DVDVR Message Board

Fallout 4?

Gonzo

It came out when my 360 got the 3 red lights and I was unemployed for awhile, so I went like a year without playing games at all. Missed a bunch of stuff.

Hell, you can probably get some "Game of the Year" edition with all the DLC for about $10 by now.

I know. But you guys have heard about my backlog, right? I can't add a 60+ hour game to it, especially one that outdated.

It came out when my 360 got the 3 red lights and I was unemployed for awhile, so I went like a year without playing games at all. Missed a bunch of stuff.

Hell, you can probably get some "Game of the Year" edition with all the DLC for about $10 by now.

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Xbox-360/dp/B001REZLY8/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1_gam?ie=UTF8&qid=1433355367&sr=8-1&keywords=fallout+3+game+of+the+year+edition

$9.99 today on Amazon.

Well, I'll be purchasing that later today. My copy got damaged by my cousins. Been dying to replay this for at least 2 years.

Dude, it's probably better than most of the stuff in your backlog.

Also, 60+ hours will quickly turn into 100+ hours, I'm telling you that right now. 

Also, 60+ hours will quickly turn into 100+ hours, I'm telling you that right now.

That could still be low end. Also, I'm rather sure Fallout 3 is a better game then anything since GTA V

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Xbox-360/dp/B001REZLY8/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1_gam?ie=UTF8&qid=1433355367&sr=8-1&keywords=fallout+3+game+of+the+year+edition

$9.99 today on Amazon.

Well dammit.

Hello newest entry into my pile of shame, I'll see you in the mail in 2 days,

• Like 1

BUT SHE WAS INDOCTRINATED THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!

Fixed.

Do we really wanna turn the Fallout thread to more mass effect ending bullshit?

That is the worst thread DVDVR has had in 5 years so please stop.

I can almost promise one our monthy wrestling discussions were worse.

Anyway, Fallout 4. Any predictions how they handle leveling up? I mean I'd be stunned if they went away from perks, but any chance they go to a Skyrim style leveling up system in your guys opinion?

I sort of curious about this series after seeing how into most of you seem to be. Can someone tell me some stuff about it? Story? What else it might compare to otherwise? Do I need to play the first two before the 3rd game?

I sort of curious about this series after seeing how into most of you seem to be. Can someone tell me some stuff about it? Story? What else it might compare to otherwise? Do I need to play the first two before the 3rd game?

Skyrim in a Post Apocalypse America. The first 2 games took place in California, 3rd took place in Washington D.C., New Vegas (shock of shocks) in Las Vegas, and this one in Boston. You don't really have to play the first 2 to play 3, as I didn't, and didn't impact my joy at all. Different style of game since 2 was in 1998 PC game and Fallout 3 came in in 2008

Short version of the Fallout backstory:

It's an alternate history that branches off based on a lot of 1950's cold war/nuclear fears imagery. Think "Duck and Cover" and that ilk of government educational film for the theme of the Vault Boy logo and stuff like that. There's also a lot of old fashioned science fiction influence re-interpreted into a more modern vision. There's also a lot of influence from things like Mad Max.

Then in this alternate history where the cold war didn't play out quite the same, 21st century the USA and China got into a nuclear shooting war that decimates the earth. Most of the (known) survivors in the United States moved into privately constructed underground city-shelters called Vaults that were totally isolated from the outside world and theoretically meant to be self sufficient. There's a whole kind of X-Files-ish conspiracy about the Vaults and what their "true purpose" is that I won't totally go into. But basically each of the vaults as far as people were told is "supposed" to remain sealed then open in 200 years for the survivors to try and repopulate the earth.

Fallout 1 and 2 are set in "New California", which is a loosely connected series of small cities in the late 2100's, you start in Fallout 1 coming out of one of the Vaults which is breaking down and are sent off to find parts from another Vault to help you repair your home, but you get sidetracked by many things. Main character is referred to in the Fallout world as the "Vault Dweller". In Fallout 2 you play as one of his descendants in the same general region but starting from a small surface town, and you're sent out to find a G.E.C.K. (Garden of Eden Creation Kit), a one-size-fits-all device designed for the Vaults to help them repopulate the surface.

Everywhere you go you're like Caine from Kung Fu, meeting people, getting into adventures.

The first two games are both old school isometric graphics game. I think 1 is a little rough in parts, although still very good. 2 is honestly one of the best games of that era, in my opinion, and fleshes just everything out more and has an amazing scale.

Fallout 3 is set in at least to start the ruins of Washington DC. It's as El Dragon says kind of an Oblivion/Skyrim kind of game. I haven't played New Vegas, I hear it is pretty buggy.

Wow, watching the breakdown, holy shit, there's RAIN! AND STORMS! YES!

I hope there's a negative impact of being in the rain affecting your radiation rate. 

Also, Fallout New Vegas is a very very very good game that is just very very buggy as well. I personally thought they NAILED the story, and the side characters were great. It's a fantastic open world game, and a lot of the bugs have been toned down. If you can get it for cheap, I'd suggest it to give it a try. Really fun game.

Next gen console?  Hell naw, I just got a new computer and Fallout 4 looks like just the game I need to "test" it.   :D

I'll also add another voice to the "New Vegas was great but buggy as hell".  I had a blast playing it, but I never finished it because during the last mission, my game froze every time I got to the dam.

BUT SHE WAS INDOCTRINATED THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!

Fixed.

Do we really wanna turn the Fallout thread to more mass effect ending bullshit?

That is the worst thread DVDVR has had in 5 years so please stop.

Not unless it also involved Man of Steel.