DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I don’t think there’s really any ambiguity about what’s going on with the Young Bucks.  Aside from the first night when they did the show-closing Too Sweet, which was specifically calculated to generate WTF buzz heading into the next show, they have been pretty explicit in showing that the Bucks are NOT with Callis’s bullshit and Callis doesn’t give a fuck about them.  There is nothing ambiguous about the Bucks’ alignment here.  We’re not waiting to see if they are or aren’t with Don’s boys, we’re just waiting for the final shoe to drop that inevitably blows up the Bucks’ increasingly tenuous friendship with Kenny and the Good Brothers.  I don’t think they’ve done a single overtly, or even subtly, heelish thing this whole time.  Much different from when they were bullying announcers and shit during the FTR feud.

You’re right it is being played pretty straight, as you describe, but given the histories of those involved and the fact that they are aligned (albeit tenuously), I think there is a level of ambiguity there that leaves it open for a swerve. Even it plays out as expected, it’s that ambiguity which is helps make it shocking/satisfying when the Bucks get truly fucked over/have enough of their shit.

This is probably wishful thinking and me reading too much into things (I think Bucks going heel is the more interesting direction character-wise and because of the power dynamic it creates) but the fact that the Bucks have played it pretty straight as faces is what makes me think a swerve may be coming. Plus stuff like the off-camera Callis attack and the Good Brothers replacing them in the 6 man could easily be retconned as the Bucks being in on some sort of long con.

So I think @EVAis correct that we are going to a place where The Good Brothers and Kenny turn on The Bucks. I just don't understand the point of going through this period of time where we are waiting for it to happen. Why does the story need this period of time where Kenny has already clearly turned heel and now we are waiting for them to turn again on The Bucks. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Goodear said:

So I think @EVAis correct that we are going to a place where The Good Brothers and Kenny turn on The Bucks. I just don't understand the point of going through this period of time where we are waiting for it to happen. Why does the story need this period of time where Kenny has already clearly turned heel and now we are waiting for them to turn again on The Bucks. 

I think its supposed to be that Kenny hasn’t wanted to completely turn his back on his best friends so Callis has been manipulating him to get to that point, e.g. antagonising the Bucks and potentially faking their attack on him or at least overplaying it.

• Like 1

I tell ya, this show's really crying out for a guy like Jungle Boy to get more spotlight. He's not trying to be dark and edgy like Darby. He's not a one-note comedy goof like OC. He's not mopey like Page. He's just a pure plucky babyface up-and-comer. It's a shame he's featured so infrequently that I worry any momentum that could be gained off this performance will be squandered. It's time to see if this horse can run. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, EVA said:

I am not supporting the Darby and OC slander (!!!), but Jungle Boy is indeed terrific, and has been for a while now.

I like Page and Darby (especially Page), but I've spoken no untruths!

Jungle Boy may have been fantastic for a while now, but I wouldn't blame anyone for not noticing. His last televised singles match was October 21 vs Wardlow. Following that, he didn't have a televised match of any kind for the entire month of November. Then he participated in the Dynamite Diamond battle royal. The only match he's had on TV after that and prior to this feud was an inconsequential six man tag vs a crew of Dark Order third-stringers, which I don't even remember. As I said, they just don't feature this guy with any sort of regularity. Then he shows up in this and everything's smooth and the transitions look good and make sense, and I'm vibing pretty hard on this match and wondering why this guy hasn't really been properly featured as singles wrestler since MAY (!!!). They've really been taking their time with this guy and not prioritizing him at all. Hope that's about to change. 

I assume a heel will be the one taking the TNT belt off Darby. In the meantime, I need this guy feuding with either Sammy Guevara (while he's still a heel) or Ricky Starks ASAP. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

1 hour ago, alstein said:

One theory is that they're holding off on him until the pandemic is over.  They know they've got something.

I can't wait to sing along to "Tarzan Boy" at the September Dynamite that was supposed to be Blood & Guts last year.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
I hope it will be September.
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I think it's a really good '80s pop song but the crowd constantly singing it as a sort of "Let's Go Jungle Boy" was getting on my nerves. It was like the crowd singing "Judas" to try and hype up Jericho. Just not necessary. 

Yeah, but the main reason that doesn't happen with Judas is that the lyrics are a lot harder to remember than Tarzan Boy's.

Though if you do have trouble remembering the lyrics to Tarzan Boy, here's a helpful screen shot from Google:

Tarzan-Boy.png

• Haha 3

Forcing the lower card guys and gals to sing at gunpoint for Jericho's weekly ego fluffing is trash. It should have stopped once they got off Jericho's cruise. It peaked at Revolution. It's limped on ever since, and it's easily the worst thing you can expect to see on Dynamite every week.

Tarzan Boy is just going to serve to be a slightly more complicated version of the ole chant. I'm here for it. It could be a silver bullet that gets him next-level popular with some fans. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

So is this Shaq feud really helping ratings? 

Of course not; it absolutely sucks and the presumed demographic its catered for will just laugh it out the house. Not quite TNA/Pacman Jones yet but we're on the spectrum.

Edited by A_K

19 minutes ago, A_K said:

Of course not; it absolutely sucks and the presumed demographic its catered for will just laugh it out the house. Not quite TNA/Pacman Jones yet but we're on the spectrum.

