DVDVR Message Board

2023 Hollywood Business (Box Office, Streaming Services, etc...)

RIPPA

At your next visit to AMC Theatres, getting a prime seat may cost you a little extra.

The country’s largest exhibition chain is rolling out Sightline at AMC, a ticket pricing initiative based on seat location within the auditorium. Similar to music concerts, sporting events or Broadway, moviegoers will have the option to pay more or less for admission depending on where they choose to sit in the venue. In effect, front row seats will be available at a lower price, while seats in the middle of the theater will be available at a higher price.

The initiative kicks off on Friday at select AMC locations in New York, Chicago and Kansas City and will be expanded to all domestic AMC locations by the end of the year.

There will be three different seat-pricing options. The first is Standard Sightline, described as the “seats that are the most common in auditoriums and are available for the traditional cost of a ticket.” Then there’s Value Sightline, referred to as “seats in the front row of the auditorium, as well as select ADA seats in each auditorium, and are available at a lower price than standard sightline seats.” (Value Sightline pricing is only available to AMC Stubs members, including the free tier membership.) The third option is Preferred Sightline, which are the “seats in the middle of the auditorium and are priced at a premium to standard sightline seats.” AMC Stubs A-List members will be able to reserve seats in the Preferred Sightline Section at no additional cost.

Theaters that offer Sightline at AMC are expected to provide a detailed seat map that outlines each seating option during the ticket purchase process online, on the AMC app and at the box office. Sightline at AMC is applied to all showtimes that begin after 4 p.m. at participating locations. It’s not applicable on Discount Tuesdays, when all movie tickets are discounted to $5.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/amc-theaters-movie-ticket-price-seat-location-1235514262/?cx_testId=48&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

Yeah that's okay, when they decide to fumigate, de-lice and try to repopulate my local AMC I can still not pay them and go to the multiplex within a ten minute drive that shows good movies instead. 

EDIT: This is funny -- when this news came up on Facebook I have a friend in PR and another living somewhere in the Bahamas I believe (he's ex-DC/Virginia), the latter asked how much tickets were domestically nowadays and he got some serious sticker shock when I told him a small popcorn alone cost $10. Even in the PR tickets are like $9 a pop. 

EDIT II: Said multiplex above had staff that let me in for my Infinity Pool ticket despite the lack of an e-mail with a code since I purchased online (they even whispered to each other right in front of me "don't worry we'll just let him in"). AND the theater was completely empty. Wonderful! 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 2/6/2023 at 2:13 PM, RIPPA said:

Good luck with that. In Pocatello we don't have shit like the stubbs member preferred lines at our AMC. This shit isn't going to fly. Bring back Carmike! (I know they merged). Still better than the Edwards in IF though. . . (their popcorn sucks!)

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Apparently after all that nonsense, WBD is keeping Discovery+ as its own separate entity. 

Well it is and it isn't

https://www.ign.com/articles/warner-bros-discovery-reportedly-keeping-discovery-plus-despite-hbo-max-merger-plans

The Wall Street Journal reported today that Warner Bros. Discovery is no longer planning to merge Discovery+ and HBO Max into a single streaming service.

A source, however, clarifies to IGN that Warner's plan to bring the platforms together remains unchanged, and adds that they've decided to keep the lower-priced offering of Discovery+ in the U.S. marketplace.

Unnamed sources previously told the Wall Street Journal that the shift has occurred in response to fears that a significant number of Discovery+’s 20 million subscribers would be unwilling to migrate to a more expensive service.

Company executives have indicated that the new, currently unnamed service will be more expensive than the existing $15.99 ad-free version of HBO Max.

Warner Bros. Discovery will also reportedly launch a separate free ad-supported streaming service later in 2023 which will feature a range of programs drawn from the company’s extensive library split across numerous distinct channels.

Sling TV, the internet-streaming division of Dish Network, is doubling down on free, ad-supported streaming television (FAST) and free, ad-supported VOD — looking to beef up its offering for consumers who balk at paying a monthly subscription fee.

