Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022


Recommended Posts

From a sheer match quality standpoint, there's nothing I'm looking forward to nearly as much as Mox vs Danielson or MJF vs Punk from the last one or Danielson vs Miro or Punk vs Kingston from the one before. Honestly I'm probably looking forward to Anarchy in the Arena the most and maybe cautiously optimistic about the Deeb match second. That said, there are a couple of story builds that are pretty good here. They just happen to have Mox, Kingston, Danielson and Garcia all in one match and Darby and Andrade and FTR and a few other guys not even on the card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anna Jay vs. Jade Cargill for the TBS Title has been made official per the AEW twitter. Also appears it may be a main card match as I see nothing denoting it being a Buy-In match.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they don’t have a Casino Battle Royale I’m going to be a little upset. But I’m thinking the Owen Hart tournament replaces that, with the winners getting title shots eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who really knows at this point. They might throw one on there last minute. Speaking of, not digging how many matches are getting announced so close to the PPV. They normally have things setup a little sooner. Like MJF vs Wardlow has had the proper build for sure. HOB vs DT getting tossed on last night seems haphazard. As does Bucks vs Hardys getting announced only a week out. And the TBS Title match out of blue for Anna Jay with zero TV matches since what that hardcore women's street fight? Hell the Women's Owen Finals won't be set until two days before the PPV.

Not sure why the timing on this one seems so thrown together. I'm still expecting a good show. But wasn't the point of fewer PPVs to really announce in advance and advertise and give everything that old school important feel? That isn't happening here.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Not sure why the timing on this one seems so thrown together. I'm still expecting a good show. But wasn't the point of fewer PPVs to really announce in advance and advertise and give everything that old school important feel? That isn't happening here.

Tony bought ROH and put together Forbidden Door since the last PPV, so I’d figure that a lot of the planning for the spring was in a state of flux. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Who really knows at this point. They might throw one on there last minute. Speaking of, not digging how many matches are getting announced so close to the PPV. They normally have things setup a little sooner. Like MJF vs Wardlow has had the proper build for sure. HOB vs DT getting tossed on last night seems haphazard. As does Bucks vs Hardys getting announced only a week out. And the TBS Title match out of blue for Anna Jay with zero TV matches since what that hardcore women's street fight? Hell the Women's Owen Finals won't be set until two days before the PPV.

Not sure why the timing on this one seems so thrown together. I'm still expecting a good show. But wasn't the point of fewer PPVs to really announce in advance and advertise and give everything that old school important feel? That isn't happening here.

Seems like they  suddenly said "oh shit, we don't have anything for the Hardys or the Young Bucks, we've been so busy using them in other programs!". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Seems like they  suddenly said "oh shit, we don't have anything for the Hardys or the Young Bucks, we've been so busy using them in other programs!". 

My guess is that they had this slotted from the moment they knew Jeff was coming in. In fact, I'd figure the opposite, that because it was slotted and because it has a "dream match" feel to it, they felt like they didn't need to do a whole lot with the build or it just became an afterthought.

Re: the tag titles, while I'm sure we'd all want FTR to just take them or some other regular team, there are worse things than Hobbs/Starks getting them now and Jungle Boy building to a TNT title win at the next PPV. I don't think it'd hurt the prestige even if FTR gets them again later this year and it'd do a lot of good for Hobbs and Starks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JLowe said:

Seems like they  suddenly said "oh shit, we don't have anything for the Hardys or the Young Bucks, we've been so busy using them in other programs!". 

hate to be that guy that tells people to watch supplemental programming but this has been building on Being The Elite for weeks and weeks 😅

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Casey said:

hate to be that guy that tells people to watch supplemental programming but this has been building on Being The Elite for weeks and weeks 😅

giphy.gif

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like their way of only announcing TV matches within a week of the show, as it feels organic and not so clearly staged. If it's kind of the same way with a PPV? Cool with me. One thing I really didn't enjoy with WWE television is they'd announce a PPV match between two people and then it'd just be three or four weeks of those people interacting every damn show but ultimately being like, "...and I'll get my chance at Hell In A Cell" or some similarly brainless shit. AEW has a pretty strong, built-in audience who knows that the big show's probably gonna deliver. They don't need to announce 75% of the matches ahead of time. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

They don't need to announce 75% of the matches ahead of time. 

