Jump to content

All Out IV - 9/4/2022


Recommended Posts

One of the things that felt so good about Punks return was not just the performances, but he seemed so sincerely happy and in a great head space. That's the Punk I want to see again. He's made his money. If all of this is having such a negative effect on him, it's time to step back. 

If you read between the lines, the purpose of the Page/Punk feud was to get the title away from Elite world where it had been for over a year. (Fast forward a few months and the Elite have a title made special for them which will keep them out of the major title pictures) It was a face v. face feud with no clear build. In my eyes this was confirmed by how TK treated the interim title. There is no real logical explanation why Page was not immediately put back in the mix. My assumption is the reason he was put on the sidelines is TK wanted that title away from the Elite. Punk ending up in the middle of it may have been the collateral damage. 

One other thing that really hasn't been touched on is Punks most outspoken allies in AEW (FTR) have an issue with the bucks as well. These things are not happening in a vacuum. 

Taking off my tin foil hat. 

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I thought the police officer thing was a shoot until I saw a pic of the responding officer smdh.

  Hide contents

E6440-F6-A-7-CCF-4841-9803-88856-E3654-A

 

I heard it was Dog The Bounty Hunter come to collect the bounty Cabana's mom put on Phil Brooks' head 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Did he state this as a fact or was he speculating?

(I'm going to listen to the audio eventually to find out for myself)

Fact as in that it whoever was telling Punk's side to Dave is saying that. 

I mean it is clearly using Dave to convey a threat to TK - how much teeth is behind it is a different story

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

One other thing that really hasn't been touched on is Punks most outspoken allies in AEW (FTR) have an issue with the bucks as well. These things are not happening in a vacuum. 

Taking off my tin foil hat. 

I'll gladly put it on: Cody dipped the second he saw this shit coming. Certainly would give a little context that last promo before the ladder match with Sammy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'll gladly put it on: Cody dipped the second he saw this shit coming. Certainly would give a little context that last promo before the ladder match with Sammy.

Here:

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a couple of more thoughts on this before I start my workday:

* One of the most interesting things about this is it really has popped a balloon in a lot of AEW's marketing. They always talk up on the podcast and generally speaking about what an awesome locker room it is and how it's such a breath of fresh air and etc. Maybe that was the case before all of this happened. But that's never the case in anything related to the entertainment industry. People always want more screen time and there are egos at play and etc.  But this being such a public friggin' thing - and Punk's stuff was so completely public - really just lifted that veil. 

* However much of this is a shoot or a work or a shoot that ends up in the work -- it's really friggin' clear that Punk throwing all of that at Colt is ridiculous. That's not building to a match or a feud. That's an actual lawsuit that happened between two people. It ended a friendship and probably caught all kinds of other people in the mix. That's just completely f'd up to be tossing things out about Colt's bank account with his mom (a lot of people have something like that set up if you want to move money between people/share assets/etc.) because that's just taking a shot at a dude in public who didn't take a shot at you. He also brought it all up without being prompted at all.  Fuck that.

* That's just bullying and total hypocrisy from some dude who spouts off pro-labor stuff. I'm pro-labor. But one of the things about labor issues is the power imbalance in workplaces. Punk has the power. He's the one at the press conference with a title sitting next to the owner of the company. You don't get that opportunity without having someone's ear. He could have just not mentioned the Colt stuff but went out of his way to spill that tea.

* I started watching AEW after Punk arrived. That was part of why but the main reason was because everyone on here and rasslin' fans I'm friends with IRL was talking about how good it was. And I lost interest in NXT and Raw/Smackdown. And I really like it! They put out a product I really enjoy watching. It's not perfect, but nothing is, and the pros are better than the cons. All of this is just such a waste of time and distraction from the actual good product they put out. I'd be so friggin' mad if I was The Acclaimed and Swerve/Keith Lee, for example. Or even someone like Orange Cassidy who has just been putting on these weirdo borderline masterpieces this year. Or Danny Garcia who has been bringing it. All of the good stuff everyone is doing is just getting eaten up by people having hissy fits and Tony Kahn not knowing how to manage people. 

  • Like 15
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is disrespectful to the other talents because Punk's shenanigans became the story over all the legit great matches and storylines that happened on Sunday night.

Punk started the whole thing at the press conference. He wanted retribution. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd have really liked to see MJF returning as a face against heel Punk. His goodbye promo (or the Long Island shows) showed he could rally the troops behind him and heel Punk could have been a brilliant foil for him. Especially after those last weeks. Let MJF tear the house down as a beloved face until he turns back heel for good and makes a mockery of all the fans suddenly cheering him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with this being a work is that it completely undercuts everything that happened with MJF.  You had a hot Wardlow ready to finish his storyline, then suddenly all the attention was on MJF's "shoot contract issues", and it killed a lot of Wardlow's momentum dead.  Took him weeks to recover because all anyone was talking about was "is MJF really gone???" instead of "Great Warldow vanquished his demon."  Then you have that whole angle set for what leads up to Sunday night, MJF returning after Tony begs him to come back and gives him what he wants, and he's got the title shot, and the crowd wants to see him jump up, even if the last match he worked looked like he gave notice to Watts, and not a fucking person is talking about MJF, it's all about Punk and The Elite.  What was the whole point of MJF"s last 4 months if this is the angle?

