Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

HAWKEYE (SPOILER TALK).


The Natural
 Share

Recommended Posts

Man, I loved the Yelena/Kate scene. In fact this is the only place where I’ve seen people speak negatively about it. To each their own, I guess. I hope they interact a lot more in the future somehow.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sandra Violet, all of 3 years old, gasped in horror at hot sauce on mac and cheese (despite seeing Daddy do it all the time) and crie out "NO! Too Spicy! TOO SPICY!"

Mind you she said the same thing when she saw the acid blood in Alien for the first time

James

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I imagine Season 2 would just be all Kate getting rolling.  Have to keep them all doing something til we're ready for a team up movie, and we're not getting one of those until after FF.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Yelena/Kate scene was eerily similar to the Kang scene from the end of Loki, where you have this leadenly written, static scene of characters sitting around a table for entirely too long while one of them has to info dump what the fuck they’re doing showing up so late in the story, and it absolutely should not work at all, but a pair of megawatt performers in Majors and Pugh just brute force ACT it into something you can’t look away from.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, EVA said:

The Yelena/Kate scene was eerily similar to the Kang scene from the end of Loki, where you have this leadenly written, static scene of characters sitting around a table for entirely too long while one of them has to info dump what the fuck they’re doing showing up so late in the story, and it absolutely should not work at all, but a pair of megawatt performers in Majors and Pugh just brute force ACT it into something you can’t look away from.

Next episode, Kingpin can do it.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given how flat and anti-dramatic the Kingpin reveal was, I’m a little concerned that the deal to get D’Onofrio came together so late that he was never actually on the set for filming, and it’s going to be all body doubles and voice over.

 

Anyway, I finally caught up with the show over the weekend. I really enjoyed the first few episodes, when they were keeping it a pretty straightforward Shane Black two-hander (at Christmas time, of course!), but I’ve found myself enjoying it less as the season has gone on and they’ve continued heaping unnecessary convolutions onto the plot. Unfortunately, that seems to be the house style of the D+ shows so far—rather than trusting the dramatic foundation of the shows to carry viewers along, there’s instead this sense of desperation to constantly be throwing new mysteries and surprises out to keep people hooked, to the point that it starts to undermine the foundation. Like, it’s actually a pretty big problem that we’ve hit the last episode, and we still have not the slightest idea why everyone cares so much about this watch, which was the inciting incident of the whole series. It’s Stakes 101: WHY is any of this happening? We don’t know. Perhaps we could have, but they had to spend a lot of crucial 3rd act real estate shoehorning Yelena into this situation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2021 at 10:43 AM, J.H. said:

Mind you she said the same thing when she saw the acid blood in Alien for the first time

Matt probably put you on ignore for stating that 😄 "How dare he!"

I would probably be extremely lenient if I had a kid in that respect but still... dude, Alien? IIIIIIII still have problems with that movie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Given how flat and anti-dramatic the Kingpin reveal was, I’m a little concerned that the deal to get D’Onofrio came together so late that he was never actually on the set for filming, and it’s going to be all body doubles and voice over.

 

Anyway, I finally caught up with the show over the weekend. I really enjoyed the first few episodes, when they were keeping it a pretty straightforward Shane Black two-hander (at Christmas time, of course!), but I’ve found myself enjoying it less as the season has gone on and they’ve continued heaping unnecessary convolutions onto the plot. Unfortunately, that seems to be the house style of the D+ shows so far—rather than trusting the dramatic foundation of the shows to carry viewers along, there’s instead this sense of desperation to constantly be throwing new mysteries and surprises out to keep people hooked, to the point that it starts to undermine the foundation. Like, it’s actually a pretty big problem that we’ve hit the last episode, and we still have not the slightest idea why everyone cares so much about this watch, which was the inciting incident of the whole series. It’s Stakes 101: WHY is any of this happening? We don’t know. Perhaps we could have, but they had to spend a lot of crucial 3rd act real estate shoehorning Yelena into this situation.

I read an article talking about smuggling him and his doubles in and out of shooting, so I presume that was dor more than just a quick cameo with Eleanor. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, EVA said:

Given how flat and anti-dramatic the Kingpin reveal was, I’m a little concerned that the deal to get D’Onofrio came together so late that he was never actually on the set for filming, and it’s going to be all body doubles and voice over.

 

Anyway, I finally caught up with the show over the weekend. I really enjoyed the first few episodes, when they were keeping it a pretty straightforward Shane Black two-hander (at Christmas time, of course!), but I’ve found myself enjoying it less as the season has gone on and they’ve continued heaping unnecessary convolutions onto the plot. Unfortunately, that seems to be the house style of the D+ shows so far—rather than trusting the dramatic foundation of the shows to carry viewers along, there’s instead this sense of desperation to constantly be throwing new mysteries and surprises out to keep people hooked, to the point that it starts to undermine the foundation. Like, it’s actually a pretty big problem that we’ve hit the last episode, and we still have not the slightest idea why everyone cares so much about this watch, which was the inciting incident of the whole series. It’s Stakes 101: WHY is any of this happening? We don’t know. Perhaps we could have, but they had to spend a lot of crucial 3rd act real estate shoehorning Yelena into this situation.

I mean, I don't know about you, but I'm down for a 10 minute monologue from Kingpin explaining everything. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who the fuck knew that Hawkeye would be the most enjoyable D+ Marvel show?!? I'd laugh if Maya actually did murder Kingpin, but I'm sure that scene is going to be extended in her own series. Pretty cool that Maya/Kingpin scene was basically a page from the comics. I'm sure that show will make a lot of Daredevil fans happy, too. Post-credits scene should make anyone who wanted to see Rogers: The Musical very happy. I don't care about it, so I skipped it.

The only negative is the whole Rolex subplot. Seems like it was just included to give Linda Cardellini a reason to be in this beyond "Clint's wife". I mean, cool she worked for SHIELD at one point I guess, but there was no reason for any of that really.

Edited by Casey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could prob make the argument Hawkeye was the show based more on a single original property than the others. Wandavision wasn't based on the Tom.King book and Loki wasn't based on Gillen's book, although they had moments from them and other older Marvel books. What If us what it is. 

Maybe the watch sets something up for S2. 

You'd think S2 will ostensibly be Clint either training Kate or officially passing the torch to her, but something draws him back in. 

Or you make a Kate/Yelena team that parallels the Clint/Natasha pairing.

Edited by odessasteps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to say I found the final episode underwhelming. Didn't expect Kingpin to feature as much as he did, glad to see him though as Vincent D'Onofrio is great in the part. I enjoyed Kate/Yelana interactions again, particularly this one:

I've liked Linda Cardellini since Kenan and Kel and Velma in the Scooby Doo movies from the early '00s but that came out of left field. Agents of Shield and Adrianne Palicki looking on...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...