DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

40 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Watched a stream from NLegacyInc on the game and I do like that the Explosions in the NRBW match does actually look like seriously explosion and not the version that I saw in the preview that basically looked like the actual match.  Unless they have it set up so randomly the explosions will be awful.   Although the wrestlers almost immediately no sold it.  So it does have the realism of AEW 😁

The trivia part of the mini games was a lot harder than I expected although if you play it enough it does repeat.   The blood is every bit as bad (or great depending on likes) as the previews.  The thumbtacks spots are almost disturbing 

If you and your opponent taunt at the same time when the timer hits 0, the real life explosion happens. Obviously that can’t be done against the AI, but yeah. There’s two different explosions in that mode. It’s just a little easter egg.

I love that mode, you can even throw your opponent outside into the C4 barbwire boards (opponent against the ropes and trigger your finisher, I believe), but I wish you could change the timer length. But it makes sense given how short matches are. The only time I’ve ever gotten above 5 minutes in a match was online.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Watched a stream from NLegacyInc on the game and I do like that the Explosions in the NRBW match does actually look like seriously explosion and not the version that I saw in the preview that basically looked like the actual match.  Unless they have it set up so randomly the explosions will be awful.   Although the wrestlers almost immediately no sold it.  So it does have the realism of AEW 😁

It seems like the explosions are sensitive to the level of contact you make with the ropes, which is pretty cool. I noticed a difference between when I just sort of knocked MJF into the ropes with a punch (some sparks, a little poof of smoke) versus when I forcefully threw him into the ropes (big fucking boom). Also it seemed like once I triggered a major explosion on a particular side of the ring, I could only get small minor explosions on that side afterward. Didn’t fully test that, though.

• Like 1

Granted this was 23 years ago, but I’m pretty sure that’s how those AKI games were too. They didn’t tell you shit. Everything about this game reminds me of No Mercy, both good and bad.

• Like 1

The AKI games at least had decent instruction books you could refer to (until you lost them).

I played a couple of matches last night.  I dig it.  It's not quite No Mercy, more WCW vs the World in that it's a good base and I'm interested to see where they take it.  The lack of options in create mode is pretty disappointing but also feels like something that can be improved with patches/DLC.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

Granted this was 23 years ago, but I’m pretty sure that’s how those AKI games were too. They didn’t tell you shit. Everything about this game reminds me of No Mercy, both good and bad.

My friends and I never used default settings. We always remapped the buttons.

I played a little too much of RTE last night and honestly, I don't think I'll play RTE ever again. It's such a fucking weird mode. It's so weird and the most Japanese and random shit ever that I figured that Jeff Gerstmann and Alex Navaro would have loved it, but they're both pretty meh on it. Going through 4 different tasks after every match is fucking annoying and gets old really fast. I laughed the first time I saw the SNES graphics for the plane going from one location to another. And then laughed again when the food to eat in a restaurant in LA or San Francisco was fucking avocado toast. That's the best they could come up with. It's all so weird and cringey. Then you listen to the background music and it is like music taken straight out of a Sega Genesis billiards game. Just real low-fi, midi smooth jazz. Then there are the moments with selfies, or choosing to go out to dinner with someone. I chose Sting as someone to go out to dinner with, and the written dialogue towards the waitress is fucking bananas. This shit is so weird at times that it feels like they contracted Suda 51 or SWERY to write it or they did their best job trying to emulate what Suda 51 or SWERY would do.

RTE is so bafflingly weird that I don't know if I should love it and be charmed by it or just outright hate it because it's pretty lazy. Either way, I don't think I'll play it again.

What's worse are some of the matches it throws you into. Tag matches are an utter nightmare. Having a mechanic or AI to basically have the match turn completely chaotic anytime a tag is made or a pin is made was...a choice. That said, if they were going for the feel of there basically being no rules in tag matches in AEW then they nailed it. And RTE puts you in A LOT of tag matches.

Then, after cruising along to a 15-4 record or something like that, I face Pac at Full Gear...IN A MATCH WHERE DQs ARE ON...and the rest of Death Triangle comes out and the three of them kick the shit out of me for a good few minutes. They're straight up mugging me in the ring, right in front of the ref, and the ref just stands there like a fucking dope. I had to laugh at that. Then my next feud was against Anna Jay?! Mind you, I'm playing this mode as Eddie Kingston. So being booked against Anna Jay was extremely weird as I basically beat the brakes off of her. The culmination of that feud was Sting turning on me and having to face the two of them in a handicap match. Credit where credit is due though. There's a power up you can buy that just gives you SPECIAL the entire match. So I went into that match just backfisting both of them over and over again until I could go for the pin. Then in the commentary on screen, it brings up how they can't believe Sting turned on you after going out to dinner with him months ago.

My final stretch on RTE was nothing but gauntlet matches where the first opponent's difficulty was set to god mode and I never beat my first opponent in those gauntlet matches.

So yeah. RTE is the weirdest mode I've ever played in a wrestling game. It's utterly bizarre and there's a certain charm to that. It was either hastily thrown together just to have something in the game, or it's the most Japanese shit ever and Yukes thought they were making something good or intentionally weird. There's just no in between.

