Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2022 INDIE WRESTLING


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well we are going to see it.  Not sure if it will be in 3 months, 9 months, or 2 years frankly

I wonder, if they could do VOD now, if they wanted to.

The reason they always give for not doing VOD is that they couldn't use contracted wrestlers, if they did, but is that reason even still valid anymore?

Clearly AEW doesn't give a shit, as Jon Moxley, Joey Janela etc. appear for live broadcasts of GCW shows all the time.

Ring of Honor doesn't have anyone under contract anymore.

The only promotion that might be tricky is Impact, but even with them, some wrestlers have appeared on live Indy VODs. Mike Bailey has worked for GCW a couple of weeks ago and was already announced for more shows. Josh Alexander worked the recent Terminus show and works for AAW all the time. There are other examples like that. Might be a case by case issue with them.

Edited by The Z
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get the feeling that PWG is fine running it like they always have. It's all in house I believe but switching to iPPV/VOD would disrupt that set up. 

It's not like iPPV is easy still. It does suck though, pandemic really liked their hype. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like that PWG offer a select viewership in this day and age where even Matrix goes straight to TV. Adds mystique and I know some day their library will be available, but I'm not in a hurry to see what I've missed anyhow. Wrestling is now available in droves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

I get the feeling that PWG is fine running it like they always have. It's all in house I believe but switching to iPPV/VOD would disrupt that set up. 

It's not like iPPV is easy still. It does suck though, pandemic really liked their hype. 

I would actually prefer a middle way between live iPPV and waiting half a year.

The impatience of my fellow wrestling fans annoys me a lot more than the slow-as-hell schedule of PWG.

Everything has to be live live live for most people nowadays. I've never watched anything life in my entire life, outside of the shows I've attended myself.

I'm old enough to remember a time, when you had to wait months for some tape trader to have the show you wanted and then you waited months more for the VHS to arrive at your house. Obviously we don't want to go back to that, but the quality of the majority of the live Indy shows sucks ass. Of all the GCW shows at least half of them have terrible audio and or video issues. Everything would be so much better, if people were just willing to wait a day or two (or even a week) for the VOD to be released. That's my rant for today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lio Rush says he injury is a dislocated shoulder

He also says that fans used racial slurs, hate speech and threw things into the ring

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with PWG taking forever to release shows is spoilers.   I tried to remain spoiler free and a post from The Blade actually ruined it.  I don't think he did it on purpose but needless to say he spoiled the result of the tournament.

Maybe not have every event as a live IPPV  but at least do it for BOLA.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

The problem with PWG taking forever to release shows is spoilers.   I tried to remain spoiler free and a post from The Blade actually ruined it.  I don't think he did it on purpose but needless to say he spoiled the result of the tournament.

Maybe not have every event as a live IPPV  but at least do it for BOLA.  

By the time I get the DVD, I've forgotten the whole card, no lie.

Here's Jack Cartwheel doing a balcony dive, only to be countered with a legit RKO outta nowhere by Blake Christian.

 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2022 at 6:33 PM, RIPPA said:

Lio Rush says he injury is a dislocated shoulder

He also says that fans used racial slurs, hate speech and threw things into the ring

Two fans threw things. Both times were at Buddy, not him... which isn't a defense - just pointing it out. The first time was pre-match from the balcony, the second time was during the match from someone near me who promptly got booted. That was a small section of 3-4 very drunk people who were seemingly there to amuse themselves. They got lectured post-match & calmed down a bit. At no point did I hear anything racist or come close to hate speech. The closest that group got was heckling Lio about leaving wrestling to be a rapper but based on their other heckling it seemed to be in reference to him signing with a music label. I don't know if that qualifies as racist but maybe Lio does. Or maybe he was referring to something else completely in which case I didn't hear any of it myself. I would have absolutely alerted Globe security if I hear something & trust me they wouldn't have had any of that shit.

I also saw a tweet where someone said the thrown drink led to Lio's injury which was completely false but that still didn't stop twitter from jumping all over another fairytale problematic event from a PWG show. I don't know why people are like this. If you don't like a promotion, cool. By all means, tear it apart. But making up stories to generate group hate is such trash behaviour.

The weekend was great. Tons of awesome wrestling! Speedball/Bandido was everything you could have imagined & more. The finals will probably come off better on DVD than live because they spent a good portion fighting on the stage which meant 3/4 of the crowd couldn't really see. The last 8-10 minutes were off the charts with everyone thinking Speedball had it won numerous times & being shocked when Garcia finally made him tap. I actually wasn't as high on the 8 man as seemingly everyone else was as I saw comments ranging from MOTYC to best match of the weekend. The balcony spot was so great because almost everyone was just watching Cartwheel up top... so nobody was paying any attention to Blake. He just flew in at the last second! Even on twitter I saw people posting pictures immediately & everyone thought Cartwheel just did a balcony dive until the video came out later that night. Aramis/Taurus opened up Night 2 with an absolutely insane match. They must have done every single idea they've been waiting to do knowing they may never get the chance again. I also loved Shelley/Garcia but the live crowd wasn't really having Shelley's work for some reason. Was the same on the previous show. Night 1 matches with Taurus/JD Drake & Lio/Cartwheel were also standouts but for me the Blake/Yuta match was second best of the night behind the main event. Yuta showed more charisma than he has in AEW so far & Blake was on fire. They went above & beyond for two last minute subs.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you really should spoiler tag that last post.  