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd also be pissed as hell if I was MJF or his hired goons. I think his whole disappearance was a work from the start in order to get him off TV after he took the loss to Wardlaw while they built up a stable to engineer his diabolical return, but this time he does have a perspective you can root for with him -- Sympathy for the Devil. 

I just think it was poorly done. All of the stuff started leaking before the PPV. I get that you want to drive up interest in the PPV but the whole storyline for that was Wardlaw's opportunity to break free from MJF and become his own man. You really did not need the worked-shoot stuff, even if some of it was real. You just need every so often to mention "no one has seen or heard from MJF" to keep him in mind and then bring him back after he licked his wounds for a little bit.

They built up a good angle over time with Stokley assembling a weirdo hodgepodge of goons to feed it to The Joker. I think they messed up the reveal by having it come out the same night, along with the corny voicemail, but they did and clearly the story is MJF now looking to get the title from Punk while having more loyal evil henchmen. That's a really great wrestling trope.

But that's swallowed up by this, too. They had a scorching hot feud with killer matches. Now the interest in that is secondary.

Also, if they do turn this into a work, do you really need any sort of elaborate way to set-up CM Punk versus Kenny Omega as a hot feud? It's pretty friggin' easy to do that without everyone looking like an idiot. All you need is Kenny Omega saying he wants to come back for the title he made great. Boom. Easy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm speculating on this also from a sympathetic place, totally without snark: I very seriously wonder sometimes if Punk struggles with a personality disorder 

Mental health guy here.

They say that you aren't supposed to diagnose someone without a proper evaluation.  You can't go off a public persona.

That being said, personality disorders, especially in the Cluster B arena (borderline, narcissistic, antisocial, histrionic), are so beholden to their public presentation that it's very much a part of their diagnosis.

All that to say: VERY likely.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, madl said:

He is also 20 years older.  I don’t know the guy personally, but most of us grow up and react to situations very differently after we get a few decades of adulthood under our belt, have kids of our own, etc.  I don’t know why people think Trips is the exception to that.  

Yeah... most of us

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I'd also be pissed as hell if I was MJF or his hired goons. I think his whole disappearance was a work from the start in order to get him off TV after he took the loss to Wardlaw while they built up a stable to engineer his diabolical return, but this time he does have a perspective you can root for with him -- Sympathy for the Devil. 

I just think it was poorly done. All of the stuff started leaking before the PPV. I get that you want to drive up interest in the PPV but the whole storyline for that was Wardlaw's opportunity to break free from MJF and become his own man. You really did not need the worked-shoot stuff, even if some of it was real. You just need every so often to mention "no one has seen or heard from MJF" to keep him in mind and then bring him back after he licked his wounds for a little bit.

They built up a good angle over time with Stokley assembling a weirdo hodgepodge of goons to feed it to The Joker. I think they messed up the reveal by having it come out the same night, along with the corny voicemail, but they did and clearly the story is MJF now looking to get the title from Punk while having more loyal evil henchmen. That's a really great wrestling trope.

But that's swallowed up by this, too. They had a scorching hot feud with killer matches. Now the interest in that is secondary.

Also, if they do turn this into a work, do you really need any sort of elaborate way to set-up CM Punk versus Kenny Omega as a hot feud? It's pretty friggin' easy to do that without everyone looking like an idiot. All you need is Kenny Omega saying he wants to come back for the title he made great. Boom. Easy.

 

I get what you're saying, but did anyone really want to see MJF (heel) vs Punk (face) III in ring? That was my big problem with the angle. There are so many other more interesting matches for both guys when the bell has to ring.

I badly want to see them run MJF (c) vs Sting on top for the next PPV. Just saying.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I get what you're saying, but did anyone really want to see MJF (heel) vs Punk (face) III in ring? That was my big problem with the angle. There are so many other more interesting matches for both guys when the bell has to ring.

I badly want to see them run MJF (c) vs Sting on top for the next PPV. Just saying.

Oh yeah I agree with you. Running back MJF vs. Punk wouldn't be my first choice or second choice or etc. either. But that's what they did set up and now it's swallowed up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I get what you're saying, but did anyone really want to see MJF (heel) vs Punk (face) III in ring? That was my big problem with the angle. There are so many other more interesting matches for both guys when the bell has to ring.

I badly want to see them run MJF (c) vs Sting on top for the next PPV. Just saying.

I'd rather see neither but that's personal taste, but that's what you've spend 4 months on and after you spend the end shot of the PPV on it, it was never mentioned during that whole scrum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So MJF is totally aware of all of this and of this moment, AND he is aware of his rep of throwing fire and not being corporate and not holding back.

And he's speaking on Wednesday. They'll probably have to cut his mic relatively early in the promo and play it up as a legal thing (which it is!), or else he'll look pretty flimsy relative to what his character is supposed to be.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...