Jump to content

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion


Recommended Posts

Anyone ever seen Bockwinkel vs. Steamboat? I know they did title vs. title with DQ finishes at least a handful of times in 79 when Steamboat had the TV title. I don't know how it would be, but I feel like it would be really fun.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Octopus said:

Derp:

Five favorite Steamboat matches? Different opponent per answer. Derp

 

Yerp! Steamboat vs Misawa. It really happened.

As did this:

 

 

This one holds up well even out of context, I think:

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm late to this week's Dynamite episode.

Trying to watch on Fite - starting the episode with a "no signal" message, and then cuts into what seems to be halfway thru the Brody King/Darby match. I'm going to assume this is an error and not to watch it from that point?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I'm late to this week's Dynamite episode.

Trying to watch on Fite - starting the episode with a "no signal" message, and then cuts into what seems to be halfway thru the Brody King/Darby match. I'm going to assume this is an error and not to watch it from that point?

Same here. It seems like it picked up right before the first commercial break. Fite seems to have a habit of not correcting any of that stuff, so I had no option but start watching from that point. Hopefully YouTube will come to the rescue at some point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Swift said:

Booking a trip to Ireland and I'll be staying in Ballydehob, a village in County Cork. I was wandering around on Streetview and it turns out it's the birthplace of Danno O'Mahony, NWA World champion in the 30s and the person who the Irish Whip is named after.

ie191.jpg

Then I remembered I'd seen a statue of a wrestler in Sneem, County Kerry decades ago. That was Steve Casey, a Boston AWA world champion in the 30s and 40s, looking like one of those toy soldiers with molded base.

ie208.jpg

Turns out there's a whole bunch of pro wrestling statues around the world - https://ringthedamnbell.wordpress.com/2022/01/11/immortalized-professional-wrestling-monuments-around-the-world/ (the Baba is great)

Anyone know of others?

Not a Statue but Randy Poffo got a plac in Downers Grove North hall of fame Randy Savage | The Forgotten Baseball Career of Randy Poffo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, zendragon said:

What was the second WCW Thunderdome cage match? Not the 89 one with Flair and Muta

Other WCW "Thunderdome" or "Thundercage" matches I remember off the top of my head are a 6 man cage match between The York Foundation vs Big Josh/Z-man/Dustin that was aired on the Main Event & Pro and the main event of the January 93 Clash with the Cactus Jack face turn. 

 

Here's the York Foundation 6-man

 

Edited by Infinit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

"Hey you wanna laugh....last week this fan asked me to get in the pic.  yeah 30 thousand i charge ya..!" 

298346247_5235793729858823_6217586901801

I bitched and said I wouldn't pay to meet someone yet I just paid $90 and am meeting Goldberg tomorrow.  Hopefully I won't be more than 3 Gillberg sparkler lengths from him.  Wil let you guys know how it goes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Gordlow said:

 

Yerp! Steamboat vs Misawa. It really happened.

As did this:

 

 

This one holds up well even out of context, I think:

 

 

Great choices. It can be argued that it was the Steamboat-Austin feud that really helped put Austin on the map. Might go back and watch those matches tonight to see how they hold up.

As a kid I never forgot Clash XX when they did the Anthem while in the ring and Paul E was talking to Austin the whole time.  Ever the business man.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Segunda Caida: still the most influential force in wrestling

 

Wilde ironically was the one who told me about this site. I used to lurk for literally a decade+.  repeated. He told me about the site ironically before his first match with IWC, Hacksaw was on the card and that was when Wilde/Shima told me about Hacksaw and the infamous blender story which is best not repeated. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Other WCW "Thunderdome" or "Thundercage" matches I remember off the top of my head are a 6 man cage match between The York Foundation vs Big Josh/Z-man/Dustin that was aired on the Main Event & Pro and the main event of the January 93 Clash with the Cactus Jack face turn. 

 

Here's the York Foundation 6-man

 

Holy shit thank you for posting this!! I never even heard of it.

 

Also Superbrawl IV had the thunder cage six man that was pretty good if I remember. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Wilde ironically was the one who told me about this site. I used to lurk for literally a decade+.  repeated. He told me about the site ironically before his first match with IWC, Hacksaw was on the card and that was when Wilde/Shima told me about Hacksaw and the infamous blender story which is best not repeated. 

You're talking about the same Pittsburgh promotions as that other guy, namedropping like the other guy, your writing is just like that other guy's, you do multiple posts in a row like that other guy, fly off the handle like that other guy ... but you're not that other guy.

Got it.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dog said:

You're talking about the same Pittsburgh promotions as that other guy, namedropping like the other guy, your writing is just like that other guy's, you do multiple posts in a row like that other guy, fly off the handle like that other guy ... but you're not that other guy.

Got it.

Here we go with the bullying shit again. So I can't drive 3 hrs to meet a wrestler that never does appearances in Ohio? I have to check with you first? 