Does whatever is going on with Shaq and Cody suck? Yes. I don't think we're close to the Pacman Jones level. For one, Shaq doesn't have the legal history that Jones does. I think that's what made TNA look really bad for using Jones.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A_K said:

It was the highest rated segment this week.  I believe the Shaq/Brandi sitdown from some weeks back was the highest rated segment that week, too.

I haven’t liked any of it so far, but you really can’t argue that it isn’t drawing.  It demonstrably is.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Forcing the lower card guys and gals to sing at gunpoint for Jericho's weekly ego fluffing is trash. It should have stopped once they got off Jericho's cruise. It peaked at Revolution. It's limped on ever since, and it's easily the worst thing you can expect to see on Dynamite every week.

Yeah all these poor low card people having to constantly pretend it is and has always been their favourite song of all time is so tiresome

Agree with the earlier posts re: what an interesting fit ZSJ would be for AEW. Their in-ring for me is really missing pure technical grapplers in that Bryan/Bret vein

Edited by Firebreaker Chip

8 hours ago, EVA said:

It was the highest rated segment this week.  I believe the Shaq/Brandi sitdown from some weeks back was the highest rated segment that week, too.

I haven’t liked any of it so far, but you really can’t argue that it isn’t drawing.  It demonstrably is.

Where is the source on that? People are changing the channel to watch this? So why do the YouTube segments not fare so favourably? It’s yielding less views than Archer/Kingston. Half the views of Bucks & Good Bros. I simply don’t believe this is drawing for them. I’d be hard pressed to say Shaq has even been part of the storyline .. he’s what, prerecorded one off-show tiny segment for the hour + of TV time they’ve dedicated to this alone? Malone/Page, Rodman/Hogan, Mayweather/Big Show this is not.

Edited by A_K

3 hours ago, A_K said:

Where is the source on that? People are changing the channel to watch this? So why do the YouTube segments not fare so favourably? It’s yielding less views than Archer/Kingston. Half the views of Bucks & Good Bros. I simply don’t believe this is drawing for them. 

The quarter numbers are pretty readily available at any number of places.  Just in terms of the wrestling bubble, I feel like most sites run them after Meltzer publishes them in the Observer.  The Wrestlenomics guys usually go deep on the ratings, too.

I certainly understand how it can be hard to believe that this is doing well for them (because it’s not very good!), but it is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Yeah all these poor low card people having to constantly pretend it is and has always been their favourite song of all time is so tiresome

Agree with the earlier posts re: what an interesting fit ZSJ would be for AEW. Their in-ring for me is really missing pure technical grapplers in that Bryan/Bret vein

If the forbidden portal ever happened- I'd want Dangerous Tekkers in AEW so bad (and R3K)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EVA said:

The quarter numbers are pretty readily available at any number of places.  Just in terms of the wrestling bubble, I feel like most sites run them after Meltzer publishes them in the Observer.  The Wrestlenomics guys usually go deep on the ratings, too.

I certainly understand how it can be hard to believe that this is doing well for them (because it’s not very good!), but it is.

Yeah, this. It's not for me, but...

"AEW peaked in 18-49 and overall viewers during Cody's segment and the overall high minute was during Red Velvet's promo".

Archer/Kingston crushed on youtube because so many people couldn't watch it when it was supposed to air. I know that's what happened to me

18 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Yeah, but the main reason that doesn't happen with Judas is that the lyrics are a lot harder to remember than Tarzan Boy's.

Though if you do have trouble remembering the lyrics to Tarzan Boy, here's a helpful screen shot from Google:

Tarzan-Boy.png

You make it seem so easy. Those Gunn Club goofuses tried to start the chant half a dozen times and nobody, I mean NOBODY in the crowd could get the timing down. As a generally disaffected American I imagine there's football fans in England who can sing Rogers & Hammerstein in three-part harmony while shitpants drunk. American wrestling crowds? They can barely handle "Seven Nation Army" without choking on their chicken tenders.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, EVA said:

- Segment was up 28k in 18-49 on preceding; segment immediately after was down 51k in 18-49. Net loss of 23k. Viewers of show lost, not retained. Increase in segment lead-in may have also been helped by resolution of earlier segment streaming technical issues. 

- As mentioned, YT views on in-week Archer/Kingston exceeds. YT views on Bucks/GB doubled.

- Previous week: 5 show segments yield higher YT views than angle segment that same week. Incl. Inner Circle (4x), Moxley (2x), Sting (2x), Hangman, Miro 

This is before we discuss cost-of-viewer. I would fairly safely assume Shaq is higher cost than Charles Taylor in suit / Silver begging Hangman. 

So swinging back around, no, I don’t see what this is doing for them. Zero (or negative) viral buzz. Very poor quality segments creatively & utilisation of costly product. Viewers lost at end of segment not retained. Mediocre or very poor digital engagement after-fact.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:47 AM, Goodear said:

The FTR vs. Jurassic Express feud is the kind of booking I like. I may have slightly altered the steps to get here (this felt like a fourth point of escalation instead of a second, I may have had Jungle Boy get a roll up instead of a submission)

I disagree.  If the point is getting Jungle Boy over and get him going in the direction of eventually becoming a hot singles act, a rollup isn't going to do it.  In this era, a rollup just means you're a lower midcard act who got lucky. 

I keep coming back to how wrestling has changed, in part by so many viewers getting smarter and in part to WWE's awful booking choices.  Back in the day, a plucky babyface on the rise winning with a rollup would be a hot angle.  Now everybody knows it's meaningless 50/50 bullshit meant to drag out a program.

• Like 3