DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I would also be unhappy if I were Miro and especially Andrade. They've probably been the biggest examples of wasted talent in AEW to date. 

Miro getting hurt right when he was being pushed towards a belt was bad luck for him. He did get somewhat lost in the shuffle once he was better.

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I will remember this MJF slander upon his return and he's instantly a big deal. ?

MJF slander?!

giphy.gif

The articles about Miro being unhappy is tied to him liking a tweet about "Who the fuck is Mance Warner" getting a shot on a random Rampage, that started a flood of "Why the fuck do these unsigned people get on TV all the fucking time whilst all these people under contract barely see anything not YouTube" tweets to go along with it.  Take it with a grain of salt and it's well within Miro's character to troll online.  Andrade is always going to be miserable unless someone puts him in the same position he was in CMLL, and even then he wasn't happy (and I really haven't seen anything out of Andrade to indicate he's wanting to go back to Hunter).

• Like 4

Is Miro's absence from television a matter of him not being used/booked (outside of his sorta kinda redundant promos) or his health/other commitments? As @JLowe pointed out, it was obviously his health after he was peaking. 

One of the great things about AEW is their ability to build new stars (Darby, Sammy, MJF, Jungle Jack, Hangman) upon new stars (Yuta, Garcia, Takeshita). I hope my favorites remain in AEW, but if they don't - oh well! The talent pool in wrestling seems to be getting bigger and better. Especially when you consider the doors being opened right now by a Konsuke Takeshita. I don't see a shortage coming up before these contracts expire. And I could care less if AEW ever becomes number 1 in revenue, etc. They're number 1 creatively/artistically and that coupled with strong revenue is all I really care about. And none of that is to say it won't or can't change, but the structure of this company feels strong going forward for a long time to come.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Gargano and Ciampa are gonna be running that place before these guys' deals are up. Didn't Miro get extended for five years?

We're about to start seeing guys test Tony's willingness to give unhappy wrestlers their releases.

according to Malakai Black on his TikTok (lol) - up until about 3 months ago, he was dealing with a back injury that he thought might cause him to retire. For basically the past year he’s been rehabbing it and doing treatments, but it sounds like a “dry needling” session fixed it and he’s better now, I guess?

Might explain the start and stop stuff with Malakai/HoB related stories.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

according to Malakai Black on his TikTok (lol) - up until about 3 months ago, he was dealing with a back injury that he thought might cause him to retire. For basically the past year he’s been rehabbing it and doing treatments, but it sounds like a “dry needling” session fixed it and he’s better now, I guess?

Might explain the start and stop stuff with Malakai/HoB related stories.

That makes a ton of sense. There were a couple stretches of inactivity where the timing wouldnt necessarily have lined up with Pac being back home or Fenix's injury

• Like 1

I want to see Andrade and Miro do well in AEW because it's pretty much the only modern promotion I watch with any regularity and those two are among the best in the world. They both rule and I love watching them do their thing. Seems like when you have two of the best in the world you should use them as such but that's just me. How many tv matches has Andrade won? Feuds? At least Miro is booked strong when he's on tv. Andrade isn't booked often enough and he is pretty much always losing. Hopefully Los Ingos helps move him and Rush up the card fast. Mox is going to need somebody to fight at the ppv. Andrade is the kind of guy you put in that position but it's likelier he is working the Lucha Bros alongside Rush at All Out. Los Ingos really ought to win. I would be okay with evil Penta trying to kill his brudda in the aftermath as that team has kinda run its course for now. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Gargano and Ciampa are gonna be running that place before these guys' deals are up. Didn't Miro get extended for five years?

Why would anyone think that’s a good idea?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Gargano and Ciampa being on top? I'm right there with you, terrible idea.

This is what people wanted from Triple H WWE isn't it? Maybe not on here but for the most part, or am I that out of touch with WWE and how it's perceived?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

This is what people wanted from Triple H WWE isn't it? Maybe not on here but for the most part, or am I that out of touch with WWE and how it's perceived?

Oh no, it definitely is what his NXT dream was. And I want them to achieve it because I do not want to watch either one for as long as I possibly can.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Oh no, it definitely is what his NXT dream was. And I want them to achieve it because I do not want to watch either one for as long as I possibly can.

As much as I'm bummed that neither Shirai or Banks will be solving AEW's women division woes, I feel like if Gargano re-signs with WWE then it'll definitely take the sting off of those misses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

I would also be unhappy if I were Miro and especially Andrade. They've probably been the biggest examples of wasted talent in AEW to date. 

Yeah. Tony Khan should be ashamed, right? ?

Seriously: if anyone is unhappy in AEW and thinks they could do better elsewhere, I genuinely hope Tony Khan just cuts them free.

I popped hard for Miro's debut and enjoyed his run and want to see more of him in AEW and hope there is nothing to the rumours...

...but if he really wants out, let's not be petty about it. Wish him well. Let him go. Burn zero bridges.

I also really really hope AEW is keeping Bryan Danielson very happy. And Mox. And Yuta and Claudio. And Regal.

And Garcia. And JD Drake and Bear Country and Legit Leyla. And Darby.

I hope 2.0, the Gunn Club, Brody King, Buddy Matthews, FTR, Dante, Dustin, Fuego, Jungle Boy, Keith Lee, Comoroto, Fenix, Hayter, Emi, Shida, Storm, Kiera, Wardlow, Sonny Kiss, Starks, Sammy and Tay (yep), and Toa Liona are all tickled pink working there and have already told HHH as much.

But AEW should be the good guys here. Let the "grass is greener" folks find out for themselves whether it really is.

That being said...

If Eddie Kingston leaves to go to WWE, I will lose it completely.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

For somebody so positive you sure are petty. 

Anyway, in more important news:

He also posted a selfie of him wearing a Starlight Kid shirt. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

I agree Miro is probably doing his usual troll game, I suspect Andrade is less happy.

I am sure someone somewhere is wondering if they can trade someone to get Devitt. Quite possibly Finn Balor.

Whilst it's possibly a bit non-solidarity of me, I don't think it's really tenable for AEW to sign people to guaranteed money contracts and then just let them walk when they want. They're then basically having to renegotiate constantly. If WWE wanted Miro, hypothetically, then they can deal with AEW. Tony Khan is probably open to that, generally if not specifically.

• Like 2

Let’s not forget how much time Andrade spends with one of the biggest malcontents in the history of the business. His father in law is probably in his ear constantly about how much bigger of a star he should be. And to be fair, Andrade should be a bigger deal than he is…

• Like 3

Now that WWE probably wants some of its cut talent back and is seemingly interested in AEW talent beyond the usual suspects, it would be dumb for Tony Khan to just let guys out of contracts because they are unhappy and think the grass will be greener in Stamford.  If worse comes to worse, take a page out of Vince’s book and pay malcontents to stay home.

I am legit curious how much of the MJF thing is a work and how much is legit.  There’s been zero follow-up.  I tend to think everything since no-showing the fanfest is part of an angle, but the lack of follow-up has created a little doubt.

• Like 1

Andrade has been booked plenty. Way over exposed in fact. His angles absolutely suck. Whether that’s his fault or another’s, who knows. Dynamite ratings now down 15% YOY while Rampage plumbs new depths; even Carny Dave will be hard pressed to sell the “constant growth” narrative now. Wasted the Danielson/Punk signings momentum in the autumn - is what it is.