DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

11 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Edinburgh nightclub meme: What was being said - BBC News

"SO YOU SEE, EVERYONE IN THE PITTSBURGH INDY SCENE HATES BRITT BAKER. SHE ALWAYS THOUGHT SHE WAS TOO GOOD FOR ME. NEVER SAYING HELLO TO ME AND HER OUTFITS AND WHAT NOT. I'M NOT SAYING THIS PERSONALLY, BUT I TOTALLY HEAR SHE SLEPT HER WAY TO THE TOP, BRO."

CB33-B4-D4-A85-B-4-B11-831-A-50-AD47-DAB

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

19 minutes ago, Pedro said:

never even heard of him. Are you accusing me of being him?

He's a Deathmatch wrestler from Cleveland, he's a part of Ricky Shane Page's 44OH group. Handsome young sleazebag guy.

Just now, AxB said:

He's a Deathmatch wrestler from Cleveland, he's a part of Ricky Shane Page's 44OH group. Handsome young sleazebag guy.

I remember Ricky from Faith n Nothing days maybe a bit after but that's it. I follow mostly AIW, IWC, ROH, NJPW, AAA, WWE, AEW, for the most part. I'l watch the occasional indy on iwtv  but would much rather watch stuff from 2001-2005ish Indy wise   and late 80's NWA, WWF 

• Like 1

If I ever pay $130 dollars to meet someone at a convention, and I say this without shade for people who enjoy doing this sort of thing at conventions, please sit down and have a serious talk with me.

I like to waste my money on things other than pictures with celebs, like Steam Decks or lottery tickets or stupid trinkets from tourist trap trinket shops. 

But if I did do this, and the female celeb was like, "please stand over there, dudes are weird sometimes, not saying you're weird, but no offense," I'd be like, "yeah" and stand my skinny little ass over wherever she was pointing because I'm not a stupid jackass.

Well, not completely. 

On another note, once I went to a party and someone mentioned that they liked wrestling, and I didn't say anything, and then they said that they loved Bret Hart as a kid, and I was like I LOVED BRET HART AS A KID TOO and it didn't scare anyone away because we starting naming things we liked from childhood in general and everyone nearby joined in and it was a nice little trip down nostalgia lane. So you know, it's not ALL bad if it ever happens that pro wrestling comes up at a party. We didn't scare anyone away and I still ended up getting a phone number and a whole short-term fling with a nice young lady out of the whole experience even though I really just went with a friend who knew the people there and not in search of anything like that. 

One more reason the Hitman is the G.O.A.T. in my book. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I always think it's this one couple from 90 Day Fiance, my better half got way into it over the pandemic

I also blame my wife when mentioning shows I’m embarrassed to love.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, Octopus said:

I also blame my wife when mentioning shows I’m embarrassed to love.

Ya got me, I should've gone with the ol' "I was doing research for when AEW is on Discovery+ look out for my post about it."

Some of the folks on that show would be great heel managers in another timeline, I'll say that much.

• Like 1

the South Park 25th anniversary commercial just made me realize that the 25th anniversary of me regularly watching wrestling is coming up (around October)

I remember seeing some stuff that already had it's 25th anniversary through WWF Superstars being on WGN (I remember seeing Bret forming the Hart Foundation) and Bret Hart being on the Simpsons happened in April 1997.

Wonder if Bret Hart getting a cameo on the Simpsons when it was being viewed in 8 million households sorta helped out in building momentum for the WWF that people didn't realize was there until Tyson.

• Like 3

In general I'd say that if you spend $130 to have a picture taken with someone you shouldn't have to do so at a distance... but I've seen way too many pictures of wrestling ladies at these types of signings where I was creeped out sitting at my desk thousands of miles away so I think I'm okay with it in this case.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't see a lot of arguing there.

It's true. Good Lord the atmosphere is positive and joyful at the pro wrestling parties I have been to over here. They treat me like family. Real "if you're her friend then you are also my friend" stuff. It's been too long. Planning to go to a BBQ with Kuuga and his ( many many) friends in September. Looking forward to it sooooo much.

Discussion over here, too, even online discussion, tends toward looking for and celebrating points of common interest rather than arguing, debating, wanting to be right and others to be wrong. It's obviously affected my outlook on life and wrestling and so on, after living here 13 years. Quite possibly for the better.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, elizium said:

Maybe, but I'm not sure too many people decided to check out wrestling because one guy smelled old man stink

at least the Simpsons cameo worked better with Bret as a heel

One interesting thing that probably got lost in the shuffle post-Survivor Series 97 is that the WWF went through Virginia and North Carolina and were drawing pretty well compared to their norms in that area.

7400 in Richmond for a House Show, 13000 in Greenboro for the first show in 7 years, 8200 in Hampton fir a house show, 8000 in Fayetteville for Raw, and then 6500 in Roanoke.

They drew 1700 in Greensboro in October 1990. They drew 4400 in Richmond in November 1996 for a house show and then 9300 for Cold Day In Hell.

Could argue that going into Crockett County and having success helped motivate them to go to Greensboro for Unforgiven and the next day in Hampton for Raw, which turned out to have a memorable moment.

