DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

I’m like a third of the way through Horizon Forbidden West, so I need to play that today too. I’m happy to fall behind on Zelda so I can find answers when I eventually get stuck in a dungeon and can’t figure what shapes to put together to solve it.  

I hauled ass to Gamestop during lunch break to get TOTK and apparently came in at the perfect time.  They said it was a constant long line since they opened and I only had two people that were finishing up their purchases in line.  Awesome.  The Collector's Edition looks pretty great and we got the Amiibo to boot so now it's just a matter of actually playing the damn thing.

I did try BotW but the puzzles were such a pain over time that I gave up on playing.  I know my wife will be bent on completing everything but I hope to have more patience when I give it a go.

10 year old's birthday (11) is late in June and we'll probably have my parents get it for her for her birthday since they're always trying to figure something out for her, so I'm not going to play this thing for a month and a half. In the meantime, shouldn't it have its own thread though?

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I hauled ass to Gamestop during lunch break to get TOTK and apparently came in at the perfect time.  They said it was a constant long line since they opened and I only had two people that were finishing up their purchases in line.  Awesome.  The Collector's Edition looks pretty great and we got the Amiibo to boot so now it's just a matter of actually playing the damn thing.

I did try BotW but the puzzles were such a pain over time that I gave up on playing.  I know my wife will be bent on completing everything but I hope to have more patience when I give it a go.

It's early, but there are lots of "build something to solve this issue" puzzles. 

This is pretty much BotW with a bigger map and the building system, which I think is more engaging than the physics system in the first game. It's a good time! 

Edited to ask Rippa if it's okay to have a dedicated thread for this game? 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Edited to ask Rippa if it's okay to have a dedicated thread for this game? 

Go ahead - just use spoiler tags when discussing "important" things

• Thanks 1

Everyone out here playing the new Zelda while I just got Driver on “PlayStation 1” and I’m trying to figure out the tutorial.

(I also got Midnight Suns for $20 on the SteamDeck and it’s pretty great)

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Everyone out here playing the new Zelda while I just got Driver on “PlayStation 1” and I’m trying to figure out the tutorial.

If I remember correctly - Driver has one of the most notoriously hard tutorials

Where its "here you have one minute to do all the driving things but we don't tell you what any of them are"

• Like 1

Oh my god, Driver. I remember loving that game, but thinking it was kinda janky that there were no streets with curves in them. Everything was a 90 degree turn. Still, it blew me away at the time and also shocked me that you could come so close to running people over.

Then a couple or few years later GTA gets announced and my first thought was, holy shit, it's Driver, but a bigger city, and you can get out of your car and cause total mayhem.

Never did play Driver 2. I did play the Stuntman though, or maybe it was the Wheelman? Whatever the spiritual successor was that had you as a stunt driver and that game drove me up a wall.

So now weeks later the EU commission has approved the Microsoft/Activision merger (different than the UK CMA's who rejected the deal)

Basically Microsoft agreed to license all Activision/Blizzard games to all cloud services globally and now everyone is happy

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/microsofts-activision-takeover-european-commission-clearance-1235613001/

Obviously Microsoft feels this strengthens their appeal of the UK ruling

• Sad 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:10 AM, Zimbra said:

Trying very hard to convince myself not to buy Zelda even though I got paid today.

UPDATE: I resisted for a day, which is pretty good for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

UPDATE: I resisted for a day, which is pretty good for me.

I finally started a play through of BOTW that involved me doing more than walking outside of the Shrine of Resurrection.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 11:26 AM, odessasteps said:

I had to move my save data from my original switch to the second one so that I can benefit from the save data from BOTW.

wait, there's benefits for having save data? i guess that's what i get for buying the Wii-U version on release.

Just now, twiztor said:

wait, there's benefits for having save data? i guess that's what i get for buying the Wii-U version on release.

The only thing we know that carries over are your registered horses.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2023 at 11:20 AM, Chaos said:

I finally started a play through of BOTW that involved me doing more than walking outside of the Shrine of Resurrection.

I would love to be able to rasa the old tabula and play BOTW for the first time again.

WWE skins have returned to Fall Guys. Undertaker, Asuka and Xavier Woods has returned to the store, now joined by Mankind, Rey Mysterio, Bianca Belair and Randy Savage.

• Like 1

in an effort to continue cleaning up my backlog, i've been playing the original Tomb Raider on the ps1. i'm somewhere around halfway through (at the Midas catacombs or whatever people call them?)  yeah, i think this game isn't for me. the tank controls are obviously horrid. there's severe camera issues. i'm kind of enjoying the puzzle aspect of it, but man, i don't know if it's the PS1, the A/V cables, the TV, or my old man eyes, but this game is SO FREAKING DARK. i've run into multiple areas that i can't see a single thing and it's just pitch black. and every enemy is a bullet sponge. why does a gorilla take 20 shots to kill? seems unnecessary. 

long story short, i'm not going to put myself through this to finish the game. unfinished but i gave it more than a solid attempt, so i am removing it from my backlog list.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, twiztor said:

in an effort to continue cleaning up my backlog, i've been playing the original Tomb Raider on the ps1. i'm somewhere around halfway through (at the Midas catacombs or whatever people call them?)  yeah, i think this game isn't for me. the tank controls are obviously horrid. there's severe camera issues. i'm kind of enjoying the puzzle aspect of it, but man, i don't know if it's the PS1, the A/V cables, the TV, or my old man eyes, but this game is SO FREAKING DARK. i've run into multiple areas that i can't see a single thing and it's just pitch black. and every enemy is a bullet sponge. why does a gorilla take 20 shots to kill? seems unnecessary. 

long story short, i'm not going to put myself through this to finish the game. unfinished but i gave it more than a solid attempt, so i am removing it from my backlog list.

I’m currently playing the Legend trilogy. You should just play that instead - especially since Anniversary is just a remake of TR1.

11 hours ago, AxB said:

WWE skins have returned to Fall Guys. Undertaker, Asuka and Xavier Woods has returned to the store, now joined by Mankind, Rey Mysterio, Bianca Belair and Randy Savage.

What I wouldn’t give for Fortnite skins of the Faces of Foley, Asuka and Macho Man. There’s already like 2 or 3 versions of Dwayne Johnson and a John Cena skin, come onnnnn Epic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1