DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

They're also writing off $150M of their own completed movies and it's entirely possible they're nuking the entire platform, so...

Point well taken. I guess I wasn't following as closely as I thought! I thought it was just Batgirl and like six other movies that were already on there. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

They're also writing off $150M of their own completed movies and it's entirely possible they're nuking the entire platform, so...

It's kind of nuts to think this new entity won't have any streaming at all. The going expectation seems to be that HBO Max and Discovery+ will merge somehow.

• Like 1

EDIT: Dreaded double post allows me to say it's scripted TV that Discovery is axing, and they don't seem to count AEW in that. They threw the company a party when AEW was in LA, for Pete's sake.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

I wouldn't worry about Dynamite or Battle of the Belts, however Rampage ratings aren't very good compared to Dynamite.

I mean, I get that argument, but perspective is everything. Yes, it just drew it's lowest # since June, but it's usually a top 10 or 11 show out of 50 for the night on cable, no one does a great number on Friday except Smackdown which is on free TV with a start time two hours earlier, and a 23 year head start. Agree something needs to change with the formatting, but I don't think all is doom or gloom for Rampage just yet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dog said:

EDIT: Dreaded double post allows me to say it's scripted TV that Discovery is axing, and they don't seem to count AEW in that. They threw the company a party when AEW was in LA, for Pete's sake.

Yeah, Discovery loves the unscripted approach and AEW/Wrestling in general is the closest unscripted scripted program you can get

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

I wouldn't worry about Dynamite or Battle of the Belts, however Rampage ratings aren't very good compared to Dynamite.

Looking back, they should’ve considered doing the Barbed Wire match or the tag title switch on Rampage.

I personally think it’s a superior show to Dynamite: easier to watch, more enjoyable, etc. but they need important things to happen, even if it’s taped.

Did the Mox/Yuta show do well? That had a lot of word of mouth, right?

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Looking back, they should’ve considered doing the Barbed Wire match or the tag title switch on Rampage.

I personally think it’s a superior show to Dynamite: easier to watch, more enjoyable, etc. but they need important things to happen, even if it’s taped.

Did the Mox/Yuta show do well? That had a lot of word of mouth, right?

around 600k and 0.25 in 18-49

but then the following week they got bumped to an earlier time slot due to the NBA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

If you have AEW contract then you are with AEW even working for ROH shows, with ROH contract you have contract with the promotion ROH. Tony Khan may own both promotions, but they're separately owned promotions with different staff.

It's solid speculation with a pinch of the obvious, but assuming I'm correct and you don't work for that company it might be worth holding off on stating how operations are running. Kinda like when you boldly suggested that the bad tattoo logo of ROH 2021 wouldn't be changing for little to no actual reason. Claudio seems to be on an AEW contract. Will he be under a different 'ROH contract' when TV starts? I guess we'll see. Further, I mentioned several other examples of ROH guys whom we really don't know the structure of their contracts - Castle, the Boys, Woods, Caprice, Riccaboni, even the Briscoes. How this is going to play out structurely might be worth waiting and seeing before arguing your assumptions. 

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Comparing Dynamite to Rampage is a bit silly. Nobody internally or otherwise is expecting Dynamite numbers on Friday night at 10pm.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Haha 1

Latest on MJF
MJF has effectively vanished from the wrestling scene.

Fightful has followed up numerous times about where MJF has been since his post-Double or Nothing promo on AEW Dynamite. We've not heard from a single AEW talent or staffer that has admitted to hearing from him since then, and even plenty of people who have worked with him or are close to him have said that he's not communicated with them whatsoever.

We did confirm that after the promo on June 1, he remained in Los Angeles for several days conducting on-screen, non-wrestling related meetings. There was word last week that he was in New Jersey filming with cast members of Impractical Jokers, which is on TruTV, a Warner Bros. Discovery station. We've not confirmed if it's for that show or just with cast members.

Everyone that we've spoken to says that they've not overheard Tony Khan speak about MJF whatsoever since the June 1 promo. So far we haven't heard of anyone in wrestling that has said that they've even spoken to MJF since he left, either.

There are still some within the company that are of the belief that MJF is on his way out of the company, and wants to go to WWE. However, that isn't based on any information gained since the actual promo.

The latest on MJF from Fightful. I miss him. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dog said:

It's kind of nuts to think this new entity won't have any streaming at all. The going expectation seems to be that HBO Max and Discovery+ will merge somehow.