 

Seriously admins or mods or whoever runs this place, I'm getting sick of the bullying shit. I am not "the other guy"  Not sure how else to prove it but I am sick of the bullshit accusations and the gang style bullying. You locked the last thread and I haven't done anything to push anyones buttons yet people keep bringing this same shit up.  At one point will a mod step in and make this shit stop? I am a wrestling fan which is why I am here.  Are you going to allow this toxic, bullying shit to continue?  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that was pretty insensitive to people who are actually bullied. I made some observations and an insinuation. I don't remember ever otherwise interacting with the Pedro account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2022 at 7:10 PM, (BP) said:

Where I live everyplace is named after the local indigenous peoples or the settlers who murdered them, so I’m always tickled by the awesome names of towns and counties in the UK.

Whereas I live in New England, and... yeah they basically named every town after a preexisting one across the pond 😂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dog said:

I think that was pretty insensitive to people who are actually bullied. I made some observations and an insinuation. I don't remember ever otherwise interacting with the Pedro account.

you admitted to reading my posts than you obviously knew the thread had been closed, you saw the other people all ganging up to the point that another poster here even called them on the shit, I let it go, yet here we are again. Enough with the shit. It's a wrestling site. I didn't come here to argue about some dude who was banned for god knows what. 

 

How many times to I have to say it  I didn't know Cogar til recently and I'm a fan.  I have no issues with Brit Baker.  I live on the east coast and go to shows as I'm sure many here do.  So that automatically makes people come after me?  Crazy world. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Gordlow I've never seen that Boston Garden match with Bret, I'm really excited about it. I have the first Bret box set but not the second, and I'm too young to have seen it on TV so for whatever reason this one was never on my radar. I can't watch it until later on, but I'm already stoked based solely on the fact the video's 18 mins long.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a mod...but guys y'all need to chill. This isn't a good look for anyone who lurks and might want to actively join our community. Cut it out before this gets locked again. Please and thanks.

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a tip: Click on your user name in the top right corner, click on the Ignored Users option, and enter the usernames of people who irritate you in the "Ignore" field. I've done it. My board viewing experience is better for it. 

I like this thread and would prefer that it remain open. 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Thanks Gordlow I've never seen that Boston Garden match with Bret, I'm really excited about it. I have the first Bret box set but not the second, and I'm too young to have seen it on TV so for whatever reason this one was never on my radar. I can't watch it until later on, but I'm already stoked based solely on the fact the video's 18 mins long.

So, it was great as expected. Even the way they hit the ropes in this one was intense. There was really good limb work from both, as well as like a pretty surprisingly modern section on the apron and at ringside. Another cool thing was watching how Bret was still kind of working out certain things - like, for example, he did the signature sternum bump to the turnbuckle, but he also did a couple other really crisp, good ones where he hit like with his shoulder/side. It was like hearing an early demo version of a hit song with different lyrics, or something. Like at some point, he must have worked out like, 'alright, top rope elbow is out, middle rope forearms in' then evolved it into 'alright, gonna wait til the last 1/4 of the match for that one.' Steamboat was doing some really cool shit too, particularly this one sequence where they're hitting the ropes (hard, as noted) and he keeps sliding under Bret's legs, like 2 or 3x in a row before he snatches him. Highly, highly recommend (though I have a sneaking suspicion I'm the last person here to see it).

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

So, it was great as expected. Even the way they hit the ropes in this one was intense. There was really good limb work from both, as well as like a pretty surprisingly modern section on the apron and at ringside. Another cool thing was watching how Bret was still kind of working out certain things - like, for example, he did the signature sternum bump to the turnbuckle, but he also did a couple other really crisp, good ones where he hit like with his shoulder/side. It was like hearing an early demo version of a hit song with different lyrics, or something. Like at some point, he must have worked out like, 'alright, top rope elbow is out, middle rope forearms in' then evolved it into 'alright, gonna wait til the last 1/4 of the match for that one.' Steamboat was doing some really cool shit too, particularly this one sequence where they're hitting the ropes (hard, as noted) and he keeps sliding under Bret's legs, like 2 or 3x in a row before he snatches him. Highly, highly recommend (though I have a sneaking suspicion I'm the last person here to see it).

It's on the first Bret Hart set WWE put out, which is probably where most of us caught it, maybe? Yeah, it's excellent. Bret talked this match up in his book, too.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

It's on the first Bret Hart set WWE put out, which is probably where most of us caught it, maybe? Yeah, it's excellent. Bret talked this match up in his book, too.

Yeah, I had the Bret set and saw it on there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2022 at 8:08 PM, Octopus said:

Derp:

Five favorite Steamboat matches? Different opponent per answer. Derp

In order:

5. Ricky Steamboat vs. Bret Hart. WWF, 8th March 1986.

4. Ricky Steamboat vs. Steve Austin. WCW Clash of the Champions XXVIII.

3. Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage. WWF WrestleMania III. *****.

2. Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude. WCW Beach Blast 1992. *****. Best Iron Man match ever.

1. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair. NWA Clash of the Champions VI. *****.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...