DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

If we're talking horror franchises, at least they're better than the Saw films.

I think the Paranormal Activity movies are more inconsistent than outright bad, though. In some movies you feel they're genuinely trying, in others, like the fourth one, you know it's solely a cash grab and they're aren't even interested in disguising that.

The Marked Ones was actually pretty great though. At least they were trying new things.

I do find myself caring more about the characters in Paranormal Activity than the ones in most B movie horrors. Maybe it's because the actors are (presumably) ad-libbing a lot and feel more like real people. Micah was an annoying prick, but I still felt kinda bad when he got murdered, as opposed to most slashers where I don't care at all when someone gets killed.

Big opening weekend for Lone Survivor, over 38 million.

Frozen wracked up 15 million more, and it actually passed 300 million late last week.  It's only the second actual Disney canon animated film (i.e. not Pixar) to hit 300, after Lion King. 

The Legend of Hercules hit 4th, with just 8.6 estimated, a bit behind Wolf of Wall Street.

And Catching Fire picked up 4.6 and blew past Iron Man 3 for highest grossing (domestic) film of 2013.

It's weird.  And it's been happening a lot lately, with two different studios suddenly going all in on the same old property.  Snow White, Hercules, there are multiple Wizard of Oz based films floating around, despite their being an Oz movie last year.

Then you throw in three different movies last year that included the white house being attacked, two that were specifically about attacks on the white house...  It's just odd.

It's weird.  And it's been happening a lot lately, with two different studios suddenly going all in on the same old property.  Snow White, Hercules, there are multiple Wizard of Oz based films floating around, despite their being an Oz movie last year.

Then you throw in three different movies last year that included the white house being attacked, two that were specifically about attacks on the white house...  It's just odd.

Nothing new. Remeber the dueling asteroid movies? The three undersea movies! Etc

• Like 1

Nothing new. Remeber the dueling asteroid movies? The three undersea movies! Etc

The 2 Wyatt Earp movies?

I don't care what anyoen says, Costner's Wyatt Earp is fantastic and underappreciated!

James

The 2 Wyatt Earp movies?

I don't care what anyoen says, Costner's Wyatt Earp is fantastic and underappreciated!

James

IMO Wyatt Earp > Tombstone

Tombstone was a little too cartoonish at certain points. LOL One of the Earp brothers got shot and Wyatt is crying and screaming in the pouring rain. Eat my ass, Hollywood.

The new Jack Ryan movie opened with barely $5 million on Friday. So there's yet another failed reboot for this character. I guess we'll check back in another 10 years to see what they do with the next reboot.

Or maybe they'll realize nobody gives a shit about Jack Ryan and leave it alone? Nah.

My shitty local AMC opened on Christmas with Walter Mitty and 47 Ronin, but no Wolf of Wall Street.  The next closest AMC (in a smaller town) had it in from the jump.  Still haven't opened WOLF, but we now have that shitty Hercules movie on two different screens.

Can someone explain this too me?  Do multiplex chains like that have some dude in a lab coat picking the films?  Is it the managers responsibility?   

They(Kevin Hart, specifically) promoted the hell out of Ride Along.  TNT had them all over the NBA games, they did a skit on Conan, I'm pretty sure Hart did spots on ESPN, the commercials, and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other things.  It was on Anchorman 2 levels.  It needed to do well and looks like it did for the first weekend anyway.

I think Kevin Hart has a bunch movies coming out this year too.  This won't be the last we'll see of him...

Kevin Hart is in the remake of About Last Night that is coming out on Valentine's Day

Because of the timing and it's competition (Robocop isn't really a date movie)... that movie will make a zillion dollars

Kevin Hart is in the remake of About Last Night that is coming out on Valentine's Day

Because of the timing and it's competition (Robocop isn't really a date movie)... that movie will make a zillion dollars

Isn't 'Winter's Tale' supposed to be the big Valentine's Day movie, based on a loved novel, romantic flick with Colin Farrell and tossing in Will Smith and Russell Crowe for good measure?!

Biggest January open ever, btw, breaking Cloverfield's record.

Granted, that's somewhat into "tallest midget" range, given January's (deserved) reputation as a dumping ground for bad movies/failed projects.