The new rumors I'm seeing, which I will say are fucking crazy but are gaining real traction... it's looking like Discovery is planning on shutting down HBO Max entirely. HBO would remain a cable channel and their properties would be integrated into Discovery Plus. And all HBO Max Originals would be scrapped. Trust me, I know how crazy that sounds. But more and more industry insiders are saying that they're hearing the same rumors.

Talk about hubris. Who the fuck thinks Discovery is a more known / valuble name & brand than HBO & HBO Max?? They are canning completely movies and canceling series that have already filmed. This merger is looking like a disaster.

That would shatter any illusions that HBO Max could be an option for AEW or ROH. Would Discovery Plus being a destination for either really even move the needle? I doubt it.

• Like 9

It's is fucking BAFFLING that Discovery is even looking at axing HBO Max. I know Max didn't have the best launch, but it's been one of my favorite streaming services since nearly Day 1 (ish). There's a shitton more older stuff I like on Max with it combining all WB owned channels. I mean, without Max, going beyond whatever happens with AEW, it would seem like a lot of stuff I care about, like all of the documentaries and even the upcoming Adventure Time spinoff, will just be totally cancelled.

Admittedly, it did seem like too good of a deal with paying the same $15 I was already paying for HBO Now, but then getting a ton more content. I'm guessing Discovery probably sees more value in killing Max, going back to HBO Now, and giving the other networks their own streaming platforms for another $5 to $10 a month.

tl;dr fuck Discovery. This merger is the worst.

• Like 5

Also, as for Rampage, it's on the worst night with one of the worst time slots. The fact that it does as many viewers as it does should be some kind of a small miracle.

• Like 4

The discovery slashes are pretty awful but they are talking about focusing purely on unscripted content (uh, wrestling would count in that I think despite the obvious) at least for their streaming service. But isn't Dave right in that ESPN is about the only other major player that could offer them more money? But then AEW wouldn't be catered to like they've been with TBS/TNT. Is there another option that fits? Aew massively outperformed their rights fee and should get a raise but who knows now. Shit sucks. WWE sleep walks into two ludicrous deals that boggle the mind and AEW likely gets pennies on the dollar.

Is the stuff about killing projects near completion similar to The Producers as was joked about on twitter? Wtf is the point of that? Slimy stuff. 

Wonder how deep Paramount's pockets are. I've heard great things about their streaming service, but the only thing I ever see airing on their linear cable channel are 24-hour Bar Rescue marathons with a smattering of Bond films. I've gotta imagine AEW would be the highest rated thing on their network since TNA.

Ultimate fantasy-world best case scenario: NBC buys WWE, breaches the Fox deal, and Fox gets Dynamite at 3/4 the cost of Smackdown because TK convinces them there's more NFL synergy or something. A boy can dream..

• Like 1

Discovery has a decent global sports portfolio with NBA, NHL, MLB, U.S. Soccer (starting next year), plus intl rights on golf and the Olympics. I presume AEW fits under the sports brand.

IIRC, AEW came aboard the Turner brand before AT&T took over, so it's not one of the HBO Max/Jason Kilar pet projects that David Zaslav wants to kill or gut.

• Like 3

From what I’ve read, the new regime didn’t think the film delivered the “spectacle” audiences want from superhero films.  It sounds like the issue was less the money already spent on the film and more the tens of millions that would have been spent on promotion.   

If reports are accurate, the cast and crew have already been paid and a lot of them will probably get bonuses.  IRRC, most movie contracts have language specifying streaming release, theatrical release, etc., so the studio will probably have to do something to make up for breaching the contracts. 

I’m sure some of the people involved feel bad, but stuff happens. I’ve been disappointed plenty of times in my professional career, but that’s the way life goes.  Moviemaking seems to be a precarious business with a lot of factors involved that are outside the director and actor’s control. Lots of careers get derailed by budgeting decisions, bad time slots, bad marketing, etc.  This is a little different but not that much.  

I’d be curious to see the film.  I feel like it would have least made it to HBO Max unless it was terrible or someone had a vendetta.  But, it’s not my intellectual property and I’m not going to be any worse off if the studio won’t show it to me.  It’s theirs to deal with as they please.  I mostly feel like Batgirl is just the latest example of toxic fandom being toxic.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

The distinction between "HBO Max shuts down" and "HBO Max merges with Discovery+" seems to be semantic. Streaming competition is so cutthroat now, companies want as much content as possible. The existing HBO Max stuff has to migrate over; you don't just throw that away.

Dave sounds overly pessimistic. The real result here is that AEW won't get as big of a rights fee increase as they would have a year ago.

• Like 3