DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

. People hated Osama Bin Laden much more, and people went to go see Zero Dark Thirty.

People went to see ZDT to share in the joy of Osama getting his cap peeled.  Catharsis

WikiLeaks poked DoD in the eye and Assange is still at large and holed up in the Ecuadoran embassy in Great Britain.  The hurt is still there.

Mericans do not get the catharsis of watching Assange fall into a vat of acid or die in a fiery car crash at the end of Fifth Estate.

If my relatives and siblings died in 9/11, I don't think a movie is going to do justice. Hitler getting machine gunned in Inglourious Basterds isn't going to do it for sons and daughters of Holocaust victims.

Clearly, I live un a cocoon of some sort, never knew Asange was hated.

I will make you a t-shirt with the WikiLeaks logo on the back and Julian's face on the front and then buy you a ticket for the Pentagon tour.

If my relatives and siblings died in 9/11, I don't think a movie is going to do justice. Hitler getting machine gunned in Inglourious Basterds isn't going to do it for sons and daughters of Holocaust victims.

The movie won't do it justice, but ZDT does give you what United 93 or World Trade Center did not; the dramatization of the killing of Bin Ladin.  Closure.

Inglorious Basterds is an interesting example.  One or two of my Jewish friends were very offended by IB because they did not feel that it was proper to frame those events in a satirical / comedic manner.  Even so, Hitler is not only dead, he (by most accounts) committed suicide, so he died a coward rather than allow himself to be captured and face justice.

I will make you a t-shirt with the WikiLeaks logo on the back and Julian's face on the front and then buy you a ticket for the Pentagon tour.

Oh, I get in the Pentagon, but I've never seen some outpouring of hatred towards him from citizens on a whole.  By far the most common opinion I have seen of him is "he's kind of a dick, but he's doing massively important work."

And the price of the massively important work are the careers of the people that provide him with informtion as well as the lives those people providing human intel.

When you feel that THE WOOOORLD NEEDS TO KNOOWWW, you are also arming the enemy with information and putting innocents in harm's way..  Irresponsible at the very least and reckless at the worst.

I think that is the lesson that needs to be learned from The Fifth Estate and films of a similar vein.  I don't judge Assange too harshly because I am DoD and I see the effects of overclassifying data.  However I also appreciate the need to control that info so that we can conduct legit operations without putting our Soldiers at risk. 

You may not like the tactics, but when you go around putting TS info out there trying to expose alleged wrongdoing, people in the field suffer, not the planners you are trying to indict in the court of public opinion.

I will quit hijacking the thread with this stuff and go back to talking about the box office. I will have four hours to kill waiting for my girlfriend because she has to work her part time job this weekend so I think I will indulge in a double feature of The Counselor and Bad Grandpa.

Next weekend is going to be huge:  Thor vs. Ender's Game.

Also poking around Box Office Mojo again

Don Jon doing $22.5 million on a $6 million budget says to me that we are going to get more JGL creating scripts so he can sleep other hot women movies.

I am sure you will all be happy to give him suggestions

Basically this is JT's way of saying he doesn't want to tell us about all the cartoon sized guns he gets to work on.

i am going out to lunch with the DARPA guys on Thursday.  Right now, the brand new hotness is the Transformer TX project they are working on with Lockheed Martin.

SHIELD aircars may be just around the corner.

. People hated Osama Bin Laden much more, and people went to go see Zero Dark Thirty.

People went to see ZDT to share in the joy of Osama getting his cap peeled.  Catharsis

WikiLeaks poked DoD in the eye and Assange is still at large and holed up in the Ecuadoran embassy in Great Britain.  The hurt is still there.

Mericans do not get the catharsis of watching Assange fall into a vat of acid or die in a fiery car crash at the end of Fifth Estate.

I already learned there was a "wrestling bubble" on this board, but apparently there's an "American government bubble" as well.

I wish there were a whole lot more people like Assange and Snowden in this world and I'm pretty sure most of the civilized world would agree with that.

• Like 1

The movie won't do it justice, but ZDT does give you what United 93 or World Trade Center did not; the dramatization of the killing of Bin Ladin.  Closure.

Inglorious Basterds is an interesting example.  One or two of my Jewish friends were very offended by IB because they did not feel that it was proper to frame those events in a satirical / comedic manner.  Even so, Hitler is not only dead, he (by most accounts) committed suicide, so he died a coward rather than allow himself to be captured and face justice.

Eh, that's very debatable. I personally believe that movies shouldn't have that much power over you, but then again people debated to death how much the damage to Metropolis in MoS affected them. But that's the thing: I go to movie strictly to enjoy them and deriving anything thought-provoking is just icing on the cake. I just choose to put something directed by Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino in the same category. I know James Russo is a character actor. When he got shot in Django Unchained, I wasn't like "thank god that overseer got shot". I was like, "OMG, was that James Russo?". While I was enthralled by the cameos to hilarious death ratio in the movie, my siblings were just shocked by what was going on. I can appreciate a good Boss N***** reference with Waltz and Foxx riding into town on horses. A lot of black people can't because they can't reference something like that. Anytime you have something that hits that close to home, the reactions are going to vary.

I already learned there was a "wrestling bubble" on this board, but apparently there's an "American government bubble" as well.

I wish there were a whole lot more people like Assange and Snowden in this world and I'm pretty sure most of the civilized world would agree with that.

I am all for the free release of info, but neither Assange nor Snowden really put that info out there in a responsible manner.  Assange put his data out there and apparently forgot that the Taliban and AQAP have laptops and read newspapers and will crack shots into plain old Afgan or Yemeni citizens working with the US Army and their own government forces to secure their own country.

Bradley Cooper's fate speaks for itself.  WikiLeaks thanks you for the info, Private.  Sorry about your damned luck!

If you're going to leak information, leak it to the legit press for God's sake. At least they pay some lip service to the ethics of journalism..

As a side note, the real issue with The Fifth Estate seems to be that it's not a good movie.  Terrible reviews.

Great topic but a crappy movie.  I think Assange needs to pen a memoir rather than allowing other people to tell his story, but then you run into balance issues because you know that Assange will present himself without fault or relatively few faults.

J.T. is starting to scare me with his logic.  I'll go hide now.  :(

There is my dilemma.  I am a Jeffersonian at heart so I will always be dubious of the motives of government in general.

Then again, I swore an oath to defend the Constitution and I do so as a DoD employee by training and protecting Soldiers and the data they use to complete their missions.

Oooookay... back to talking about movies!

Not enough love for Machete Kills last weekend. I am bummed.

The Pentagon: the great bastion of centered opinion on this subject.

Though really, the guy *is* a criminal regardless of how I feel about what he did morally. Legally, he stepped on all sorts of land mines. There are consequences for that.

The Pentagon: the great bastion of centered opinion on this subject.

The bloom of altruism concerning that sort of thing fades when you actually work with and know the people that could be threatened by leaking that kind of information.

And I agree.  Assange is a very polarizing figure; you can admire his motive and intent but really find critical fault with his practices.  Fifth Estate actually touches on that.  Too bad it is a dreck movie.

Thor: The Dark World, however, does not look like a dreck movie.  I will contribute to it's record breaking opening day.

If you're going to leak information, leak it to the legit press for God's sake. At least they pay some lip service to the ethics of journalism..

LOL. C'moooon bro. Who the hell is legit these days?