DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Archer/Kingston was a blast while it lasted. Archer was on fire and that chokeslam over the top rope looked positively brutal. Didn't love the finish but Kingston needed a win.

Hangman/Nemeth was solid. Nemeth's resemblance to his brother is wild now... hair, gear, and all.. I loved him working in signature Dolph spots as well. Dug the little post-match with Big Money Matt too. Nice Lionsault from Jericho this week!

Jungle/Dax was absolutely awesome. The crowd sing along to Tarzan Boy has begun.. can't wait to hear that in a jam packed arena one day. Jungle Boy came off like a future mega star here for sure. Thought the post-match angle was really well done, came off very old school. And any time Tully gets physical with the Spike Piledriver is great.

Stoked for the upcoming return of RIHO finally... even more hyped that it will be Riho vs Serena, massive potential for greatness there. Britt/Shanna was good stuff.

Main event was chaotic fun. The moment they mentioned the Bucks pick their opponents stip, I figured them against the Good Brothers but then they went and teased it so now I'm not sure. Great show overall, flew by. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I have an almost irrational hatred for missing out on things for dumb reasons. Still rather salty about it as I kind of don't care to find the first match now. 

And I think they said it wasn't just YTTV that was affected. Apparently there was something on the east coast that had an issue. 

Whatever the issue was, it didn't effect me. I'd check Archer/Kingston if I were you.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

somehow nobody died on that apron chokeslam spot

That was brutal, and the slam into the camera was something I swear I've never seen before in any match. On purpose, at least. This had some big bumps in it tonight. Dax's slingshot powerbomb and that beautiful back suplex off the top were two others.

EDIT: The Bucks will probably win and pick someone from Impact. Who has Tony been namedropping on the commercials again? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

So does Cody not know his own date of birth, or did Arn get the date wrong?

I was amused by his reaction as well. If I remember right Arn said June 29 which is when Dusty wrestled Tully, then flew to see Cody's birth which was June 30 so might've caused some confusion

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was brutal, and the slam into the camera was something I swear I've never seen before in any match. On purpose, at least. This had some big bumps in it tonight. Dax's slingshot powerbomb and that beautiful back suplex off the top were two others.

EDIT: The Bucks will probably win and pick someone from Impact. Who has Tony been namedropping on the commercials again? 

Hopefully, Alex Shelley will be back by Revolution. I'm always down for Young Bucks/MCMG.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

I missed Archer/Kingston too, going to have to track that down. Really good, high energy show after that. Jungleboy, Britt Baker, and Adam Page all had great nights and Jericho's FU moonsault was funny

I forgot about that. Yeah, I got a real good laugh from that. That's some petty shit, and I'm always down for petty shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DreamBroken said:

For those who missed it due to the issues, AEW has uploaded it quick in full:

I appreciate that and I will watch it after I've crawled out of the 80s dance music YouTube hole that Tarzan Boy has sent me down yet again ? 

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Whatever the issue was, it didn't effect me. I'd check Archer/Kingston if I were you.

Did I mention that I have an almost irrational hatred for missing out on stuff? Well thankfully after a couple brewskis I was quite willing to see the match from YouTube. And hot damn was that great but I think they have an epic hardcore match in them that would make one forget about all this mess. Still worth watching though and kudos to AEW for doing it right having the whole match there. 

• Like 5

ANOTHER super fun, super easy 2 hours of wrestling! ?

King/Archer was superb. Jungle B and Dax (the Ax? Calm the fuck down JR) was awesome. Britt looked great. And I thought the Dark Order looked phenomenal tonight. Their entrance looked bad ass, with the 2 groups of 4 doing the salute. I also thought Mox hit it out of the park with his promo. 

Can't wait for next week! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It was really funny when JR was musing about who the name "the Ax" could have been represented by and Tony has to bring up Larry Hennig a couple minutes later. The senility increases.

I don't think that they can do the Dax and Cash / Ax and Smash comparison on the air lol

• Like 2

I felt really bad for King’s hip on that chokeslam over the top.  Yikes.  Great match.

Jungle Boy/Dax was also great.  I feel like they’re fueling up the rocket for Jungle Jack, and this is going to be his year, like 2019 was Darby’s.  Tony didn’t buy the rights to that damn song for it to only be played on Dark.

The main event was super fun.  Stooo and John Boy competing to see who has the best hot tag was something else.

I like Matt Hardy coming into Hangman’s orbit, mostly because that would seem to bring him into Dark Order’s orbit, eventually, too. They need a new heavy to make their lives miserable, and Big Money Matt would be perfect in that role.

• Like 3

See when the Dark Order do the claw salute during their entrance? Does anyone else do it along with them, even though you're at home by yourself?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

See when the Dark Order do the claw salute during their entrance? Does anyone else do it along with them, even though you're at home by yourself?

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Guilty as charged

Same here.

• Like 2

Sooo, was this the dynamite with the best wrestling? Two fantastic, motyc matches in one episode. Jungle Jack Perry Boy has delivered three times in big single matches (Jericho, MJF, and now Dax da Axe). That was a better match than the Young Bucks epic because it didn't have any fat on it and was more focused imo. Both great but I'll go with this one every time. He, Hangman, and MJF are so great at taking old school psychology and hard hitting moves and mixing it with the new school flash. I hope in 2-3 years they are dictating AEW's in-ring style because that shit is perfection to me and it separates them from WWE and NJPW. Great stuff. I would love a belt succession of Kenny to Hangman to MJF to Jungle Boy. He should bypass the TNT title. They need to absolutely make sure he stays. Don't "trade" him for Adam Cole. Give this guy all the moneys. 

Archer and Kingston put on one of the best mean guy matches in North America since Hammer and Garvin beat the piss out of each other 30 years ago. That was incredible and I loved the ending. 

Main event had some smart stuff going on like Anderson goading Silver into hitting Nick Jackson after Gallows hilariously crotch chopped Silver from his knees. Turned into a very good AEW multiman tag sprint. Silver and Grayson both have incredible hot tags. 

Even Jericho/MJF vs. The Varsity Blondes was fire while it lasted. Griff got huge shine there. What a loaded prospect pool these guys have built up and a lot of young, highly promising tag teams. And Private Party ?

And this show wasn't without the angles either. Sting and Darby could be cringe but I loved that promo. HOODLUMS! That beatdown of the merch guys from Team Taz was beautiful. Another really good Pac promo in Da Room! Red Velvet was very good on the mic in a must deliver spot. Doc Gallows the funniest guy in wrestling today, right? Donaconda and Biz Cliz me softly as he gyrates his hips right beside Dasha, holy shit. 

• Like 5