DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Gravity has a legit shot at $300 million domestic.  For a non-sequel, non-adaptation, non-horror film released in October.  That's insane.

People have bitched for years about wanting original stuff coming from Hollywood.  Nice to see a film rewarded for being just that.

• Like 1

Solid if not spectacular 28 million for Ender's Game.  Bad Grandpa did another 20.5 for second place.  Based on estimates, Last Vegas edges Free Birds for 3rd, 16.5 to 16.2, definitely close enough that actuals might flip it.  Gravity does another 13 million to round out the top 5, and go to 219 and change, and well over 400 worldwide.

Clearly I am not meant for this society since I find all the Jackass type things amazingly stupid.

Sigh...

I think the argument you can make that one reason Gravity did so well is that it's an actual original film and not a retread of a film Hollywood has done 50 times, and that film goers are just dying for this, also holds true for Bad Grandpa. Okay it's part of the Jackass franchise, but it's still a relatively unique looking movie.

There's also a wasteland out there for competition on the comedy front right now.

(I've never seen a Jackass film, or the show. So this is about as neutral as an opinion can get on the franchise.)

The last Cap movie did just slightly below Thor overall.

Iron Man 3 and Thor:TDW have both gotten pretty noticeable bumps over IM2 and Thor on the opening weekend.  For IM3, there is the fact that it was the first Iron Man to have 3D to explain some of it, but for The Dark World, it's almost certainly all because of The Avengers (in fact, it dropped for 60% of ticket sales to 39% being 3D) and it seems possible, at least, that Cap will get a similar 30 some percent bump.

The Best Man Holiday was unique in the fact that probably 90 percent of the audience was nostalgic over the first movie 14 years ago, so I was happy to see it do well.  The USA Today writer caught Hell for calling it a raced-themed film, which he was crucified for.  It just happened to be a movie with a Black ensemble cast that happened to resonate well with Black folks.  Those characters could have easily been white.

It reminded me of pre Tyler Perry (early 90s - early 2000s) where the Black, midcard actors would get together and do these great movies a couple times a year.  Tyler Perry ruined the romantic-comedy genre for Black actors/producers/directors, but I'm sure this is the wrong thread/board to talk about that issue.  I would love to do a thread about movies like Best Man Holiday.  I'm sure there are a lot of white people who felt they wouldn't enjoy/understand the movie because of the cast.

On I think everyone is over terrible Maeda movies

Now that muscial Black Christmas could make a billion dollars (including getting my $10)

I will be going to see Black Christmas at least nine times.

Oh, and it is Taye Mother Fucking Diggs = Box Office Draw, not, Morris Chestnut.

Just for the record - the name of the movie is Black Nativity. That was my bad.

So not another remake of the horror movie. Instead it's this

Honestly - I am totally cool if the movie is just two hours of Jennifer Hudson singing

Hunger Games: Catching Fire is making all the money.

25 million on thursday.  Over 70 million yesterday.  I saw it in a sold out screening this evening, fwiw.  Gonna probably hit around 150 for the weekend, despite the Thursday open.