The redubbed Sling Freestream is launching with 210 free channels and 41,000-plus on-demand titles. It’s a rebranding — and expansion— of Sling Free, which has been its free, live TV streaming service with some 150 channels and AVOD selections. In addition, Sling Freestream users can subscribe to more than 50 standalone streaming services, including AMC+, Discovery+, MGM+ and Paramount’s Showtime.

With Freestream, Sling is trying to lower the barrier to entry even further, by eliminating the requirement that users create an account to be able to start streaming free content. And by the end of this spring, Sling Freestream is on track to offer more than 400 channels, said Gary Schanman, group president of Sling TV. “It’s a large expansion of the offering,” he said.

The move comes after Sling TV last fall raised the prices on its stripped-down internet pay-TV services, bumping up both packages (Sling Orange and Sling Blue) by $5 to $40/month. As of the end of the third quarter of 2022, Sling TV had 2.41 million paid subscribers, down 6% from a year prior but a sequential increase of about 214,000.

Sling’s expanded FAST and AVOD tier will serve as an on-ramp for consumers who want to subscribe to its pay-TV packages — as well as an off-ramp for those canceling their paid service so Sling can retain them as viewers, Schanman said. “We know some people want free content, some may want a year-round paid subscription, while others may want to subscribe for certain events or shows,” he said.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/sling-tv-freestream-fast-free-streaming-service-1235517766/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Per Variety - Warner Brothers Discovery is going to start airing edited versions of "older" HBO shows on TBS and TNT

First two shows are Silicon Valley and True Blood

They will, obviously, be edited for TV both in language and content and have TV-MA ratings

They two shows debuted last night after All Star game coverage (True Blood will air on TNT, Silicon Valley will air on TBS)

Their regular time slots will be True Blood on Mondays at 10 PM EST, Silicon Valley on Sundays at 10 PM EST

So they'll be under the TV-MA banner that allows every other show to do whatever they want, but they'll STILL be edited for content. Got it. 

EDIT: I mean, really. True Blood is probably more tame at this point than What We Do in the Shadows.

EDIT II: Or, AEW...

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...

Reports are that Paramount Global is looking to sell BET Media Group

Variety says that Tyler Perry is in talks to buy the majority stake in the company (Perry currently owns a minority stake)

There is also talk that Byron Allen might jump in to try and acquire the company.

On 3/7/2023 at 11:07 AM, RIPPA said:

Reports are that Paramount Global is looking to sell BET Media Group

Variety says that Tyler Perry is in talks to buy the majority stake in the company (Perry currently owns a minority stake)

There is also talk that Byron Allen might jump in to try and acquire the company.

Add Sean "Diddy" Combs to the list of folks trying to acquire the BET majority stake

I can't remember where we originally talked about it so I will drop this here

Netflix has reached an agreement to stream all 5 seasons of Arrested Development

I guess technically that should say "remain the streaming home"

No official date of when the first three seasons will leave Hulu

Box Office: 'Dungeons & Dragons' Opens to $40 Million - Variety

Finishing fourth at the box office is the new Biblical film "His Only Son," which is from the people responsible for "The Chosen."

I have not seen this film and I don't know how good it is but, per IMDB, the actor fifth from the top of the cast list for "His Only Son" is Luis Fernandez-Gil, AKA Dario Cueto and Cesar Duran.

Dario Cueto in a Biblical epic is something I didn't know I wanted ....

Goes live May 23

Will combine what is currently HBO Max and Discovery

And I swear this is true - the reason they are dropping "HBO" from the name is because they felt it came across as basically too elitest. There is a better quote this one but I can't find it right now

While WBD CEO David Zaslav is as enamored of HBO as the AT&T regime overall, his management team concluded that the “HBO” in the name positioned the general entertainment service as slightly too rarified to match rivals like Disney+ or Netflix. The combined service is home not only to the coastal fixation Succession but also decidedly Middle American unscripted series like Naked and Afraid and 90 Day Fiancé.