new subscribers or anything. Just an FYI for anyone.

Also got a 3 month trial for Apple TV through Roku. I’ve never paid for Apple TV and I’ve had it for like almost two years now.

Anyway, Disney are removing shows like Willow, Dollface, Mighty Ducks show, that Jeff Goldblum docuseries and Turner & Hooch from Hulu and Disney+ on the 26th.