DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

Ghost Protocol really established the image Cruise would try to cultivate for the remainder of the decade. It started to turn around his prospects and took a franchise most people had written off and made it something people actually got excited about. If the guy who directed The Iron Giant didn't make a fun as hell movie where Tom Cruise hangs off the side of the Burj Khalifa, I doubt anyone would still care about Cruise in 2020. 

Considering how much stuff can just blow by people because there's so much CGI around these days and audiences don't necessarily bite on everything, there's a way to present this that doesn't do a good enough job of emphasizing the scale and danger of it all. Bird and everyone involved did an amazing job keeping the city around him and the ground below him ever-present. I love it. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

No you were right  it's 30.

Yeah - I confused myself because... spoiler... your #3 will be the very first movie I post today.

It was the last one I prepped so that is why it was fresh in my head.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Regarding Homecoming: I still think Holland is the best Spider-man and Michael Keaton is great but far too much teenage angst for me to consider voting for it.

Fair enough. I was expecting the angst and it delivered, and the reveal of who Keaton is the father of just about killed me. I have not seen Far From Home yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Fair enough. I was expecting the angst and it delivered, and the reveal of who Keaton is the father of just about killed me. I have not seen Far From Home yet.

I liked Far From Home more (also helpful that we didn't have to spend time on origin story).

Obviously Keaton > Jake G but it has less teenage angst (there was still was some however)

I also note again that I watched FFH with my teenage son so that was a much better experience

• Like 2

Whoops hit post a little too soon

Here is @Lawful Metal's review of It Follows from Halloween Havoc 2016

And since I am in that thread and I didn't post it when the movie showed up

Here is Train to Busan review from the same year (Ironically, selected by Lawful)

97) DUNKIRK (2017)

Director: Christopher Nolan

247 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: EVA (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime, The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/81%) : METACRITIC (94/8.3)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Weirdly most of the discussion is from the 2017 Blockbuster thread talking about how it boned oh so many of us on our ballots

• Like 2

I don’t know if it would even occur to me to categorize Moneyball as a baseball movie. I certainly don’t care about baseball or sports movies in general. It was actually hard to vote for something Sorkin was involved in, but I can’t knock him for finally being involved in something not awful. 

Glad I'm not the only one here who feels that way about Sorkin.

Pitt is real good in this one. Corny lines, abrasive shitheel behaviour, and Sorkin speeches that would rub me wrong in less capable hands land big here. The movie even sells the wistful, maudlin stuff fairly well. And I've stumbled onto it on cable too many times and enjoyed it too much for it not to have found a spot on my list. I've got respect in my heart for movies that belong in the Shawshank Redemption/The Rock category of Perfect Movie to Air on Cable Until the End of Time. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

As someone who read the book and follows the subject matter - it was very difficult to separate all of that from the actual film.

It is also possible I am still bitter that Steven Soderbergh didn't end up as the director.

Yeah, I find MONEYBALL immensely rewarchable.  I think I’ve grown to like it more over time than when I first saw it.  I also agree that I don’t even really think of it as a baseball movie.

Very surprised by the lack of DUNKIRK appreciation, I must say.