 

Just another example as to why they should air these BOLA's live.  You can't go spoiler free no matter how hard you try.

 

Also,  it wasn't just twitter. Steve Gerwick reported that a fan threw a drink in the ring and that Murphy slipped while doing a Rollins style curb stomp to Lio.  I'm assuming that is where the twitter people heard it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Robert said:

Two fans threw things. Both times were at Buddy, not him... which isn't a defense - just pointing it out. The first time was pre-match from the balcony, the second time was during the match from someone near me who promptly got booted. That was a small section of 3-4 very drunk people who were seemingly there to amuse themselves. They got lectured post-match & calmed down a bit. At no point did I hear anything racist or come close to hate speech. The closest that group got was heckling Lio about leaving wrestling to be a rapper but based on their other heckling it seemed to be in reference to him signing with a music label. I don't know if that qualifies as racist but maybe Lio does

Sounds like the wrong wrestler has the nickname "The Drama King."

The "you tell me you met an asshole in the morning" thing applies to Lio so much it's not funny.  When you're caught up in some drama bullshit over and over again, just constantly with no end in sight, it's probably you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

you really should spoiler tag that last post.  

 

Just another example as to why they should air these BOLA's live.  You can't go spoiler free no matter how hard you try.

What's your cut-off for spoilers for PWG shows, though? Even now with the just announced six month delay for new shows on Highspots... do you expect people to keep it spoilered until you see it? Because people are just now getting their Mystery Vortex blu-ray preorder, and that event was in AUGUST.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I'd like to avoid BOLA spoilers it's pretty much impossible in this day and age, and I don't even use twitter. Excalibur actually mentioned the winner of the tournament on last night's episode of Dark. I get the promotion remains profitable by just releasing DVDs instead of streaming or ppv, but that's becoming less of a viable option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Casey said:

What's your cut-off for spoilers for PWG shows, though? Even now with the just announced six month delay for new shows on Highspots... do you expect people to keep it spoilered until you see it? Because people are just now getting their Mystery Vortex blu-ray preorder, and that event was in AUGUST.

Wait, what?  Source for this?

I just received their November 21 show in the mail yesterday, so that's a delay of roughly two months and a week.  I'd gladly wait four more months and just stream it.  If PWG runs 6 shows a year, BOLA is 2-3 nights, All Star Weekend is 2 nights, and Blu Rays are $20 +8.95 shipping, I'm saving $80 or more per year going with Highspots and I'm getting more content, too.  

Mystery Vortex happened August 1 and didn't ship until late October, BTW. 

Edited by Technico Support
Link to comment
Share on other sites

God, I wish PWG would just hook up with Fite or something, but I understand that is counterproductive to their quasi mom and pop business style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 10:17 AM, Technico Support said:

I understand doors are cheaper and easier to come by, but they make no sense and break kayfabe more than rope running does.  There's a reason for tables at ringside and spare tables under the ring.  But unless you're having a match at Home Depot or maybe in your local contractor's yard, there is zero reason to have a stack of interior hollow core doors just laying around at a wrestling match. 

Regarding the show, nothing says "true outlaw indie spirit" like putting bigger part timers over your homegrown stars.  This really was GCW's Wrestlemania!

Late chime in on this but the way I contextualize is is the weapons, thumbtacks, tables, doors etc are under the ring because the promotion encourages the use or weapons in their wrestling. Everyone company is like "we know these dudes hate each other so let's put some murder weapons under the ring so it will up the violence."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Wait, what?  Source for this?

I just received their November 21 show in the mail yesterday, so that's a delay of roughly two months and a week.  I'd gladly wait four more months and just stream it.  If PWG runs 6 shows a year, BOLA is 2-3 nights, All Star Weekend is 2 nights, and Blu Rays are $20 +8.95 shipping, I'm saving $80 or more per year going with Highspots and I'm getting more content, too.  

Mystery Vortex happened August 1 and didn't ship until late October, BTW. 

There was an error on the printing of the Mystery Vortex show which is why that took longer. The goal is always to have it the show done in time to sell copies at the next show. Due to the error MV wasn't even available for purchase when people came looking to buy at the September show.

Going forward all shows will be up 6 months later on HSWN. It's a start.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In what appears to be her first post-WWE booking

Athena (the former Ember Moon) will face Thunder Rosa on the Feb 19 Warrior Wrestling show

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...