And none of this is a commentary on the actual gameplay, which is pretty good for the most part. It's exactly as I describe and like I figured it would be, which is very similar to AKI's first couple WCW games. This is basically a game where the engine came first and they had to build around that. I'm pretty excited to see what happens if they get the opportunity to take the engine they have, improve on it while building the rest of the game instead of having to just shove in some random shit to kinda justify a $60 price tag.

• Thanks 3

I'm re-reading what I typed out and it looks like I described a fever dream. RTE is the wildest career mode ever made. Like, I almost want to encourage people to get the game and not skip out on RTE just to see how utterly strange it is.

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The snapshot selfie sounds fun in RTE.

It is. I like it a lot, honestly.

I’m on mobile so I’m not gonna go through the effort of quoting all of that and snipping out the part I’m addressing, but @Craig H you can just skip the workouts and stuff if you’re playing as a non-CAW. Maybe still do dining to get the energy back up, and the sight seeing for motivation, but there are power-ups to buy for both of those things. The workout thing is for CAWs so you can boost up their stats. All it does here for someone like you or me using Punk or Eddie is convert to in-game money once the mode is over (the little dumbbell icon on the UI).

Also you had the exact same storyline as I did. Except replace Anna Jay and Sting with Thunder Rosa and Danielson.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Log said:

My son won the world title with Adam Cole. I'm in the basement working, so I can't be sure, but I thought I heard him dedicate the win to @just drew.

Lucky for him no one can change the channel in that scenario, right?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I won't get to play this so how's the no rope barbed wire exploding death match and did Yukes do my man, Bryan Danielson right? Thanks.

The deathmatch is one of my favorite modes. Just wish you could adjust the timer, but with how short matches are, the explosion is probably perfectly timed.

And I’ve used Danielson to win the majority of my matches online. Lots of ways to win with him, most submission based. Busaiku Knee feels impactful, IMO. And his corner backflip is a thing you have to manually do, it’s not a part of a long animation for another move or anything. His character model isn’t terribly spot on like some others, but it’s not Andrade levels either. Seriously, that’s a really bad likeness of El Idolo.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

The deathmatch is one of my favorite modes. Just wish you could adjust the timer, but with how short matches are, the explosion is probably perfectly timed.

And I’ve used Danielson to win the majority of my matches online. Lots of ways to win with him, most submission based. Busaiku Knee feels impactful, IMO. And his corner backflip is a thing you have to manually do, it’s not a part of a long animation for another move or anything. His character model isn’t terribly spot on like some others, but it’s not Andrade levels either. Seriously, that’s a really bad likeness of El Idolo.

Cheers, fella. You happy with how CM Punk turned out knowing he's your guy?

I just had a PAC vs OC match go 10:32, possibly because I'm still bad at the game and I insisted on trying to win with a Black Arrow that he kept reversing. I'd lost the first two though so it felt good, and there were a few good near falls on either side. I kicked out of the orange punch and his mousetrap flash pin

Edited by Firebreaker Chip

I messed around with this a bit and really like it so far.  Lost my first singles match (Eddie vs Darby) because I couldn't figure out how to hit a finisher.  Played a bunch of one one one with my daughter, who also likes it a lot.  Made a CAW with her.  Edit mode is just fine for me so far but how the fuck do you change items' colors?  I see the "paint palette" icon but I can't figure the damn thing out.  Anyway, lots of wrestler names pre-programmed in there for ring announcing.  Too many to list but I did see "Rock," "Misawa," and "Meltzer."  Lots of team names as well, including The Unbreakable Machines.  Just a ton of cool Easter eggs for fans.  So yeah, good so far, no complaints.  I do hope they do an update patch to change the looks of wrestlers like Statlander, Cage, and Trent.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I messed around with this a bit and really like it so far.  Lost my first singles match (Eddie vs Darby) because I couldn't figure out how to hit a finisher.  Played a bunch of one one one with my daughter, who also likes it a lot.  Made a CAW with her.  Edit mode is just fine for me so far but how the fuck do you change items' colors?  I see the "paint palette" icon but I can't figure the damn thing out.  Anyway, lots of wrestler names pre-programmed in there for ring announcing.  Too many to list but I did see "Rock," "Misawa," and "Meltzer."  Lots of team names as well, including The Unbreakable Machines.  Just a ton of cool Easter eggs for fans.  So yeah, good so far, no complaints.  I do hope they do an update patch to change the looks of wrestlers like Statlander, Cage, and Trent.

Once you've chosen the item and are taken back to the list of items, you press a button (I think on the PlayStation version it's square... it'll be on the bottom of your screen) and that'll open up the color palette. Not exactly intuitive.

6 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Once you've chosen the item and are taken back to the list of items, you press a button (I think on the PlayStation version it's square... it'll be on the bottom of your screen) and that'll open up the color palette. Not exactly intuitive.

Thanks!  I'll try it out.  I have an Xbox but I'll see if maybe it's X, since that's in the same position as square.