DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

$161 Mil seems to be the final total.  I suppose either Frozen or Black Nativity will come in a distant second next week.

I want Oldboy to do well, but I am reminded of when Girl With The Dragon Tattoo came into theaters during the winter holidays and went straight south. 

Oldboy is far too prickly of a movie to do well this time of year.

I like the Mara/Craig version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but why the fuck would you remake a movie that came out TWO years prior? That's insanely retarded. If Oldboy flops, it's going to make it extremely tough for the rest of Vengeance remakes to get traction.

Because the books had become a big hit here to, and lots of people just will not watch foreign films.

At least, I assume that was the thought process.

And that thought process doomed a second film being made anytime soon. That's swell.

Wasn't there some big deal about them wanting Craig to take a pay cut or maybe making the film without him?

I know they brought in someone to rewrite what Zaillan had wrote, but the chances of Fincher returning are slim to none. I know Rooney Mara contractually has to come back so I guess Craig would have to come back as well. But Craig has many projects already lined up and those Bond movies film for like half a year. So if they were going to get film out for 2015, they already missed their window.

From what I gather from various sources, Zallian and Scott Rudin are still interested in a sequel but Fincher has gone full tilt into House of Cards.

Lisbeth Salander is no longer the it girl of the pop culture zeitgeist that she used to be, so I don't think that there will be a sequel.

I think it completely stalled, anyway.

But there was something about them wanting to pay Craig less than the contract called for, and they discussed dropping the entire (co-lead) character.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/girl-dragon-tattoo-sequel-whats-416621

Sources close to the project say the biggest holdup isn't Fincher's involvement but star Daniel Craig's. The studio has options on Craig for two sequels, but the actor is said to want a pay raise, not a cut, in the wake of Skyfall grossing $1 billion worldwide. If Sony can't bring Craig back to reprise his role as journalist Mikael Blomkvist, the sources say the studio could write the character out of the sequel. (A Craig source says negotiations have yet to commence but the actor wants to return to the role.)

I think you could easily write Blomkvist out of the 2nd two movies. He's pretty superfluous to the stuff people care about in those. Really, he's just a terrible character all around. There's no reason he shouldn't have died in the 1st one, except he's the Mary Sue author stand-in.

RT rankings for Black Nativity and Oldboy would indicate that this weekend's second place probably belongs to Frozen.  The traditional 50% drop-off for the second weekend wouldd still have Catching Fire earning close to eighty million US dollars.

Maybe Spike Lee should have kept "Oldboy" in captivity. 

The outspoken director's remake of the decade-old Korean movie of the same name was released in fewer than 600 theaters this weekend, posting about $400,000 in ticket sales Wednesday and Thursday combined. That puts the movie on pace to generate less than $2 million through the Thanksgiving weekend, probably making it one of the biggest flops of the year. 

A $2-million total would give the FilmDistrict movie a per-theater average of between $3,000 and $4,000, putting it in similar territory to Universal's recent bomb "R.I.P.D." ($4,450 a screen for its opening weekend in July), though it's not as poor as DreamWorks' Julian Assange drama "The Fifth Estate" ($946 a screen) in October.  

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-spike-lee-oldboy-box-office-20131129,0,4572024.story#ixzz2mAVQ4QHC

As expected, Smaug easily won the weekend while doing noticeably less than Unexpected Journey.

Somewhat less expected, Frozen beat Madea's Christmas by a healthy margin for 2nd place.  Catching Fire and Dark World round up the top 5.