Strongly disagree. One of the big selling points of fewer PPVs is more time to tell stories properly. To make things feel important and special. And to make everything feel important and special, not just the main events.

Just because the matches will most likely be very good regardless, does not mean we should give them a free pass for not trying. AEW has shown to be very good at long form story telling and paying off stories. Give me more Hangman v Omega. Give me more MJF v Punk. Give me more MJF v Wardlow. These long stories with the matches set up with plenty of time to get advertised and feel important by the time the PPV hits.

For DON there was a good three weeks where only one match had been announced. I'm not sure if it's because of The Owen Tournament pacing or what. But they did a full on WWE build this time. Oh shit the PPV is two weeks away. Guess we gotta start booking matches for it. Just because the matches will be good, doesn't mean we should let it slide that the effort isn't there this time.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Strongly disagree. One of the big selling points of fewer PPVs is more time to tell stories properly.

The stories are definitely being told, it's just that the actual matches don't seem to be announced until near the event, so we both kinda get what we enjoy? 😂 I hear ya, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as they’re selling most/all of the tickets the moment they go on sale, I don’t think there’s really any need to announce the card well in advance. I would wager that most of the PPV buying audience is composed of people who either A) are hardcore fans who are going to be buying the shows, no matter what, or B) people making decisions in the last week or two before the show. This isn’t the 90’s, when (depending on your provider) you had to make some level of effort to watch a PPV (I remember having to go pick up the special cable box in the 80’s/early 90’s); now you just press a button and it’s done. You can impulse buy this shit. And, to that end, there’s actually probably some value to announcing major matches in the week before the show as an additional prompt.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strongly disagree again.

It's irrelevant how easy the events are to order. How are PPVs more special than an episode of Dynamite when the matches don't have a story behind them? What gives a viewer (beyond the hardcore instant buyers like us) the incentive to pay for a PPV vs just waiting and watching the TV for free if it's all the same? If you're just throwing out matches the week of the event then why are there only 4 PPVs? TK's been very public about the purpose behind having only 4 PPVs. To have time to tell longer stories and have proper build like they used to. It's a counter to the WWE style of throwing matches out within the week of a PPV.

I do understand your point. The event is sold out. It's hard to criticize that in the current moment. But that's not going to last forever. And the downturn will come quicker than they expect if they let their foot off the gas and mail it in like this. WCW 1998 was selling out everywhere based off of 1997's hard work. But 1999 WCW tanked based off of 1998 WCW starting to mail it in. And 2000 was irredeemable based off of 1999 WCW. If you don't learn from history you're doomed to repeat it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Casey said:

hate to be that guy that tells people to watch supplemental programming but this has been building on Being The Elite for weeks and weeks 😅

Ah. The 4.5ish hours of the actual wrestling shows is about my limit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Strongly disagree again.

It's irrelevant how easy the events are to order. How are PPVs more special than an episode of Dynamite when the matches don't have a story behind them? What gives a viewer (beyond the hardcore instant buyers like us) the incentive to pay for a PPV vs just waiting and watching the TV for free if it's all the same? If you're just throwing out matches the week of the event then why are there only 4 PPVs? TK's been very public about the purpose behind having only 4 PPVs. To have time to tell longer stories and have proper build like they used to. It's a counter to the WWE style of throwing matches out within the week of a PPV.
 

But…virtually all of these matches have weeks, if not months, of story behind them?