I guess trying to figure out how much the WWF was actually drawing in 1997 might be sorta hard since they managed to have like every other RAW taping from Canada for the summer of 1997.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, username said:

In general I'd say that if you spend $130 to have a picture taken with someone you shouldn't have to do so at a distance... but I've seen way too many pictures of wrestling ladies at these types of signings where I was creeped out sitting at my desk thousands of miles away so I think I'm okay with it in this case.

Putting aside the "person probably smells like a city garbage truck just passed by" personal hygiene aspect, I would say that being in the same picture is much better than the 25,000 feet you were apart before you met said celebrity. Maybe it's because we're in the age where you can incessantly troll celebrities all day long before they block you, but I am more weirded out by the fact people get as excited and have the same respect meeting a name celebrity as they do their city alderman. In the olden days before social media, a celebrity would tell you to fuck off and there would be no picture at all even if was a meet and greet. Either that or their personal security would get in front of you before you tried to confront them. 

After the murder of Christina Grimmie (which by the way, wasn't that long ago), I'm surprised people are allowed to get anywhere near a celebrity of any magnitude. You never know when you're meeting some person who just wrote a manifesto.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

It's true. Good Lord the atmosphere is positive and joyful at the pro wrestling parties I have been to over here. They treat me like family. Real "if you're her friend then you are also my friend" stuff. It's been too long. Planning to go to a BBQ with Kuuga and his ( many many) friends in September. Looking forward to it sooooo much.

Discussion over here, too, even online discussion, tends toward looking for and celebrating points of common interest rather than arguing, debating, wanting to be right and others to be wrong. It's obviously affected my outlook on life and wrestling and so on, after living here 13 years. Quite possibly for the better.

I enjoy reading articles in which other cultures are bemused by American likes and dislikes w/r/t arts and entertainment. Like when I read an article that compiled Japanese video game enthusiast's general thoughts about how much Americans hate Tingle, for example 

On that note, what would you say confuses, bemuses, and generally tickles the fancy of Japanese wrestling fans about American wrestling fans' pro wrestling likes and dislikes?

• Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Putting aside the "person probably smells like a city garbage truck just passed by" personal hygiene aspect, I would say that being in the same picture is much better than the 25,000 feet you were apart before you met said celebrity. Maybe it's because we're in the age where you can incessantly troll celebrities all day long before they block you, but I am more weirded out by the fact people get as excited and have the same respect meeting a name celebrity as they do their city alderman. In the olden days before social media, a celebrity would tell you to fuck off and there would be no picture at all even if was a meet and greet. Either that or their personal security would get in front of you before you tried to confront them. 

After the murder of Christina Grimmie (which by the way, wasn't that long ago), I'm surprised people are allowed to get anywhere near a celebrity of any magnitude. You never know when you're meeting some person who just wrote a manifesto.

I've talked about my past life on here before, but that social media comment, whew. I deleted my old Twitter account in 2018 but before I did so I was around 4-5,000 followers due to the ultra-niche following I had, and it was insufferable.

Have you ever seen that tweet about how someone can tweet out "I like pancakes", and someone else will respond with "SO THAT MEANS YOU HATE WAFFLES THEN?!" Can confirm, once you get above a certain follower count, that's 100% true. It's like people forget you're a human being because you're just words on a screen or something they've watched. Or worse, they think you owe them something because they watched you. It's something that made me very glad my ultra-niche fame was just that - ultra-niche. And it also makes me glad it's over and my current Twitter is far more manageable.

I remember going out to dinner with a friend way more famous than me, and the meal was interrupted at least ten times by people wanting autographs from him. Could you imagine if you were sitting there and you couldn't get through a meal without ten different people coming up to you asking you to sign something for them? Or just ten different people coming up to you in general? He told me it's a tradeoff for the life he gets to live and he's come to accept it, and as long as they're polite he'll let it go, but it was fascinating to see how many people thought this was a perfectly normal thing to do. And of course, it doesn't matter how many times you sign the autographs for the polite ones, or how many times you're kind to the people interrupting your meal, thanks to social media all it takes is to blow off one rude person and suddenly you get painted as a jackass.

But the thought that just because you pay a fee to someone, you should be entitled to do whatever you want with them... makes my skin crawl a little. Oh no, you didn't get to do the prom pose with someone just because you paid a fee set by a convention to take a picture with them. How ever will you live.

Ok, I paid money so this is what we’re gonna do I stand directly behind you and we hug in a totally wholesome not creepy midwestern prom date kind of way I wear your shirt all the time and like your poster my two favorite posters are the one I have next to my shelf where you’re thinking about what wrestling move your gonna do and the other one I keep next to my human skin lamp where you just won the title and I’m so proud of how far you’ve came I feel like a big brother to you and I paid money so we can take a picture of us hugging. 

• Haha 11

Just now, Octopus said:

Ok, I paid money so this is what we’re gonna do I stand directly behind you and we hug in a totally wholesome not creepy midwestern prom date kind of way I wear your shirt all the time and like your poster my two favorite posters are the one I have next to my shelf where you’re thinking about what wrestling move your gonna do and the other one I keep next to my human skin lamp where you just won the title and I’m so proud of how far you’ve came I feel like a big brother to you and I paid money so we can take a picture of us hugging. 

Debate me coward

• Like 1