DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Well anyone who saw the trailers for Battle of the Year knew that it wasn't a good movie.

It making even $5 million makes me sad

It needed to make a bajillion dollars so that we could coax Naimark out of hiding to do a "XXXX Movies Better than You Got Served" series with Battle of the Year.

Honestly, I was not aware of either of those facts.

BTW, I sat confused for a couple minutes and was going to reply with "Prisoners didn't make $5 million" before I remembered that dance movie came out this week also.

You guys do realize that Terrance Howard has been accused of beating women on multiple occasions (more than Chris Brown) and he was in Prisoners?

It's why getting on a high horse about that sort of thing is futile.  You can't throw a rock through a bunch of actors and musicians without hitting a degenerate.

• Like 2

You guys do realize that Terrance Howard has been accused of beating women on multiple occasions (more than Chris Brown) and he was in Prisoners?

It's why getting on a high horse about that sort of thing is futile.  You can't throw a rock through a bunch of actors and musicians without hitting a dengerate.

When I look for quality human beings, I look towards the world of music, sports, film, and television. Don't you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Carrie opened in third place with $17 million. It was tempting to say "just" but $17 million is nothing to sneeze at. The budget is $30 million so one would figure it will at least break even.

Captain Tom Hanks placed in second... barely ahead of Carrie.

Meanwhile Gravity is earning all the money

I always thought that making a movie about Julian Assange would be a bad idea.  Who thought that it would be a good idea to make a movie about a guy so completely demonized in the US media? 

People in Short Pump probably lined up to throw fake blood on folks that that dared to buy a ticket for The Fifth Estate.

You may as well let Eric Snowden write a cookbook.

I always thought that making a movie about Julian Assange would be a bad idea.  Who thought that it would be a good idea to make a movie about a guy so completely demonized in the US media?

From the reviews and how the people at WikiLeaks feel about it, that's what it sounds like they went for in the film. Then again, it's not that relevant anymore. They missed their window by a good year and a half for anyone giving a shit. It would've probably been better in a miniseries format anyway. In addition, the TV spots were putrid ("This is information thah wurldah needs to NOOOEHH!").

Then again, it's not that relevant anymore. They missed their window by a good year and a half for anyone giving a shit. It would've probably been better in a miniseries format anyway. In addition, the TV spots were putrid ("This is information thah wurldah needs to NOOOEHH!").

I'm not sure they really had a choice on release dates with Bradley Manning's trial just concluding.  Even so, timing isn't that horrible. 

I am not sure I would've dropped this movie during the heat of the events at hand when the US Public wanted to hang him by the balls from the top of the Washington Monument.

As opposed to releasing it to the tune of $1.7 million?

Probably would've made zero dollars when we wanted to bring the dude up on espionage charges and collectively hated him in unison..

Fifth Estate would've made for a better novel than a movie.

As opposed to releasing it to the tune of $1.7 million?

Probably would've made zero dollars when we wanted to bring the dude up on espionage charges and collectively hated him in unison..

Well, it wasn't a movie advertising WikiLeaks. And I would say at least 50% of your avg. movie going public above the age of 13 have no fucking clue what the movie is about. They could have named it WikiLeaks: The Movie and people still wouldn't know. People hated Osama Bin Laden much more, and people went to go see Zero Dark Thirty.

. People hated Osama Bin Laden much more, and people went to go see Zero Dark Thirty.

People went to see ZDT to share in the joy of Osama getting his cap peeled.  Catharsis

WikiLeaks poked DoD in the eye and Assange is still at large and holed up in the Ecuadoran embassy in Great Britain.  The hurt is still there.

Mericans do not get the catharsis of watching Assange fall into a vat of acid or die in a fiery car crash at the end of Fifth Estate.