DVDVR Message Board

Let's Talk Next-Gen

Tabe

I have a PS4 coming Friday and even have a few games for it (funny that the games/controller shipped first, so I have everything but the console) but now I am trying to decide if I should just flip it and wait until the spring.  I really wanted Watchdogs which of course got postponed, and AC IV I am expecting to be fun but I can get it for the PS3 if I feel so inclined.  So I am still on the fence, if they are still selling for 525+ plus when I have it in-hand on Friday (I don't post stuff until I physically have it) I will probably just sell it and wait.  But if the price drops when the console is actually here I will probably just keep it and play the games I already have (AC IV and Madden 25).

My big disappointment?  No full scale/campaign couch co-op games at launch.  Particularly disappointing since Killzone could have been.  Anytime my brother and I get to hang out (usually holidays) we always play FPS or RPG co-op games and I wanted to show off my new toy over Thanksgiving.  I know that couch co-op is dying and all as online gets more popular, but its a fun tradition we have always enjoyed since we were kids.  So I hope some come out at least before July 4th anyway.  Luckily, Super Mario 3D World comes out before turkey day and it looks pretty amazing.

Take these for what they're worth. I have a hard time imagining Flower, which I detested on the PS3, is actually the best launch game and is better than, say, AC4. Some of that is bias against that type of floaty/arty game but c'mon.Anyway, there ya go, a slew of PS4 (and sometimes Xbone) reviews.

Flower was an okay tech demo, but no way is it close to something like GTAV. You can get through the game in like 30 minutes. I think it is the cool thing to do to for video game reviewers to suck indie/arty games dick in order to get street cred. Also a lot of reviewers are annoying hipsters. I used to follow a lot of them on Facebook/Twitter but I got sick of their pretentiousness. I would take the word of people here 10 times over any stock I put in reviews from major sites like IGN.
Why I'll never play Journey. "Oh, there's online co-op but you'll never know who you're playing with or talk to them on this whimsical adventure..." Fuck you.

Oh man, I think I'm actually gonna do it.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I think I'm gonna cancel my PS4 pre-order and get a Wii U.

Come on, you know Super Mario 3D World will be too good to pass up. Plus there's still New Super Mario Bros Wii U. and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freze coming in February. That's three games right there! Three games is worth getting a $300 console for, right? Right?!?

I had an Amazon pre-order, but canceled it last week.  Too much money, not enough time, too many games to play on the PS3 if I do find the time, etc. etc.  We're all in the same boat it seems.

I do think I'll be getting AC4 for the PS3 though.  I don't play those games, but if you can actually ignore the story and just sail around pillaging, climbing mountains on islands, and hunting whales, well...  I'm fucking in.

Oh man, I think I'm actually gonna do it.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I think I'm gonna cancel my PS4 pre-order and get a Wii U.

Come on, you know Super Mario 3D World will be too good to pass up. Plus there's still New Super Mario Bros Wii U. and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freze coming in February. That's three games right there! Three games is worth getting a $300 console for, right? Right?!?

Throw in Wind Waker and eventually a new Zelda game, and, hey, I'm nearly convinced.

IGN has a great comparison showing the graphics for AC4 across PS3, 360, WiiU and PS4.  Some takeaways:

- the PS3/360 versions of AC4 look REALLY, REALLY great

- the WiiU version is pretty much the same as the 360/PS3 versions

- the PS4 version definitely is the best-looking but isn't exactly the mind-blowing leap you might hope for.  The changes are all very subtle

Anyway, check it out:

IGN Graphics Comparison

IGN has a great comparison showing the graphics for AC4 across PS3, 360, WiiU and PS4. Some takeaways:- the PS3/360 versions of AC4 look REALLY, REALLY great- the WiiU version is pretty much the same as the 360/PS3 versions- the PS4 version definitely is the best-looking but isn't exactly the mind-blowing leap you might hope for. The changes are all very subtleAnyway, check it out:IGN Graphics Comparison

Probably will be into next year sometime until we start seeing games that look like there was no way they could have been on 360/ps3.
  • Like 2

Probably will be into next year sometime until we start seeing games that look like there was no way they could have been on 360/ps3.

I agree.  Ubisoft almost certainly gimped the PS4 version a bit by doing 5 versions of the game all at once.  It'll be a couple years before a cross-platform title like that truly looks next gen.  I imagine the exclusives coming soon - like Infamous will raise the bar a lot higher.  But the 2015 stuff is going to be amazing.  Uncharted 4, baby!

IGN has a great comparison showing the graphics for AC4 across PS3, 360, WiiU and PS4. Some takeaways:- the PS3/360 versions of AC4 look REALLY, REALLY great- the WiiU version is pretty much the same as the 360/PS3 versions- the PS4 version definitely is the best-looking but isn't exactly the mind-blowing leap you might hope for. The changes are all very subtleAnyway, check it out:IGN Graphics Comparison

For me I'm not sure looks/graphics will be nough, but something that makes me feel like I'm missing something new and amazing.  For the current Gen, it was the totally open-world games like Red Dead or Skyrim.  That was something worth a new system and that was impossible on the PS2 generation...and they didn't show up for awhile.

I'm guessing that the previously mentioned Destiny and Titanfall will be the first of those. 

There is just no compelling reason to shell out the money for a PS4 or Xbone right now. Both systems have an amazing library of games. Shit, even in the last year you've seen some real stunning stuff come out on each system. RIght now, I have Skyrim, Last of Us, GTA 5, WWE 2K14, Borderlands 2, Saints Row the Third and Saints Row 4 all waiting to be played. Getting a PS3 or Xbone would be so counterproductive because you're either neglecting this expensive as hell video game system, or you're neglecting this awesome library.

Had a PS4 on pre-order, but wound up canceling. With the release date and the shipping and stuff, it would have gotten to me here in Korea in just about enough time for me to hand it to the movers and say, "Here, pack this with the rest of my stuff."

Had ordered Madden with it, too. . .think I read that they weren't allowing reviews of Madden until after the official console release.

I'd like to thank Naughtydog for coming and showing...absolutely nothing. I mean, I didn't expect much on Uncharted (although the fact that they haven't even committed to calling it "Uncharted 4" probably tells you how NOT far into development they are), but you can only show me 15 seconds of nothing on the Last of Us DLC coming out in 2 months? Come on.

I didn't love what I saw of Destiny. It looks cool but a little TOO much like Halo. Even the way the guy threw the grenade it was the same motion.. It has potential but ahh, I don't know.

Since Halo 4 was dicks, I'd be ok with Destiny being a return to glory days Halo.

It's official. New Uncharted is in development. Obviously not a surprise... I just wonder how far out it is..

Quite possibly the least surprising announcement of all-time. Will it be PS4 only? I hope so.