DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

The Gasol for Bynum deal is apparently not happening per Mark Medina, local Laker beat writer. 

Meanwhile, more illness and injuries in Laker-land with Xavier Henry out for a few days with a knee injury. Wes Johnson is sick, but will be available to play. 

I almost think we'll end the season with Swaggy P as the last man standing for the Lakers.

So something I thought about tonight during the Mavs-Twolves game.  Is Kevin Love a MVP candidate?  I say no.  His statline is amazing, but it doesn't lead to wins.  If you are going based on stats alone, you could have made a case for Rondo a couple of seasons.

Simmons had a good discussion with Zack Lowe about Love on their most recent podcast together. Rough summary:  he may or may not(depending on who point of view you favor) be an incarnation of Jerry Lucas, a guy who gets stats to the deteriment of his team.

The Gasol for Bynum deal is apparently not happening per Mark Medina, local Laker beat writer. 

Meanwhile, more illness and injuries in Laker-land with Xavier Henry out for a few days with a knee injury. Wes Johnson is sick, but will be available to play. 

I almost think we'll end the season with Swaggy P as the last man standing for the Lakers.

Nick Young ends up scoring 64 points after going 25-78 when he refuses to pass or let any other D-Leaguer called up shoot.

I never really realized how die-hard this city is with the Thunder sometimes.  I was at a bar kicking off the New Year's festivities with the game on the background, and good Lord, you would have thought they had just lost the Finals.  Not sure I've ever seen a group of people so emotional over a regular season loss.  And then the cameras showed people literally crying in the stands.

Watching Gametime on the DVR from last night and the NBATV hierarchy sees Rick Kamla and Sam Mitchell at the bottom.  They got stuck doing the New Year's Eve shift.

I think it goes:

Ernie

Weiner

Vince

Kamla

Greenberg

Shaq

Kenny

Webber

Greg Anthony

Smitty

Dennis Scott

Rick Fox

Isiah Thomas

Mike Fratello

Sam Mitchell

Those are a little thrown off because some of it has to do with when some of them are available because they have other jobs.

Farmar injured again! Out 4-weeks! The Kendal Marshall era begins and should last about a game before he too tears something! So many injuries this season for the Lakers....

They're slowly dipping to were now I think a few East non-playoff teams can leapfrog over them, which is what they need. I'm going to guess the Lakers end up 6th, which improves their ping pong ball odds to get a top 3 pick.

Speaking of sub .500 East teams.  The Nets left early after getting blown out by the Spurs.

Here is the referees correctly deciding to embarrass them for being unprofessional douches:

http://youtu.be/srcQHFNGEOs

I start cringing around 40 seconds in. 

• Like 1

So something I thought about tonight during the Mavs-Twolves game.  Is Kevin Love a MVP candidate?  I say no.  His statline is amazing, but it doesn't lead to wins.  If you are going based on stats alone, you could have made a case for Rondo a couple of seasons.

Simmons had a good discussion with Zack Lowe about Love on their most recent podcast together. Rough summary:  he may or may not(depending on who point of view you favor) be an incarnation of Jerry Lucas, a guy who gets stats to the deteriment of his team.

Man, i really don't know what else he can do.  Great rebounder, good passing big man, can knock down the three, and has hit clutch shots for them time and time again.  I don't see how he can be a detriment.

Man, i really don't know what else he can do.  Great rebounder, good passing big man, can knock down the three, and has hit clutch shots for them time and time again.  I don't see how he can be a detriment.

He could not be soft as butter on the defensive end. He's gotten better but he's still not very good.

• Like 1

Love gets that whole "doesn't make his teammates better" tag that may or may not be fair.

I think I may have already said this in this thread, but good lord would he be a great #2 guy on a serious contender.

I'm surprised the Lakers even have their own pick this year. 

This caused me to look it up and it will have been EIGHT YEARS since they actually kept a first round pick around for any length of time and 5 since they even had one.

My favorite stretch of 2nd round picks has to be 2011-2012 where they went with players from Nigeria, Australia and Canada consecutively.  I'm pretty sure that's a strategy that's never worked before. (I do love Robert Sacre, though.)

Love would be great even if he himself had a solid #2.  Great power forwards absolutely need a great SG or SF to play off of.  Pekovic ends up having to work really hard trying to clean up the defensive mess that is the Timberwolves, as well.  If Love were more solid on the defensive end, they would be a much stronger team.  What makes Love a detriment is that he plays alot like Kobe, in that he's going to look for his shot first 9 times out of 10.

That touch stat Charlie mentioned a while ago speaks volumes to that. There are quite a few similarities between Blake Griffin and Kevin Love in that they are hugely talented but flawed players that need to evolve if they want to win. It starts with their defensive capabilities.

NBA.com has a stat where they track players defending at the rim. Love's opponents make 58% of their shots at the rim against him. Compare that to even Z-Bo at 53%, Bosh is at 54%, and Pau at 50%. Shit, even Blake is at 54%. The only "comparable" with stats that bad is Big Baby.

He's actually in a very similar position to the last superstar PF to play in Minnesota.

Of course, Garnett was arguably the best defensive player in the association, and Love, uh...  isn't.

• Like 1

So, yeah...this Curry kid might have a future.

Any small guard who can create for himself and others is going to be problematic for Miami.

That has always been the case though, all the way back to the first NWO season. Derrick Rose, and even Barea and Nate Robinson are good examples of this.

Fuck last night. How about down 15 in the fourth on a back to back on the road and you somehow come back and AI goes walk-off for the second time this year?

Jump on the bandwagon, folks. Plenty of room. No need to even think about the supposed early season funk they were in.

• Like 1