Looking at this card, I’ve got Jade vs. Anna Jay as the only match that seems to have been plucked from the ether at the last minute. Hardys/Bucks doesn’t have much TV time behind it, but is very much an IYKYK match with their history together and has been built elsewhere, as previously mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bucks and Hardys I'll grant you has history to rely on. The TBS Title match has zero story. JAS vs Eddie and Santant & Ortiz has a strong build. But BCC being involved has all of what 2 TV segments? HOB v Death Triangle have had what 1 interaction on TV since the last PPV? (Fenix's return). Well I guess they ran off HOB in that Julia Hart segment too. So 2 TV segments. But that's not much story that's been developed. The Owens are tournaments and don't need much story. But sooooo much of the TV has been built around getting to those two matches. Like 3-4 matches a show for the last month.

Guess it's just me being too literal in wanting things officially announced and a refined & deliberate push to advertise everything to make everything feel special. What actually feels special for this show to you? In my opinion the only things with a special feel are Wardlow vs MJF and the two Owen matches. But again that's just an opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Bucks and Hardys I'll grant you has history to rely on. The TBS Title match has zero story. JAS vs Eddie and Santant & Ortiz has a strong build. But BCC being involved has all of what 2 TV segments? HOB v Death Triangle have had what 1 interaction on TV since the last PPV? (Fenix's return). Well I guess they ran off HOB in that Julia Hart segment too. So 2 TV segments. But that's not much story that's been developed. The Owens are tournaments and don't need much story. But sooooo much of the TV has been built around getting to those two matches. Like 3-4 matches a show for the last month.

Guess it's just me being too literal in wanting things officially announced and a refined & deliberate push to advertise everything to make everything feel special. What actually feels special for this show to you? In my opinion the only things with a special feel are Wardlow vs MJF and the two Owen matches. But again that's just an opinion.

HOB/Death Triangle has gone on since before the last PPV so while nothing major in the immediate build (the aforementioned segments) there is a long going story since last year there, and the little bit of story we've gotten have been big (Fenix being injured definitely threw a curveball in the feud development).

I do understand where you are coming from though NFJF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Bucks and Hardys I'll grant you has history to rely on. The TBS Title match has zero story. JAS vs Eddie and Santant & Ortiz has a strong build. But BCC being involved has all of what 2 TV segments? HOB v Death Triangle have had what 1 interaction on TV since the last PPV? (Fenix's return). Well I guess they ran off HOB in that Julia Hart segment too. So 2 TV segments. But that's not much story that's been developed. The Owens are tournaments and don't need much story. But sooooo much of the TV has been built around getting to those two matches. Like 3-4 matches a show for the last month.

Guess it's just me being too literal in wanting things officially announced and a refined & deliberate push to advertise everything to make everything feel special. What actually feels special for this show to you? In my opinion the only things with a special feel are Wardlow vs MJF and the two Owen matches. But again that's just an opinion.

While Punk-Hangman has only been official for a few weeks, I figured that match was on the minute that Punk signalled for title right after Revolution. Now, it's been a fairly unique build in that two face wrestlers have kind of been acting like assholes during the build, but a positive spin on that is that both guys are all business and desperately want to win.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s gonna have to be at least one angle for forbidden door, right? Who does everyone think? I’m gonna say Okada comes out after the main, even if there won’t be a singles title match at fd. Can’t wait to fly to Vegas!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adam Page vs. CM Punk is my pick.

Honourable mentions to House of Black vs. Death Triangle and Blackpool Combat Club/Eddie Kingston/Santana and Ortiz vs. Jericho Appreciation Society.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign me up on team “announce well in advance.”

Theyve also gotten more lax with announcing TV cards in advance in the past couple of months.

Optically, to me, it feels like Tony has a lot of shit going on and isn’t being as strategic with his booking as he was previously. That may not be true, but the last thing in the world I want out of AEW is for it to wind up on the same “just trying to get through this one and on to the next show” operational treadmill as WWE. That sucks. 

I think that’s why a few of us are nervous about what we’re seeing lately.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...